Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2007 UCF-USF game
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
2007 UCF-USF game
Just watched bits of the 2007 UCF-USF game on youtube. It is amazing how different the trajectories of each program went over the past 10 years. That crowd was electric. Looked like an NFL game. I am not saying this to flame, but outside of the whole BCS tag being lost, what is missing? They were highly ranked yesterday, but the community just isn't there. Is it just a different demographic in Tampa 10 years later? Would the current Tampa demographic get behind that same team, even with the #2 ranking in 2017?
10-29-2017 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightNasty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
RE: 2007 UCF-USF game
They went from a BCS conference to "demoted" to a G5 in their fan bases eyes...
10-29-2017 12:15 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-29-2017 12:09 PM)otown Wrote:  Just watched bits of the 2007 UCF-USF game on youtube. It is amazing how different the trajectories of each program went over the past 10 years. That crowd was electric. Looked like an NFL game. I am not saying this to flame, but outside of the whole BCS tag being lost, what is missing? They were highly ranked yesterday, but the community just isn't there. Is it just a different demographic in Tampa 10 years later? Would the current Tampa demographic get behind that same team, even with the #2 ranking in 2017?

This has been discussed many times
1. Drop from BCS status
2. Skip Holtz brings in 4 straight years of losing
3. Clueless administration changes stadium seating donations and screws those that were there from start. Creates a lot of bad blood which still exists.
4. Failure to effectively reach alumni and those in area
5. Professional options in NFL, MLB and NHL fighting for same audience
10-29-2017 12:18 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(10-29-2017 12:18 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(10-29-2017 12:09 PM)otown Wrote:  Just watched bits of the 2007 UCF-USF game on youtube. It is amazing how different the trajectories of each program went over the past 10 years. That crowd was electric. Looked like an NFL game. I am not saying this to flame, but outside of the whole BCS tag being lost, what is missing? They were highly ranked yesterday, but the community just isn't there. Is it just a different demographic in Tampa 10 years later? Would the current Tampa demographic get behind that same team, even with the #2 ranking in 2017?

1. Drop from BCS status
3. Clueless administration changes stadium seating donations and screws those that were there from start. Creates a lot of bad blood which still exists.

Good points.
10-29-2017 12:21 PM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

1. Drop from BCS status

1. Understandably, but that's only superficial. The team was a top 15 last night. Blaming the BCS status change on the empty stadium is essentially calling the Tampa fan base fair weather T shirt fans. I can't buy that. There has to be something more to this, but I can't put my finger on it.
2. That was theoretically a generation ago in football years.
3. I was unaware of that, I guess that can play a role
4. If anything, this should be easier with 10 years worth of alumni graduating since then
5. Never was a problem 10 years ago
10-29-2017 12:28 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
It's 90% the loss of bcs tag.

Going from being in an aq conference playing big name teams to being demoted back to cusa destroyed us. What little was left died with the skip holtz years of losing.
10-29-2017 12:36 PM
otown Offline
All American

(10-29-2017 12:36 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  It's 90% the loss of bcs tag.

Going from being in an aq conference playing big name teams to being demoted back to cusa destroyed us. What little was left died with the skip holtz years of losing.

So it was only the tag that got them fans? Sure, maybe a few, but there has to be a lot more to it. As far as the opponents, that 2007 season your home conference slate included WV, Cincinnati, and Louisville. I wouldn't call that big name teams.

Whoever is the head of marketing needs to find a new job. In fact, the entire athletic administration needs to rethink their entire approach.
10-29-2017 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
It's not really all that different than what happened to UH following the end of the SWC, although USF was only in the club for a short period of time.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 12:48 PM by Chappy.)
10-29-2017 12:46 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-29-2017 12:46 PM)Chappy Wrote:  It's not really all that different than what happened to UH following the end of the SWC, although USF was only in the club for a short period of time.

Yes but Houston had a lot longer time to establish a fan base. USF didn’t have that so the fan base was not established when the demotion happened. As I stated there are other issues but that’s the biggie.
10-29-2017 12:51 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
How many USF alumni are in the Tampa area? I can't understand an alumni base that won't support their team, especially if they're winning. If this is truly a revolt from a seating shuffle then the administration should be scrambling to make things right. I doubt it's all that though. Apathy has set in and pride must be reinvigorated. Ask USF alum who's not supporting the program if their degree means anything to them anymore? Would they be happy if USF just sank into complete obscurity?

T

...03-cool
10-29-2017 12:55 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-29-2017 12:55 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  How many USF alumni are in the Tampa area? I can't understand an alumni base that won't support their team, especially if they're winning. If this is truly a revolt from a seating shuffle then the administration should be scrambling to make things right. I doubt it's all that though. Apathy has set in and pride must be reinvigorated. Ask USF alum who's not supporting the program if their degree means anything to them anymore? Would they be happy if USF just sank into complete obscurity?

T

...03-cool

Most of the USF alumni graduated before football so athletics in general was never a center piece for pride. When the team went to Big East it brought some of them, the demotion plus the bad years dried out that support. It will take years of rebuilding the fan base with new graduates.
10-29-2017 12:59 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

1. Drop from BCS status

I'm still too butthurt about what Sterlin Gilbert has done to this offense to be able to make coherent arguments, but Cubanbull is pretty much spot on. I've been a charter season ticket holder for USF football, even though I lived thousands of miles away for many years when the program started. Got to know many of the people whose seats were around me, all of whom donated to the Bulls Club at the same level as me. Now, the only season ticket holders who sit anywhere near me (or at least show up to games) is a former head of the alumni association and his wife. I haven't been to a game in 3 years where there wasn't a decent number of the road team's fans sitting all around us, and theoretically we would be surrounded by people in one of the top donation levels to the Bulls Club, meaning that there aren't many of us donating at that level. Once upon a time, we'd see our names in the program listing donors at our level. They don't even acknowledge the donors on the scoreboards any more. While some people are unhappy with the loss of the BCS (which is silly because we used to draw better before we ever even joined the Big East), I think more are unhappy with the way the athletic program is run. The turnover rate is too high, you're not made to feel remotely appreciated... it's like "we have football - show up if you want." And it's not unique to football. Basketball is also a joyless experience. As a perfect example, I just got my "season tickets" in the mail. Well, actually, I didn't. I got my CARD in the mail. We can't even be bothered to print out tickets any more!

This should have been a great time for USF. We returned a stacked team that went 11-2 last year and were media darlings. We hired a name coach, and we controlled our own destiny. Win out against what was a ridiculously easy schedule and you'd play in, at worst, an NY6 bowl. Plus, the only thing we lacked last year was a competent defensive coordinator (look at the drop off from when Tom Allen left 2 years ago, to last year and what Woodie did with those same players, and to this year under Brian Jean Mary - if we had BJM as our DC last year we'd have won the AAC and maybe played in the Cotton Bowl).

But here we are. We've converted a well oiled offensive machine into a team that runs a read option up the middle 20 times a game. And the athletic department's only effort all year has been to fly a plane over campus imploring students to show up for the Cincinnati game. That was it. So you wonder why people don't show up? MOST OF THE ALUMNI PROBABLY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN WE PLAY! Hell, a local realtor (and USF alum) sent out an ad with all of the important football schedules, including the 3 Florida NFL teams on one side and the 3 Florida college football teams on the other. Surprise, USF wasn't one of those 3. It's not going to change until we get a complete turnover and somebody both cleans house and gives a crap. Probably will take an alum, too, because anybody else would jump at a higher paying job elsewhere.

I'm convinced that we're now cursed because of the way the Leavitt and Griffin eras ended here. We're going to have to settle for trophy cases filled with occasional golf and softball trophies.

I think I need some more time off from this, my blood pressure's going through the roof.

[/rant]

USFFan
10-30-2017 09:27 AM
rulethirty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
From my UCF/Orlando eyes, USF rose so incredibly quickly that they captured a ton of t-shirt fans / bandwagon fans that abandoned them as soon as things turned south. It then became kinda a joke to non-diehards.

You actually see the same thing with the Orlando Magic. "Oh, they're good again? :eyeroll:". It's just assumed that they'll flame out or fall apart or etc.

Firing The Jim was a huge, huge mistake.
10-30-2017 09:39 AM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
It is pretty hard to replicate what was happening prior to that game week in and week out.

That was no "normal" game or season. USF had beaten Auburn on the road 5 weeks prior in OT. Probably the biggest "signature win" for the program up till that point.

No one really expected them to beat #5 WVU at home on a Friday night game. Then they won.

Meanwhile, UCF fans and the Orlando Sentinel had been flaming on USF more than usual leading up to that game. The USF QB mentioned he had been poked "6 million times" on Facebook. Then there was the David Whitley picture in the Orlando sentinel riding the Bull in the USF Athletic Building in UCF gear.

USF was ranked #5 going into the UCF game, mostly because of the wacky losses of everybody that year.

In the current environment, it would be impossible to even replicate that schedule which included Auburn, WVU, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pitt.

So it really is an apples and oranges comparison.
10-30-2017 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.