Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The addition of Tulane to the BE/AAC
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
The addition of Tulane to the BE/AAC
Some guy posted this on the MWC Board. Honestly, Is there any truth to is? He said it with certainty, and is claiming this is all been sourced openly by other outlets. I had never read this. Thoughts?

"After Cuse, Louisville and Pitt left, that conference was being referred to as the new Big East because the Catholic 7 were still in. The C7 might have left anyway but the idiotic decision to add Tulane was the final straw which resulted in them voting to leave and the result of that was a further reduction in estimates of income from renegotiation of the conference's TV deal. That, in turn, opened the door for Craig Thompson to put together the special TV deal with ESPN which kept Boise, and therefore also SDSU, in the MWC.

AAC honks like the Memphis guy who posts here frequently continue to refuse to admit it but the nBE's addition of Tulane added absolutely nothing concrete to their TV deal while driving away the C7 and Boise and SDSU which would have added to it. As dumb as the MWC's decision was to add SJSU, the stupidity of that decision pales in comparison to the Tulane decision.

Of course, there will forever be denial by the AAC honks of that fact mainly because if rumor can be believed - and nobody has ever refuted it - the Tulane idea originated with UCF, a school which hadn't even yet been admitted to the nBE itself, calling Mike Aresco and advocating Tulane, then Aresco checking with SMU, another school which hadn't yet joined the conference, and SMU saying what a great idea Tulane was and then Aresco immediately putting together a conference call of his bosses and presenting it as basically a fait accompli.

Considering the above, if any conference in the history of man ever made a dumber decision than the nBE/AAC's addition of Tulane, I haven't heard of it".
10-24-2017 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: The addition of Tulane to the BE/AAC
(10-24-2017 07:14 PM)fanhood Wrote:  Some guy posted this on the MWC Board. Honestly, Is there any truth to is? He said it with certainty, and is claiming this is all been sourced openly by other outlets. I had never read this. Thoughts?

"After Cuse, Louisville and Pitt left, that conference was being referred to as the new Big East because the Catholic 7 were still in. The C7 might have left anyway but the idiotic decision to add Tulane was the final straw which resulted in them voting to leave and the result of that was a further reduction in estimates of income from renegotiation of the conference's TV deal. That, in turn, opened the door for Craig Thompson to put together the special TV deal with ESPN which kept Boise, and therefore also SDSU, in the MWC.

AAC honks like the Memphis guy who posts here frequently continue to refuse to admit it but the nBE's addition of Tulane added absolutely nothing concrete to their TV deal while driving away the C7 and Boise and SDSU which would have added to it. As dumb as the MWC's decision was to add SJSU, the stupidity of that decision pales in comparison to the Tulane decision.

Of course, there will forever be denial by the AAC honks of that fact mainly because if rumor can be believed - and nobody has ever refuted it - the Tulane idea originated with UCF, a school which hadn't even yet been admitted to the nBE itself, calling Mike Aresco and advocating Tulane, then Aresco checking with SMU, another school which hadn't yet joined the conference, and SMU saying what a great idea Tulane was and then Aresco immediately putting together a conference call of his bosses and presenting it as basically a fait accompli.

Considering the above, if any conference in the history of man ever made a dumber decision than the nBE/AAC's addition of Tulane, I haven't heard of it".

05-ban Just go away.
10-24-2017 07:23 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
C7 were already leaving before the Tulane add. Tulane actually fit in with the C7 more than any of the previous schools that were added. More uninformed propaganda.

fanhood gonna fanhood.
10-24-2017 07:25 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(10-24-2017 07:14 PM)fanhood Wrote:  Some guy posted this on the MWC Board. Honestly, Is there any truth to is? He said it with certainty, and is claiming this is all been sourced openly by other outlets. I had never read this. Thoughts?

You make a valid point. I'm gonna go on the sec board and butch about why they allow Ole miss and the like remain in their conference. Maybe they'll kick em to your conference and let us in.
10-24-2017 07:25 PM
Starfox207 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
I am glad to be conference mates with Tulane. Honestly, AAC could have invited anyone, C7 were just looking for any excuse imo from that time.
10-24-2017 07:27 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

(10-24-2017 07:25 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  C7 were already leaving before the Tulane add. Tulane actually fit in with the C7 more than any of the previous schools that were added. More uninformed propaganda.

fanhood gonna fanhood.

That is fair. I didn't know if there was truth to this.
10-24-2017 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Starfox207 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Anyone know why the constant trolling from MWC? Why not just make their board more active on csnbbs. Stay Cool, MAC fans are way classier, and I do feel we are getting more respect from Cusa and Sunbelt fans.
10-24-2017 07:31 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(10-24-2017 07:25 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  C7 were already leaving before the Tulane add. Tulane actually fit in with the C7 more than any of the previous schools that were added. More uninformed propaganda.

fanhood gonna fanhood.

I think that's right. Plus if Tulane was a problem for the basketball schools they would have been added like East Carolina --- who was originally added without its basketball program.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:32 PM by TIGERCITY.)
10-24-2017 07:31 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

Who pissed in fanhood’s cereal again?
10-24-2017 07:35 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

(10-24-2017 07:35 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  Who pissed in fanhood’s cereal again?

Nobody, I just saw that posted, and thought it was interesting. I find realignment more interesting than the games themselves.
10-24-2017 07:36 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

(10-24-2017 07:31 PM)Starfox207 Wrote:  Anyone know why the constant trolling from MWC? Why not just make their board more active on csnbbs. Stay Cool, MAC fans are way classier, and I do feel we are getting more respect from Cusa and Sunbelt fans.

The MW board ran independently is excellent actually. Mug does a great job. People despise each other, talk about ******* each others mothers, and destroying each others programs. I am convinced that if cheating took place (like it does in the SEC), the MWC board folks would root it out, and rat on each other. The place is spectacular.
10-24-2017 07:38 PM
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 07:36 PM)fanhood Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 07:35 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  Who pissed in fanhood’s cereal again?

Nobody, I just saw that posted, and thought it was interesting. I find realignment more interesting than the games themselves.

Thought someone rustled your jimmies for a minute
10-24-2017 07:40 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I don't get this crap as Tulsa was the last all-sports member added...not Tulane...Tulane was a unanimous pick (disclosure: I'm the 'Memphis guy who posts there frequently' so I'll admit I'm biased towards Tulane)
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:45 PM by UofMemphis.)
10-24-2017 07:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fanhood Offline
All American

Just found this. I guess it is true.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story...ources-say

A Big East source from a football-playing school told ESPN on Sunday, "The basketball schools are not thrilled with Tulane" and "would have fallen off the ledge if we would have added East Carolina as a full member."

Williams acknowledged he was "not pleased" specifically about adding Tulane.

"I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things," Williams told 540 ESPN Milwaukee. "I was disappointed that I wasn't able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that."
10-24-2017 07:48 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

Another potential consequence, I didn't remember.

"All these factors also could affect decisions by Boise State and San Diego State to join the league in 2013 as football-only members. Both schools have reiterated that they are committed to the Big East, but if the seven basketball schools leave, it could erase any potential financial gains Boise and SDSU would get from leaving the Mountain West for the Big East."

Always follow the money I guess.
10-24-2017 07:49 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

The C7 had been planning their departure from the football schools for years. There were a lot of backroom conversations. Pitt/Syracuse leaving was ultimately the straw that broke the camel's back, confirming they'd always be second fiddle in today's college football landscape.
10-24-2017 07:52 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
The c-7 split was a win -- win for both sides. The AAC added a huge war chest of funds. We got to rebrand as a conference. The big east got to keep the c-7 together without the football realignment drama.
10-24-2017 07:55 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: 080816_Angry-Wave_600_0.jpg]

Frick the C7 and the molehill pest conference.

[Image: view]
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:59 PM by shere khan.)
10-24-2017 07:56 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

The Western expansion/ECU/Tulsa/Tulane propaganda wasn't the reason. There was not a single football-playing school that the AAC could have added to keep the C7 from leaving. They had been planning their non-football break for quite some time.

fanhood gonna continue to fanhood.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:57 PM by HuskyU.)
10-24-2017 07:56 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(10-24-2017 07:49 PM)fanhood Wrote:  Another potential consequence, I didn't remember.

"All these factors also could affect decisions by Boise State and San Diego State to join the league in 2013 as football-only members. Both schools have reiterated that they are committed to the Big East, but if the seven basketball schools leave, it could erase any potential financial gains Boise and SDSU would get from leaving the Mountain West for the Big East."

Always follow the money I guess.

And now we are set for a big raise and mwc gets pennies. G4 status
10-24-2017 07:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.