Week 3: 28.85% (15/52)
Week 4: 35.13% (13/37)
Week 5: 29.17% (7/24)
Week 6: 23.53% (4/17)
Week 7: 38.46% (5/13)
Week 8: 0% (0/8)
Week 9: 37.5% (3/8)

Maximum possible Undefeated Teams at End of the Regular Season:

4: The last undefeated Big 12 team eliminated.

Possible undefeated teams: Alabama/Georgia, Wisconsin, Miami (FL), and Central Florida

Week 9 Thoughts:
-We now have only one possible remaining games between undefeated teams in the regular season. With South Florida and Penn State losing, only a possible Alabama vs. Georgia match-up in the SEC Championship Game remains a possible game between undefeated teams in the regular season.

-We lost our last 1-loss Conference USA team with Marshall falling.

-Biggest movement in the Big Ten. With Ohio State’s comeback win vs. previously unbeaten Penn State and Michigan State’s overtime loss to Northwestern, they have an effective 2 game lead over everyone except Michigan State.

-The Big 12 became murkier this week and is truly a 4-team race with 3 1-loss teams (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU) and 2 loss Iowa State all tied on top the standings. Iowa State is having a fantastic season, but I am sure conference officials are less than pleased to see it given they removed both Oklahoma and TCU from the ranks of the unbeaten while they still have 2 losses themselves. This is the most interesting of the conferences races to me right now though.

-SEC sees Georgia go into a commanding spot in the east. Best chance for someone else going from the east would South Carolina though. They would have to beat Georgia this week and a struggling Florida team the following week. If they could pull off the upset vs. the Bulldogs though, Florida would seem easier and then they would need Auburn to beat Georgia. That’s a lot that would need to go right, but not out of the question. Speaking of Auburn, they are probably the biggest thing standing in the way of an undefeated Alabama vs. undefeated Georgia SEC title game as they still have both on the schedule.

-PAC-12 is down to a single one loss team with Washington.

-On the Group of 5 side of things, we saw South Florida lose their first game, but that by itself really doesn’t change much. If they win out, they are still likely in. It does re-enforce the idea to me though that they are probably not the top of the conference despite having the pre-season hype. American winner still highly likely to be in the Fiesta or Peach Bowls (won’t be Cotton this year). If end up with a 2 or more-loss champion though (likely would have to be from the west), a 2-loss Boise State or 1-loss Toledo still stand at least a chance.

Week 10 Thoughts
Our undefeated teams play in the following games: LSU @ undefeated Alabama, South Carolina @ undefeated Georgia, 1-loss Virginia Tech @ undefeated Miami (FL), undefeated Central Florida @ SMU, and undefeated Wisconsin @ Indiana

-With those games, a few things stand out to me.
1. I think Georgia will kill South Carolina, but if I am wrong the SEC East race gets thrown on its head as if it lost, Georgia would likely be underdogs to Auburn too and losing both would leave South Carolina in control (that said, I expect Georgia to win).
2. Virginia Tech @ Miami leaves the winner in control of the division and as the favorite to go to the ACC Championship.

-We have one game between one loss teams: Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State
Looser likely eliminated from Rose/Sugar race and might have tough time getting back in Big 12 race (although not out).

-Notable games with 1-loss teams: 1-loss Ohio State @ Iowa, 1-loss Clemson @ North Carolina State, 1-loss Penn State @ Michigan State
Clemson @ NCSU is huge for the division. Winner controls their destiny and is likely heading to ACC Championship. Penn State @ Michigan State will eliminate one team from divisional race. While a long shot, Michigan State still controls their conference destiny.

-Winless Baylor plays at Kansas and this will be their best shot at a win.

-Key game between 2 teams with more than 1-loss each: 2 loss Arizona @ 2-loss USC
-Winner will lead by themselves in PAC-12 South

Remaining Undefeated Teams:
ACC: 1, American: 1, Big 12: 0, Big Ten: 1, SEC: 2, total: 5
Miami (FL)
Wisconsin
Central Florida
Georgia
Alabama

One-Loss Teams:
ACC: 2, American: 2, Big 12: 3, Big Ten: 2, Conference USA: 0, MAC: 1, PAC-12: 1. SEC: 0, independents: 1, total: 12
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Toledo
Oklahoma State
Memphis
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma
Clemson
Washington
Penn State
Texas Christian
South Florida

Remaining Winless Teams:
Big 12: 1, Conference USA: 1, Sun Belt: 1, total: 3
Baylor
UTEP
Georgia Southern
10-30-2017 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams Before Week 10
SEC East-Kentucky has to beat Ole Miss at home, Vandy on the road and UGA on the road while having UGA lose one other to win the east. They already beat South Carolina.
10-31-2017 06:35 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Don't sleep on South Carolina against UGA
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 01:33 PM by Gamecock.)
10-31-2017 01:13 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-31-2017 01:13 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Don't sleep on South Carolina against UGA

That was my scheduled nap time. The Dawgs are favored by 24!
10-31-2017 03:22 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(10-31-2017 03:22 PM)ken d Wrote:  

I’m not a gambling man, but 24 points is basically free money.

Ultimately we’ll find out Saturday, but it’s going to be a very close game
10-31-2017 08:42 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-31-2017 08:42 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(10-31-2017 03:22 PM)ken d Wrote:  

I’m not a gambling man, but 24 points is basically free money.

Ultimately we’ll find out Saturday, but it’s going to be a very close game

In 2015, teams favored by more than 21 points won 98% of the time. Just sayin'.
10-31-2017 10:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.