Events
10-16-2017 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Preseason Event Schedule
Excited to see the new look Bucs tomorrow! Hopefully we get to watch some scrimmage work.
10-18-2017 06:54 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Pumped!
10-18-2017 07:25 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Really, really hate to miss this one - but I've got commitments. Looking forward to full reports on everyone and everything!
10-18-2017 08:03 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I cannot wait to see our players tomorrow!
10-18-2017 08:27 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

So much to look for:

How are Desonta and Burrell handling leadership roles??

Are Burrell, Devontavius, and Jermaine showing signs of the celebrated "2nd year JUCO" bump?

Do Jermaine and Jason show signs of improved scoring?

How does Jalan McCloud fit? Is he going to be the guy who can both create shots and create opportunities for others??

What about Kanayo Obi-Rapu? Is he the 12 point plus scorer that he was at Longwood?

Boy, do I want to see Bo Hodges - how does he look? A solid 6-4? What skills does he have? Is he really A.J. athletic? How is his ballhandling? Shooting? Rebounding?

Does Rodriguez seem healthy? Is he still holding back (not necessarily a bad thing right now)? What does he look like? Size? Athleticism? Is he showing signs of the manimal who was POY in the Panhandle last year?

James Harrison looks like a big 6-8 in the little video clips. How does he look in real life. Does he attack the boards and defend? How is his energy? How is his scoring?

Is Armus a real 6-10? How is his athleticism and strength? Can he score? Defend? Rebound? Are the fundamentals that he showed in his workout video things that he can make work against live defense?

What do 6-6 Andre Edwards and 6-6 Kendrick Gray show us? Are they competitive and part of the mix?

Does Peter Jurkin show signs of improved strength? Defense? Rebounding? His scoring looks good on video - in real life? Is his enthusiasm back after a rough last season?

So much I'd like to see. I'll have to rely on those of you who can make it.

Oh, and does Patrick Good get to practice? How does he stack up? And how does Karl Overstreet look these days?
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 09:11 PM by swvabucsfan.)
10-18-2017 08:56 PM
Advertisement

JW2265 Offline
Water Engineer

I am looking forward to tonight's Open Practice event ! Also going to be at the game against Northern Kentucky on 11/10/17 !
10-19-2017 07:26 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2017 08:56 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  So much to look for:

How are Desonta and Burrell handling leadership roles??

Are Burrell, Devontavius, and Jermaine showing signs of the celebrated "2nd year JUCO" bump?

Do Jermaine and Jason show signs of improved scoring?

How does Jalan McCloud fit? Is he going to be the guy who can both create shots and create opportunities for others??

What about Kanayo Obi-Rapu? Is he the 12 point plus scorer that he was at Longwood?

Boy, do I want to see Bo Hodges - how does he look? A solid 6-4? What skills does he have? Is he really A.J. athletic? How is his ballhandling? Shooting? Rebounding?

Does Rodriguez seem healthy? Is he still holding back (not necessarily a bad thing right now)? What does he look like? Size? Athleticism? Is he showing signs of the manimal who was POY in the Panhandle last year?

James Harrison looks like a big 6-8 in the little video clips. How does he look in real life. Does he attack the boards and defend? How is his energy? How is his scoring?

Is Armus a real 6-10? How is his athleticism and strength? Can he score? Defend? Rebound? Are the fundamentals that he showed in his workout video things that he can make work against live defense?

What do 6-6 Andre Edwards and 6-6 Kendrick Gray show us? Are they competitive and part of the mix?

Does Peter Jurkin show signs of improved strength? Defense? Rebounding? His scoring looks good on video - in real life? Is his enthusiasm back after a rough last season?

So much I'd like to see. I'll have to rely on those of you who can make it.

Oh, and does Patrick Good get to practice? How does he stack up? And how does Karl Overstreet look these days?

Excellent questions.

I'm pretty certain Good can be part of this.

Remember last year after Bluenanza how I wrote glowingly about my perception of the seemingly fantastic team chemistry? I'd never quite seen so much good vibe on a team with so many new pieces. (And I think that played out as positively as my instincts indicated.) Well, this year we've got even more (new pieces), and I think a very key thing to look for is that. Might be harder to discern that in this format, vs. Bluenanza - or maybe not.

Burrell simply *can't* (I don't think) be more impressive than he was at Bluenanza last year.

I think we've got the guards. Maybe not *the* guard a la a Pigram or a Guyn, or even a Cromer (or maybe we *do* have that), but I think Forbes figures out a pretty good combination of skills and temperament to get the job done. I certainly hope Long has 'calmed down' some on his, shall we say, overly-aggressive offensive "ideas", but has still retained his awesome abilities to execute such things from time-to-time - along with bumping up his outside shooting percentage. I'm gonna go with not expecting a 'gigantic' improvement, but point out that his upside potential could be very surprising.
McCloud and Hodges are maybe the biggest question marks in terms of how big an impact they could be in the guard arena. Yes, it's possible that McCloud could be that "the" guard. Possible. Hodges, no, not yet. (But wouldn't mind being shocked to learn that I could be wrong there.) But I think his athleticism isn't overly-hyped, either.

In last year's Bluenanza, remember, Obi-Rapu didn't get his hands on the ball much, and we really couldn't tell a lot. But he's (or at least was) a keen player who could be an upside surprise.

I think the bigger question(s) will be inside, even if Rodriguez turns out to be able to play at nearly regular levels. And I'm not saying we'll be in bad shape - necessarily - but can the new guys replace HMP and Glass competently? Tall order indeed. I'm going with "no", but that doesn't necessarily spell big trouble. I trust Forbes will mix-and-match well enough to put together a capable front line, if not spectacular. But be prepared - there *will* be weaknesses that show up down there.

I'll also reiterate what I said some time ago - that there will be one particular player who I think will disappoint (on a season-long basis). And no, I'm not naming said player - and may not even if my suspicions play out. Or I may, depending on if/how that happens. Would love to be wrong on that, too.
10-19-2017 09:47 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Addenda:

Overstreet has filled out some; he looks good, physically. Haven't been able to see him play. Key with him will be to watch his footwork and hands.
Both Rodriguez and Harrison are what're known as proverbial "full-grown men". They've both got to be at least 220, and not much appears wasted. How that translates to basketball prowess I don't know, but they won't be getting pushed around very often.
10-19-2017 11:16 AM
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

David Burrell dunks it so effortlessly
10-19-2017 05:54 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
This is a real a scrimmage, not that lazy, soft crap. I love it! The team looks very athletic and competitive.
10-19-2017 06:27 PM
Advertisement

shampoo Offline
All American

Bo Hodges is gonna be a beast. Can’t wait to watch him develop.
10-19-2017 06:35 PM
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

I’ve been really impressed with McCloud. He’s a true point guard.
10-19-2017 06:40 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

How is it that Steve Forbes can field two full-sized teams at once when Bartow couldn’t field one?!
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 06:58 PM by shampoo.)
10-19-2017 06:58 PM
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

Does anybody know the status of Kendrick Gray?
10-19-2017 08:08 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Did J-Rod participate?
10-19-2017 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

Gray is no longer on the website's roster, even though he once was. I doubt he is still on the team.
10-19-2017 08:27 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Somebody take at shot at giving a full breakdown - Faithful? Poster? Shampoo? Or say what you can.

What about team chemistry and effort - I like what Shampoo says about "a real scrimmage, not that lazy, soft crap". But expand on that a bit.

Tell us what impressed you, or disappointed.

Those of us who couldn't make it would love to hear.

DID J-Rod participate? Was Kendrick Gray absent?

Enquiring minds want to know!
10-19-2017 08:30 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
ETSU needs to live stream/periscope these kind of events.
10-19-2017 08:33 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

Preseason Event Schedule
I noticed Gray was no longer listed on the roster a few days ago, I was hoping it was just an error. Anybody got inside info on him?
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 08:37 PM by Bucster.)
10-19-2017 08:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.