Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I HATE NEBRASKA!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share
prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

Quote:Nebraska pulls out of 2005 opener with Cougars
'This is the most unprofessional thing I've dealt with in my 30 years in this business' -- Maggard
By MICHAEL MURPHY
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
Houston athletic director Dave Maggard thought he had found the perfect way to kick off the 2005 football season when he arranged a nationally televised game between the Cougars and Nebraska.

That's what he thought, anyway. ADVERTISEMENT

Today, Maggard, the Cougars and ESPN are scrambling to find a another opponent for UH after the Cornhuskers backed out at the last minute, instead scheduling Division I-AA Maine for their season opener.

Maggard learned about the sudden change two days ago on a phone call from Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson. And to say Maggard wasn't happy about the turn of events would be a colossal understatement.

"This is the most unprofessional thing I've dealt with in my 30 years in this business," Maggard said. "I'm very, very surprised by all this. This is something that doesn't belong in Division I athletics.

"I'm very, very angry about this."

Sources close to the Nebraska program said the team's staff, after last season's 5-6 finish and the defections of several players, did not want to take the chance of getting spanked by the Cougars on national TV. So they instead will open the season at home against the Black Bears on Sept. 3.

The Cougars? It's late, but they're scrambling to fill the hole in the schedule.

"This is absolutely unprofessional in every way," Maggard said. "It's gutless. Spineless. They're going to have to live with it. I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for that program. I think that for college athletics, it's shameful.

"We're going to figure out a solution, but they (the Huskers) are developing a reputation for hanging people out to dry. I think it's a sad commentary on the people running that athletic program."

michael.murphy@chron.com
12-17-2004 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

Punk Beeoch ... If I could summon all of my Ricky James/ Homey the Clown pimp slap powers .... i'd go up side the head of the Nebraska AD.
12-17-2004 10:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

prettyricky Wrote:"This is the most unprofessional thing I've dealt with in my 30 years in this business," Maggard said. "I'm very, very surprised by all this. This is something that doesn't belong in Division I athletics.
Wow... for someone who has had to deal with TCU in recent years, that's saying something...
12-17-2004 10:27 PM
Quote this message in a reply
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

OwlJacket Wrote:
prettyricky Wrote:"This is the most unprofessional thing I've dealt with in my 30 years in this business," Maggard said. "I'm very, very surprised by all this. This is something that doesn't belong in Division I athletics.
Wow... for someone who has had to deal with TCU in recent years, that's saying something...
Dammit, I was thinking the same thing, but OwlJacket had my computer first so he stole the joke. :laugh:

Shuck Nebraska.
12-17-2004 10:47 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Gutless, classless, and cowardly. Oh well, thats Nebraska football! I hate those sumbitches.
12-18-2004 12:38 PM
KTulsafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Isn't Steve Pederson the same Nebraska AD that upgraded his coaching staff by dumping Frank Solich to get that west coast wizzard who didn't realize it is illegal to pass in Nebraska? Apparently, he also thought he was upgrading his schedule to dump Houston and go with that juggernaught from Maine! Hope his move costs them dearly in recruiting the Texas area. Good luck on getting a decent replacement.
12-19-2004 12:56 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

No need to hate them anymore. We have replaced those buck toothed curn humpers with the Oregon Ducks and we still get to keep our opening spot on ESPN. The fact that this game is at Reliant isn't bad because that means we should get to beat Rice at home this year.

Eat'em up Coogs!!!
01-25-2005 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.