Hi 62
Sunset 6:28 pm
Evening:
Cloudy Rain
Lo 45
Thunderstorm 20%
Rain .23 inches

Gametime 6pm
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 04:40 PM by Boca Rocket.)
10-29-2017 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Weather for NIU
Updated forecast:

Game temps: 57-59 degrees
Wind 6-7 mph SSW
Cloudy Rain holding off until 11pm
Chance of precipitation:
6pm 6%
7pm 9%
8pm 9%
9pm 24%
10pm 24%
11pm 64%

Go RRRockets!!!02-13-banana
10-31-2017 10:14 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I played sports - I never got nervous or jittery about the outcome or losing. Now, I get almost to the point of having anxiety when a big game is coming up. Just curious - is that the same for others? Is it an age thing, or just wanting something and not being able to have any control over the outcome?

In any event, I just hope the team comes out fired up and ready to play and execute a solid game plan well. Having seen enough of NIU over the years under the current coach - we should know pretty much what to expect out of their offense. If we play well and aggressively and do not commit stupid penalties (thinking back to WMU 2 years ago) and lose - then it is not as painful.

It may sound stupid, but I hope the players want a championship season this year - not NEXT YEAR, which has become our mantra to some extent having gone through the CMU, NIU and WMU years of winning. It's our turn to make it happen.
10-31-2017 10:25 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Watching is always more nerve racking but only slow starts set my jitters. I want us to win the coin, take the ball, score, force a turnover, score, then my jitters settle.
10-31-2017 10:48 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I still can't get over the NIU game from about 6 years ago - the infamous holding the timeouts game.

First, an NIU linebacker runs over a member of our band and causes injuries including a concussion. I saw it happen and his reaction of jumping and skipping and clowning after he did it. It was not an accident.

Then we kick off - TD return by Tommy Lee Jones. We get the ball back - and march down the field to score rather easily. Like a knife through warm butter. 7-7. We kick-off - and Tommy Lee Jones returns his second in a row for a TD. I was screaming so loud I'm surprised I didn't have a stroke. Down 14-7 and their offense had not even been on the field yet.

Anyway it ends up with the stupidity at the end of the game when Beckman famously says after that game - "...it all comes done to the point that we have to stop them from scoring" No dumba$$. We already proved we couldn't. The point was that we end up with the ball and enough time to come back and score again - because they could not stop us either.

Then it was the fiasco from 2 years ago. All we have to do is beat NIU with their 3 string QB playing in a game in our stadium. We lose. Then Ohio U comes out and beats NIU for their second loss. Now all we have to do is beat WMU at homethe day after Thanksgiving - and we win the West. they come out fired up, we come out flat as hell. That was the game of the Alonzo Russell targeting call and the Alonzo Russell attempt to field a flubbed punt that he then fumbles. We lose again.

Time for us to play like champions....
10-31-2017 11:05 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I feel the same pain as the other posters in this string. The time out game with the two returns for TD's was a killer. We got new life a few years ago after OU beat them and couldn't seal the deal at HOME against their 4th string QB they pulled out of the stands, grrrrrrr.

I'm nervous as hell for this game. It's the first one of a tough 4 game stretch, but this one is the most important. We lose and we're done. I know I'm stating the obvious and not trying to raise the stakes more than what everyone in the stands or team already knows. They just have to get it DONE on Thur.

Their offense is like when any team plays the triple option, it takes a while to adjust and sometimes you just don't match up well. We for some reason don't match up against NIU's offense well or any team that has a running quarterback.

I think our defense is much improved from the beginning of the season until now, so now is the time to see how improved. I just want to keep scoring until we max out the numbers on the scoreboard. We have 7 years of angst to clear out of our system. NIU has been our roadblock to the MAC championship game as BG Skated through the cream puff east. A few years ago BG represented the east and they would have been 4th in the West. For a few years the west didn't lose a game to the east.
10-31-2017 11:24 AM
Advertisement

BDV27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(10-31-2017 11:05 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I still can't get over the NIU game from about 6 years ago - the infamous holding the timeouts game.

First, an NIU linebacker runs over a member of our band and causes injuries including a concussion. I saw it happen and his reaction of jumping and skipping and clowning after he did it. It was not an accident.

Then we kick off - TD return by Tommy Lee Jones. We get the ball back - and march down the field to score rather easily. Like a knife through warm butter. 7-7. We kick-off - and Tommy Lee Jones returns his second in a row for a TD. I was screaming so loud I'm surprised I didn't have a stroke. Down 14-7 and their offense had not even been on the field yet.

Anyway it ends up with the stupidity at the end of the game when Beckman famously says after that game - "...it all comes done to the point that we have to stop them from scoring" No dumba$$. We already proved we couldn't. The point was that we end up with the ball and enough time to come back and score again - because they could not stop us either.

Then it was the fiasco from 2 years ago. All we have to do is beat NIU with their 3 string QB playing in a game in our stadium. We lose. Then Ohio U comes out and beats NIU for their second loss. Now all we have to do is beat WMU at homethe day after Thanksgiving - and we win the West. they come out fired up, we come out flat as hell. That was the game of the Alonzo Russell targeting call and the Alonzo Russell attempt to field a flubbed punt that he then fumbles. We lose again.

Also recall us giving up 4th Down and like 40 yards in the NIU game 2 years ago. If get off the feild,we win. That game and the WMU game from 2015 are the 2 most dissapointing losses in my memory and both happened two weeks apart. Mostly because of how we lost thos games and what was at stake. That should have been our special year.
10-31-2017 11:58 AM
zurkman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Channel 13 says mainly dry for the game. 50's with a breeze......... I'll take it for November.
10-31-2017 08:40 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-31-2017 11:58 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(10-31-2017 11:05 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I still can't get over the NIU game from about 6 years ago - the infamous holding the timeouts game.

Also recall us giving up 4th Down and like 40 yards in the NIU game 2 years ago. If get off the feild,we win. That game and the WMU game from 2015 are the 2 most dissapointing losses in my memory and both happened two weeks apart. Mostly because of how we lost thos games and what was at stake. That should have been our special year.

Agree ----win those two games, beat BG again at Ford Field and the Rockets would very likely have been playing for a very big payday on New Years and with a realistic chance to win with the possibility of a top ten finish in the polls. Really too bad---opportunities like that don't come down the pike very often and it was within their grasp .....but they just couldn't hold on. What a shame. I will always believe the team was aware of Campbell's likely departure before the Western game and that contributed to that loss-----no explanation for the NIU loss however----just couldn't stand prosperity I guess
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 09:48 PM by T-Town.)
10-31-2017 09:45 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU

The hell are you talking about? There has never been a 4th and long which NIU needed to desperately convert in any of the many recent NIU victories over Toledo.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 10:42 PM by 7.)
10-31-2017 10:39 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
(10-31-2017 10:39 PM)7 Wrote:  

The hell are you talking about? There has never been a 4th and long which NIU needed to desperately convert in any of the many recent NIU victories over Toledo.

It was 3rd and forever
11-01-2017 07:16 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-01-2017 07:16 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  

It was 3rd and forever

NIU fans still remember a 3rd and 33 that we gave up against Toledo that cost us a game and that was more than a decade ago I think. I agree it's a gut punch when that happens.
11-01-2017 07:41 AM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
(11-01-2017 07:41 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

It was 3rd and forever

NIU fans still remember a 3rd and 33 that we gave up against Toledo that cost us a game and that was more than a decade ago I think. I agree it's a gut punch when that happens.

i cant remember the year of the whole situation, but NIU had 3rd and 30something about from their own 20, and floated a bomb straight down the middle over our terrible defensive backs, and it was caught by either Galladay or Lewis, whichever was torching us at the time.
11-01-2017 07:47 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets

It was 3rd and forever

G-string: eternally 14.
11-01-2017 08:19 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(11-01-2017 07:47 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  
(10-31-2017 11:58 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  Also recall us giving up 4th Down and like 40 yards in the NIU game 2 years ago. If get off the feild,we win. That game and the WMU game from 2015 are the 2 most dissapointing losses in my memory and both happened two weeks apart. Mostly because of how we lost thos games and what was at stake. That should have been our special year.

It was 3rd and forever

i cant remember the year of the whole situation, but NIU had 3rd and 30something about from their own 20, and floated a bomb straight down the middle over our terrible defensive backs, and it was caught by either Galladay or Lewis, whichever was torching us at the time.

Yeah it was 3rd down. Im't getting old. Recall isn't as sharp as it used to be. Bottom line, that play was the differnce in the game. I do know that it was late in the 4th and pretty sure that drive ended up with NIU taking the lead.
11-01-2017 08:47 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(11-01-2017 08:47 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(10-31-2017 10:39 PM)7 Wrote:  The hell are you talking about? There has never been a 4th and long which NIU needed to desperately convert in any of the many recent NIU victories over Toledo.

It was 3rd and forever

Yeah it was 3rd down. Im't getting old. Recall isn't as sharp as it used to be. Bottom line, that play was the differnce in the game. I do know that it was late in the 4th and pretty sure that drive ended up with NIU taking the lead.
For some reason... I cant find this play. I thought i remembered it to. But its not on the 2015 play by play.
11-01-2017 08:59 AM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-31-2017 11:58 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  Also recall us giving up 4th Down and like 40 yards in the NIU game 2 years ago. If get off the feild,we win. That game and the WMU game from 2015 are the 2 most dissapointing losses in my memory and both happened two weeks apart. Mostly because of how we lost thos games and what was at stake. That should have been our special year.

It was 3rd and forever

That was in first half and NIU ended up kicking a field goal on that drive. “If we get off the field we win” is an interesting way to put it.
11-01-2017 09:25 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-31-2017 10:39 PM)7 Wrote:  The hell are you talking about? There has never been a 4th and long which NIU needed to desperately convert in any of the many recent NIU victories over Toledo.

It was 3rd and forever

It was 3rd and 39 in the first half and NIU kicked a FG to cut the Toledo lead to 17-10 lol.
11-01-2017 09:27 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(11-01-2017 09:27 AM)7 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 07:16 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  It was 3rd and forever

It was 3rd and 39 in the first half and NIU kicked a FG to cut the Toledo lead to 17-10 lol.

I guess my brain wanted to foreget as much as possible about that game. LOL
11-01-2017 10:21 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

TBT = Throwup Back Thursday
11-01-2017 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.