Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rivalry in Dixie
Bookmark and Share
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
Rivalry in Dixie
For the past several years now USM, beat writers, and the conference have seemingly really tried to push this on the fan base. I suppose that if you want to pick a current CUSA member that we should be rivals with, then Tech is really the only option. However, I ain't buying it. I don't consider them to be a rival and I don't think that I ever will. 15-20 years ago we would NEVER have thought of them as an equal program or rival. To me it seems like an acceptance of the program's backsliding and I ain't down with that!

Thoughts and discussion?
10-18-2017 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Rivalry in Dixie
(10-18-2017 09:11 AM)EagleFWB Wrote:  For the past several years now USM, beat writers, and the conference have seemingly really tried to push this on the fan base. I suppose that if you want to pick a current CUSA member that we should be rivals with, then Tech is really the only option. However, I ain't buying it. I don't consider them to be a rival and I don't think that I ever will. 15-20 years ago we would NEVER have thought of them as an equal program or rival. To me it seems like an acceptance of the program's backsliding and I ain't down with that!

Thoughts and discussion?

I guess it's because we've played UAB more in the last 15 years or so that TO ME they are about the only rivalry we currently have right now. It's nothing personal against La Tech but i just don't have that perception about them. I know it's going to be a challenge and tough game but the rivalry feeling just isn't there for me.
10-18-2017 09:21 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

For a large portion of our fanbase, the first time they saw us play Tech was in 2010. That does not make a rivalry, no matter how much 'history' we have with them.
10-18-2017 09:49 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

The history is there. That part's not up for debate. We've been in the same conference on and off since the 1930s and played each other every year from the mid '40s to early '70s. It was during that run that one of Tech's coaches originated the "Rivalry in Dixie" name.

The series went cold for a while, and it's a bigger deal to them than it is to us, but our side of things will heat up if and when they beat us a few times.

Again here, people complain that we don't have rivals and the conference is too spread out with too many schools with no history, but give them a division game with a school with a history paralleling ours in a neighboring state whom we've played 44 times, and all they can say is, "I don't get it."
10-18-2017 10:15 AM
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2017 10:15 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  The history is there. That part's not up for debate. We've been in the same conference on and off since the 1930s and played each other every year from the mid '40s to early '70s. It was during that run that one of Tech's coaches originated the "Rivalry in Dixie" name.

The series went cold for a while, and it's a bigger deal to them than it is to us, but our side of things will heat up if and when they beat us a few times.

Again here, people complain that we don't have rivals and the conference is too spread out with too many schools with no history, but give them a division game with a school with a history paralleling ours in a neighboring state whom we've played 44 times, and all they can say is, "I don't get it."

Maybe they would get it if they could think about it while drinking a beer bought in the stadium, watching acceptable content on the video board, and listening to the hottest and most popular tunes for sports events on speakers installed and calibrated by Dr. Bose himself. While we play Ole Miss.
10-18-2017 10:24 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-18-2017 09:11 AM)EagleFWB Wrote:  For the past several years now USM, beat writers, and the conference have seemingly really tried to push this on the fan base. I suppose that if you want to pick a current CUSA member that we should be rivals with, then Tech is really the only option. However, I ain't buying it. I don't consider them to be a rival and I don't think that I ever will. 15-20 years ago we would NEVER have thought of them as an equal program or rival. To me it seems like an acceptance of the program's backsliding and I ain't down with that!

Thoughts and discussion?

This is promoted mostly by the La Tech crowd. Most younger USM fans, especially students, had heard little or nothing about La Tech until they were admitted to cusa. Only thing you saw in the Miss news media as probably just the score of their games. Fact is they get little if any coverage now in Louisiana, especially South and South central where most of the population lies. They are just mixed in with the humpteen other 4yr schools in the state. If the state of Louisiana decided, and they might do so due to financial straits, to deny the annual transfer of up to $10mil from general fund to athletics then they couldnt make it at their current level.
10-18-2017 11:11 AM
jebaroo Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-18-2017 10:15 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  The history is there. That part's not up for debate. We've been in the same conference on and off since the 1930s and played each other every year from the mid '40s to early '70s. It was during that run that one of Tech's coaches originated the "Rivalry in Dixie" name.

same with memphis and tulane.... how many times have we played them?
10-18-2017 01:54 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

lol at this perceived superiority to La Tech
10-18-2017 03:57 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(10-18-2017 03:57 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  lol at this perceived superiority to La Tech.

Many still don't believe SUNWACUSA is here and even worse than projected.
10-18-2017 04:17 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(10-18-2017 04:17 PM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  
(10-18-2017 03:57 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  lol at this perceived superiority to La Tech.

SUNWACUSA is here it's even worse than projected.

That is quite the feat because we all knew it would be bad.
10-19-2017 07:56 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(10-18-2017 01:54 PM)jebaroo Wrote:  same with memphis and tulane.... how many times have we played them?

We’d played Memphis 46 times & Tulane 17 times prior to us all joining CUSA.

The 44 games vs. Tech is how many we’d played before they came in.
10-19-2017 09:44 AM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
If the players buy into it, then I guess that's all that really matters. I just don't. Their program was not on our level and like I said in OP, 15-20 years ago this isn't even a topic. Unfortunately, our program is a fraction of it's former self for reasons we've all discussed a million times. I never considered Tulane a rival either for what it's worth. I promise you that Bama doesn't consider us one even though we've played them over 40 times.

Unfortunately, the teams that I have felt were good rivalries have all moved on and left us behind.
10-19-2017 09:59 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(10-18-2017 03:57 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  lol at this perceived superiority to La Tech

Well, we’ve won over 2/3s of the games, and they’re 0-2 as a division opponent. Who knows if or how long it’ll last, but to this point, “Scoreboard.”

If history is any indication, they’ll finally beat us a couple times and then jump conferences and never play us again.
10-19-2017 10:13 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(10-19-2017 09:59 AM)EagleFWB Wrote:  Their program was not on our level and like I said in OP, 15-20 years ago this isn't even a topic.

This is our 3rd time being in the same conference plus a shared period of being I-A Independents. They have a .570 all-time winning percentage compared to our .582. Like us, they have 2 College Division National Championships prior to moving up. We both produced arguably the best NFL QBs of their generation, but they actually have one more NFL Hall of Famer than we do. We do have more time in the polls over the years, but they have been there, and we’re not exactly regulars. They’ve also been known to pop up and punch a “big boy” in the mouth on occasion just like us.

Aside from Tech staying in I-AA for about 10 years after the I-A/I-AA split happened, our programs have followed remarkably similar trajectories when you look at it. If we’re not sister programs, we’re certainly first cousins.

While it is true we weren’t playing each other 20 years ago, 25 years ago, we did and split a home-and-home.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017 08:42 PM by HarborPointe.)
10-19-2017 11:09 AM
TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
Did not realize the similarities of our programs. Thanks for sharing.
10-19-2017 11:18 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(10-19-2017 10:13 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(10-18-2017 03:57 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  lol at this perceived superiority to La Tech

If history is any indication, they’ll finally beat us a couple times and then jump conferences and never play us again.

lol. sad but true
10-19-2017 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.