Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ideal Season for the Conference?
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Ideal Season for the Conference?
What would your ideal end of season be for the conference to have the best positive momentum moving into next season?

Mine would be, USF and UCF winning out to the last game, where USF defeats UCF in a close game taking the East.

Memphis winning out to win the West

That would conceivably give us a situation with USF at 11-0 likely in the Top 7-10, UCF and Memphis at 10-1 with rankings in the top 15-20.

These three teams going into conference Championship Week and Memphis beats USF. That way we can control a little piece of the Media discussion with Memphis likely earning the Auto-bid even with a loss to another 10-1 team in UCF who has every right to ask for the same. Also, having three teams with double digit wins and only one loss and likely ranked in the Top 20 would easily give us more leverage in any P6 arguments.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 09:17 AM by BearcatMan.)
10-20-2017 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Ideal Season for the Conference?
As a Memphis fan, works for me lol.
10-20-2017 08:04 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF and UCF undefeated until UCF wins that game. Memphis runs table in west and loses to UCF 2nd time in champ game.
Have Ala undefeated and everyone else with one or 2 losses, having to explain how Ucf with 3 top 25 victories shouldn't be one of the 4 playoff schools.
10-20-2017 08:09 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Undefeated UCF playing a one loss Memphis in the conference championship is the best case scenario given that UCF schedule is better than USF's schedule. Not sure if UCF can get there as they still travel to Navy and SMU, while hosting USF. By the way I think UCF is the best team in the league but they have more obstacles to than USF.

I think you couple that with a strong basketball season from Cincinnati, Wichita State, and at least two more tournament teams and there will be no doubt about how the American is a class above the other G5 conferences and more like the Power 5 + Big East.
10-20-2017 08:13 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Add in another UCONN WBB Championship and multiple College World Series contenders.
10-20-2017 08:26 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-20-2017 08:13 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Undefeated UCF playing a one loss Memphis in the conference championship is the best case scenario given that UCF schedule is better than USF's schedule. Not sure if UCF can get there as they still travel to Navy and SMU, while hosting USF. By the way I think UCF is the best team in the league but they have more obstacles to than USF.

I think you couple that with a strong basketball season from Cincinnati, Wichita State, and at least two more tournament teams and there will be no doubt about how the American is a class above the other G5 conferences and more like the Power 5 + Big East.

We need at least 2 schools in the Sweet 16 and at least 1 in the Elite 8.
10-20-2017 08:29 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(10-20-2017 08:09 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  USF and UCF undefeated until UCF wins that game. Memphis runs table in west and loses to UCF 2nd time in champ game.
Have Ala undefeated and everyone else with one or 2 losses, having to explain how Ucf with 3 top 25 victories shouldn't be one of the 4 playoff schools.

That's a very good point...I hadn't thought of the potential playoff ramifications. I simply looked at it from the media discussion side of things with a team who defeated the other having a claim to a NYB game, didn't think of the potential for a Playoff game, which UCF may have a claim to if they run the table in emphatic fashion given the teams they've played. It's a shame Khaseem Hill got hurt, I feel like that Maryland win would've looked MUCH better if he was healthy for the season.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 08:32 AM by BearcatMan.)
10-20-2017 08:30 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(10-20-2017 08:30 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-20-2017 08:09 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  USF and UCF undefeated until UCF wins that game. Memphis runs table in west and loses to UCF 2nd time in champ game.

That's a very good point...I hadn't thought of the potential playoff ramifications. I simply looked at it from the media discussion side of things with a team who defeated the other having a claim to a NYB game, didn't think of the potential for a Playoff game, which UCF may have a claim to if they run the table in emphatic fashion given the teams they've played. It's a shame Khaseem Hill got hurt, I feel like that Maryland win would've looked MUCH better if he was healthy for the season.

Yeah I think the best case for the league is to have USF/UCF and Memphis continue winning and have an 11-1 Memphis face the winner of the UCF/USF game for the title. I think UCF given the stronger strength of schedule would be the best best but I think all 3 would have good shots at the NY6 game. I mean if Memphis won and they just beat an undefeated UCF/USF that is a strong win and there would be an 11-1 team and and two 12-1 teams in the league. Pretty impressive 3some.

I say getting 5 into the tourney would so wonders. Rothstein had a good artcle about the 20 game schedule and the power 7 in basketball and whether or not the other leagues are all 1 bid now. He also did a think on tranfers and the American had 5 or 6 guys mentioned out of the 10 I think if I recall it correctly. I honestly think this is the best year for the b-ball league and football is already clicking and getting better. Good times in the American which is turning into something really cool. Hopefully the media dollars show up which can vault it even further.
10-20-2017 08:47 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(10-20-2017 08:47 AM)PT_american Wrote:  

Yeah I think the best case for the league is to have USF/UCF and Memphis continue winning and have an 11-1 Memphis face the winner of the UCF/USF game for the title. I think UCF given the stronger strength of schedule would be the best best but I think all 3 would have good shots at the NY6 game. I mean if Memphis won and they just beat an undefeated UCF/USF that is a strong win and there would be an 11-1 team and and two 12-1 teams in the league. Pretty impressive 3some.

I say getting 5 into the tourney would so wonders. Rothstein had a good artcle about the 20 game schedule and the power 7 in basketball and whether or not the other leagues are all 1 bid now. He also did a think on tranfers and the American had 5 or 6 guys mentioned out of the 10 I think if I recall it correctly. I honestly think this is the best year for the b-ball league and football is already clicking and getting better. Good times in the American which is turning into something really cool. Hopefully the media dollars show up which can vault it even further.

I think that's well within the realm of possibility. At the moment, I feel that Cincinnati and Wichita State are locks, UCF is very close but depends on Tacko Fall and BJ Taylor staying healthy, and SMU feels the same way with Milton, then I think one of Houston, UConn, and Temple could easily slip in too.
10-20-2017 08:54 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

It would be fun listening to the pundits torture logic to obtain the outcome they want (i.e., protect the P-5).
10-20-2017 08:59 AM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
It is literally impossible for UCF to go 12-0 in the regular season.

It is literally impossible for USF to go 12-0 in the regular season.

It is literally impossible for Memphis to go 11-1 in the regular season.
10-20-2017 09:09 AM
Advertisement

msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

I hate to say it, but you are right. But I am still pulling for Memphis to run the table.
10-20-2017 09:10 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(10-20-2017 09:09 AM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  It is literally impossible for UCF to go 12-0 in the regular season.

Good call, **** hurricanes.
10-20-2017 09:17 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-20-2017 08:02 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  What would your ideal end of season be for the conference to have the best positive momentum moving into next season?

Mine would be, USF and UCF winning out to the last game, where USF defeats UCF in a close game taking the East.

Memphis winning out to win the West

That would conceivably give us a situation with USF at 11-0 likely in the Top 7-10, UCF and Memphis at 10-1 with rankings in the top 15-20.

These three teams going into conference Championship Week and Memphis beats USF. That way we can control a little piece of the Media discussion with Memphis likely earning the Auto-bid even with a loss to another 10-1 team in UCF who has every right to ask for the same. Also, having three teams with double digit wins and only one loss and likely ranked in the Top 20 would easily give us more leverage in any P6 arguments.

I like that scenario a lot. 03-lmfao

And if we can't win it all, I do like the idea of UCF crashing the CFP. That would be awesome.

Especially 2 years after going 0-fer.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 09:26 AM by TripleA.)
10-20-2017 09:22 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(10-20-2017 09:17 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-20-2017 09:09 AM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  It is literally impossible for UCF to go 12-0 in the regular season.

Good call, **** hurricanes.

Details details. Sorry I completely forgot that but you are right. The rest of my statement stands though
10-20-2017 10:26 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
1. Navy tops UCF in a close game tomorrow, and then wins out (which would include a win over Notre Dame) to finish 11-1.
2. Memphis also wins out, finishing 10-1 with a berth in the American title game.
3. After falling to Navy, UCF wins out, finishing 10-1 with a big win over USF in the war on I-4 to make the American title game.
4. USF wins until the UCF game which they lose, finishing 10-1.

That would give us 4 ranked teams and a championship game between two 10-1 teams.
10-20-2017 11:11 AM
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

Access bowl is the highest ranked conf champ so if Memphis won the conference champ game ucf wouldn't have any chance at access bowl.
10-20-2017 11:26 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(10-20-2017 11:26 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  

Access bowl is the highest ranked conf champ so if Memphis won the conference champ game ucf wouldn't have any chance at access bowl.

I'm saying it would provide an argument, since there could be a chance UCF would be ranked higher with a similar record AND UCF pounded Memphis earlier this year.
10-20-2017 11:37 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(10-20-2017 11:37 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-20-2017 11:26 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  

I'm saying it would provide an argument, since there could be a chance UCF would be ranked higher with a similar record AND UCF pounded Memphis earlier this year.

We need the highest ranked (and undefeated) between USF and UCF to play a one loss Navy team in the CCG. Why Navy? It has the best chance in the west to play with a respectable ranking. Navy needs ND to win all its remaining games except for one—which will be played on November 18th.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 11:59 AM by Underdog.)
10-20-2017 11:56 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(10-20-2017 11:11 AM)Chappy Wrote:  1. Navy tops UCF in a close game tomorrow, and then wins out (which would include a win over Notre Dame) to finish 11-1.
2. Memphis also wins out, finishing 10-1 with a berth in the American title game.
3. After falling to Navy, UCF wins out, finishing 10-1 with a big win over USF in the war on I-4 to make the American title game.
4. USF wins until the UCF game which they lose, finishing 10-1.

That would give us 4 ranked teams and a championship game between two 10-1 teams.

Winner.

Give the man his chiggen.
10-20-2017 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.