Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

La Tech post-game progress report (HA-Munz)
Bookmark and Share
WoodyGuthrie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Miss
La Tech post-game progress report (HA-Munz)
Progress Report by HA's Munz

Quote:A--defense, Shaunfield, Robertson, Schrimsher. B--Howard

I can agree with that. That was certainly one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while (even if it was mistakes that helped keep it exciting). I thought going in these were two very similar teams and hoped USM get could the edge--couldn't have predicted it going down that way. For the third season in a row, the Golden Eagles played some of their best ball against La Tech.

There were definitely some huge mistakes so dumb they defied belief. But there were also redemptions (Howard, Parks, Moore). They showed a hell of a lot of grit. Defense continued to be solid, though La Tech was running well early. May have been different if their QB had played a half-decent game. The offense dominated TOP but too often couldn't punch it in. A few of those drIves died on dropped passes. They did a good job of overcoming the loss of Ito.

Hoping Ito is 100% next week and Bourgeois goes back to kicking them out of the end zone (TWO out of bounds was surprising).
10-23-2017 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: La Tech post-game progress report (HA-Munz)
(10-23-2017 07:59 PM)WoodyGuthrie Wrote:  Progress Report by HA's Munz

Quote:A--defense, Shaunfield, Robertson, Schrimsher. B--Howard

I can agree with that. That was certainly one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while (even if it was mistakes that helped keep it exciting). I thought going in these were two very similar teams and hoped USM get could the edge--couldn't have predicted it going down that way. For the third season in a row, the Golden Eagles played some of their best ball against La Tech.

There were definitely some huge mistakes so dumb they defied belief. But there were also redemptions (Howard, Parks, Moore). They showed a hell of a lot of grit. Defense continued to be solid, though La Tech was running well early. May have been different if their QB had played a half-decent game. The offense dominated TOP but too often couldn't punch it in. A few of those drIves died on dropped passes. They did a good job of overcoming the loss of Ito.

Hoping Ito is 100% next week and Bourgeois goes back to kicking them out of the end zone (TWO out of bounds was surprising).

Howard - C....only b/c he didn't fumble...

Bourg' needs to stop thinking about it and just let leg fly through the ball.....at least he's getting it there most of the time.....

beats the crap out of when they catch it at the 15 and return it to our 40.....

IMO, it is the most overlooked weapon in football.....which is flat out retarded when one thinks field position and there are soccer club wannabes scattered all over the world.....

they're everywhere......coaches are unbelievably stupid not recognizing something so simple....
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 09:15 PM by stinkfist.)
10-23-2017 09:13 PM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

Stink you always talk about these soccer players that need to be kicking off. But what makes you think they can all kick it out of the end zone. I was coaching at a high school about 5 years ago where we couldn't find a kicker. The players told us about these 2 Mexican kids that were really good soccer players that may be able to kick for us. We let both of them come tryout. Neither one could kick the ball over 20 yards. It's a whole different skill. We ended up keeping them both on the team. One stayed 2 years and the other was on the team 3 years. Neither one of them ever got very good at it and only kicked in blowouts. Don't think I ever saw either one kick it past the 20 yard line. And high school kicks off from the 40.
10-24-2017 01:23 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

Sometimes it works out, though. I was once at a HS whose football team took on one of the school’s best soccer players as its kicker. That kid had a freaking cannon of a leg. Put it in the end zone EVERY time, and most every time, the HC would respond to the touchback by muttering, “What a weapon.” Controlling field position to that extent is a big deal.

That team’s favorite on-sides kick method was for that kicker to just pick out a guy on the front line of the receiving team and kick the ball as hard as he could right into that guy’s chest. Dude had no prayer of fielding it. The ball would bounce off his shoulder pads & travel about 5 yards back the other way, making the race to the ball pretty easy to win.
10-24-2017 09:51 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(10-24-2017 01:23 PM)Eagle9 Wrote:  Stink you always talk about these soccer players that need to be kicking off. But what makes you think they can all kick it out of the end zone. I was coaching at a high school about 5 years ago where we couldn't find a kicker. The players told us about these 2 Mexican kids that were really good soccer players that may be able to kick for us. We let both of them come tryout. Neither one could kick the ball over 20 yards. It's a whole different skill. We ended up keeping them both on the team. One stayed 2 years and the other was on the team 3 years. Neither one of them ever got very good at it and only kicked in blowouts. Don't think I ever saw either one kick it past the 20 yard line. And high school kicks off from the 40.

I don't think "they all can".... I know they all cannot.... not sure where you got that based on what I written in the past....

however, I'm certain if we offered open tryouts, we could find one that could take it to the EZ most of the time......

with the offer of a scholarship as the reward, they would find us instead of us having to find them....
10-25-2017 08:16 AM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

As recently as about 5 years ago, they had open walk on tryouts every year. Haven't heard of us having them lately. But I know Bower and Fedora both had them. Don't think we ever got a kicker out of one of those. The fact is there just aren't that many people in the world that can kick the ball in the end zone consistently. And not all of those are interested in playing football.
10-25-2017 08:59 AM
stinkfist Online

(10-25-2017 08:59 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  As recently as about 5 years ago, they had open walk on tryouts every year. Haven't heard of us having them lately. But I know Bower and Fedora both had them. Don't think we ever got a kicker out of one of those. The fact is there just aren't that many people in the world that can kick the ball in the end zone consistently. And not all of those are interested in playing football.

was a scholarship offer as the reward?

don't think so....
10-25-2017 09:32 AM
jebaroo Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-25-2017 08:59 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  As recently as about 5 years ago, they had open walk on tryouts every year. Haven't heard of us having them lately. But I know Bower and Fedora both had them. Don't think we ever got a kicker out of one of those. The fact is there just aren't that many people in the world that can kick the ball in the end zone consistently. And not all of those are interested in playing football.

From the sports writer with the Vicksburg post, "cyclone" kick.
I remember someone sending me this. Pretty funny.

http://www.vicksburgpost.com/2008/01/17/...the-cards/
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 03:46 PM by jebaroo.)
10-25-2017 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.