Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

RICE vs LaTech ***PRE-GAME THREAD***
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RICE vs LaTech ***PRE-GAME THREAD***
Vegas only has LaTech as a 13 point favorite.

LaTech is 3-4, ranked 92 in Massey (one spot above UTSA). Key games in the schedule have been

vs Miss State - Loss - 57-21
at South Carolina - Loss - 17-16
at UAB - Loss - 23-22
vs Southern Miss - Loss - 34-27 OT

Their wins have been against an FCS team, a UTSA equivalent (new-to-FBS) and WKU.

Offensively, Massey has LaTech at 62 and Defensively at 104. This could pose to be a bad matchup as we seemingly cannot generate any offense and our defense is, well, Rice.

Also, they scored 21 on Mississippi State (Massey #26) and played South Carolina down to the wire (Massey #36), so their Loss resume looks a lot better than ours.

My bet - LaTech covers the spread.
10-24-2017 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: RICE vs LaTech ***PRE-GAME THREAD***
I am moving Saturday and may not be done in time to attend. That may be for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app
10-24-2017 06:09 PM
garthmanuel Offline
Water Engineer

I think Rice is going to win this one. LaTech is a crap team that will be overlooking us. Everyone on this board knows that crap teams can't afford to overlook anyone.

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 06:34 PM by garthmanuel.)
10-24-2017 06:34 PM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech will not cover, I don't care how bad y'all think Rice is this season. We specialize in playing one possession games.
10-24-2017 08:57 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(10-24-2017 06:34 PM)garthmanuel Wrote:  I think Rice is going to win this one. LaTech is a crap team that will be overlooking us. Everyone on this board knows that crap teams can't afford to overlook anyone.

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

+1. I pick the Owls in a 21 - 20 thriller. Louisiana Tech is better, but they're struggling too. I think they take us lightly, and we put it together just enough to get the win.
10-24-2017 10:23 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-24-2017 10:23 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 06:34 PM)garthmanuel Wrote:  I think Rice is going to win this one. LaTech is a crap team that will be overlooking us. Everyone on this board knows that crap teams can't afford to overlook anyone.

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

+1. I pick the Owls in a 21 - 20 thriller. Louisiana Tech is better, but they're struggling too. I think they take us lightly, and we put it together just enough to get the win.

Very different level of struggling. LaTech was competitive in losing to four quality teams, and they do have three wins. We've been competitive in only two games all season. Why would they be taking us lightly? I think much more likely they will be motivated to take out their frustration on us and even their record to position themselves for bowl eligibility.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 10:50 PM by waltgreenberg.)
10-24-2017 10:48 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-24-2017 08:57 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  Tech will not cover, I don't care how bad y'all think Rice is this season. We specialize in playing one possession games.

[Image: haaaaaaaaaaave-you-met-bailiff.jpg]
10-24-2017 11:00 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 10:48 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

Very different level of struggling. LaTech was competitive in losing to four quality teams, and they do have three wins. We've been competitive in only two games all season. Why would they be taking us lightly? I think much more likely they will be motivated to take out their frustration on us and even their record to position themselves for bowl eligibility.

The team is playing hard and it's hungry. They want it. That's the biggest difference between Rice and Louisiana Tech right now. Hopefully we win.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 11:07 PM by Ourland.)
10-24-2017 11:06 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

This. Teams struggling to qualify for a toilet bowl berth take the winnable games very seriously.
10-24-2017 11:25 PM
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
I don't know if anyone here watches 'Men in Blazers' but we play total 'crap football'. Lose by two TDs, at least.
10-25-2017 12:21 AM
Neely's Ghost Offline
Bench Warmer

Well... The Owls will cover... And here is reason number one: Every wager I have placed on a sports team for some time now has been incorrect. With that said, my instincts tell me to jump all over La. Tech and give the points. Partly because I was in Ruston last year. Partly because I see absolutely zero chance that this offense scores 20 points or more with the agenda based play calling in place...... Zero chance....

So... I think I'll just lay a paycheck on the Owls because I'm almost always wrong this year.....
10-25-2017 08:14 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-24-2017 11:06 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

The team is playing hard and it's hungry. They want it. That's the biggest difference between Rice and Louisiana Tech right now. Hopefully we win.

You're joking right? LaTech doesn't want it? They don't want to get to .500, and get within two games of bowl eligibility with 4 winnable games remaining? You do realize they've played the hardest part of their schedule, right?
10-25-2017 08:20 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2017 08:20 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Rice -- 28
LaTech -- 17

You're joking right? LaTech doesn't want it? They don't want to get to .500, and get within two games of bowl eligibility with 4 winnable games remaining? You do realize they've played the hardest part of their schedule, right?

You should pull for them on Saturday.
10-25-2017 10:27 AM
ausowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: New Orleans

New Orleans Bowl
Based on the evidence to date: the odds makers are drunk or high or some combination of both.
10-25-2017 10:36 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
I learned long ago not to bet on football. In a sport in which the points come in bunches of 7's, a lot can happen with just a player slipping down or a pass being tipped.

I have no idea if either team WILL cover. I know both CAN.
10-25-2017 11:01 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-25-2017 10:27 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 10:23 PM)Ourland Wrote:  +1. I pick the Owls in a 21 - 20 thriller. Louisiana Tech is better, but they're struggling too. I think they take us lightly, and we put it together just enough to get the win.

Rather than providing a snarky reply, why don't you answer my questions? IMO, you made a ridiculous comment and I called you on it. No question LaTech has fallen from the Top 50 - 75 team they had been the previous 2 - 3 years, but they're still significantly better than we are and, unlike us, they've been competitive in their losses against quality teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 11:06 AM by waltgreenberg.)
10-25-2017 11:04 AM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2017 11:04 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 10:48 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Very different level of struggling. LaTech was competitive in losing to four quality teams, and they do have three wins. We've been competitive in only two games all season. Why would they be taking us lightly? I think much more likely they will be motivated to take out their frustration on us and even their record to position themselves for bowl eligibility.

Rather than providing a snarky reply, why don't you answer my questions? IMO, you made a ridiculous comment and I called you on it. No question LaTech has fallen from the Top 50 - 75 team they had been the previous 2 - 3 years, but they're still significantly better than we are and, unlike us, they've been competitive in their losses against quality teams.

My predictions are never correct. You should be thanking me.
But seriously, I've never met anyone so opposed to RIce football optimism before. I hope for wins every week, and I see a path to a win almost every week. I think it can happen this weekend. Louisiana Tech is down. They just lost at home. Who really knows their psyche right now? They're used to destroying Rice, so it's plausible they feel they'll do it again just by showing up and going through the motions. On the other side, we're still playing hard and we're at home. We want to win, especially against these guys, and we're way overdue for some lucky breaks. If nothing else, the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Who can have a problem with that?
10-25-2017 11:48 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-25-2017 11:48 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(10-25-2017 11:04 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 11:06 PM)Ourland Wrote:  The team is playing hard and it's hungry. They want it. That's the biggest difference between Rice and Louisiana Tech right now. Hopefully we win.

My predictions are never correct. You should be thanking me.
But seriously, I've never met anyone so opposed to RIce football optimism before. I hope for wins every week, and I see a path to a win almost every week. I think it can happen this weekend. Louisiana Tech is down. They just lost at home. Who really knows their psyche right now? They're used to destroying Rice, so it's plausible they feel they'll do it again just by showing up and going through the motions. On the other side, we're still playing hard and we're at home. We want to win, especially against these guys, and we're way overdue for some lucky breaks. If nothing else, the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Who can have a problem with that?

Once again, you avoided answering my original questions in response to your previous post? You claim we're fighting and still playing hard, despite the fact that we're 1-6, with our only win coming against the 2nd worst ranked team in all of the FBS division, and having been blown out in all but two of our 7 games so far....yet LaTech is down and taking us lightly, despite their 3-4 record, and still very much bowl-eligible? Yes, LaTech lost it's last two games to UAB and USM-- both decent teams; one by a late blocked FG (which resulted in a 1-point loss) and the other at home in double overtime. Do you honestly think we'd be able to play that close with either UAB or USM? They also played competitive in two losses to SEC teams (USC, Miss St.). They're averaging better than 24 points per game. We're averaging 10 points per game, and have scored more than 14 points only once-- against the 2nd worst team in all of the FBS division. Take the UTEP game away, and we're averaging under 8 points per game, and that includes games against a number of teams with lousy defenses (e.g., Pitt, Army). La Tech scored 21 vs. Miss St. and 16 on the road at S.Carolina-- two teams with considerablly better defenses than Rice.

Yes, I'm down on the program and down on Bailiff, and for good reason...but I'm being realistic in my assessment. I don't expect LaTech to blow us out-- and certainly hope they don't, but they should certainly be favored by more than a TD. IMO, the current 11-point betting spread is pretty spot on. LaTech 27 - 16.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 01:11 PM by waltgreenberg.)
10-25-2017 12:54 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
" You claim we're fighting and still playing hard, despite the fact that we're 1-6,"

Walt, bad results do not necessarily indicate lack of effort.
10-25-2017 01:10 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-25-2017 01:10 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  " You claim we're fighting and still playing hard, despite the fact that we're 1-6,"

Walt, bad results do not necessarily indicate lack of effort.

Again, I was contrasting his comment about us with his comment about LaTech. IMO, it makes absolutely no sense.
10-25-2017 01:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.