Trump to cut off key ObamaCare payments
10-12-2017 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: Trump to cut off key ObamaCare payments
Quote:"The United States House of Representatives sued the previous administration in Federal court for making these payments without such an appropriation, and the court agreed that the payments were not lawful," she continued.

"The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system. Congress needs to repeal and replace the disastrous Obamacare law and provide real relief to the American people."

So the Trump admin is halting illegal actions put in place by the Obama administration?

So what's the problem?
10-12-2017 10:05 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-12-2017 10:05 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
Quote:"The United States House of Representatives sued the previous administration in Federal court for making these payments without such an appropriation, and the court agreed that the payments were not lawful," she continued.

"The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system. Congress needs to repeal and replace the disastrous Obamacare law and provide real relief to the American people."

So the Trump admin is halting illegal actions put in place by the Obama administration?

So what's the problem?

Without these payments to the insurance companies? The companies could go bankrupt and go out of business. With that happening, than the whole health care industry will go in very chaotic mess were everybody have no health care at all. That is why Republicans let the payments go because they want to keep the insurance companies stabled. Cutting that off? It could be disastrous for everybody. Trump is not a good leader if he does not realized that what he is doing is actually harming the whole health care system without any replacement. The replacement he signed today was tried before and failed.
10-12-2017 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

So what's the problem?

The ACA mandates that the payments are made. Congress sued because they didn't appropriate the payments (and won). It's currently under appeal but the judge required the payments to be made during the appeal. The White House hasn't dropped the appeal. This one is going to sting for a lot of Trumpians.
10-12-2017 10:14 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(10-12-2017 10:10 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

So what's the problem?

Without these payments to the insurance companies? The companies could go bankrupt and go out of business. With that happening, than the whole health care industry will go in very chaotic mess were everybody have no health care at all. That is why Republicans let the payments go because they want to keep the insurance companies stabled. Cutting that off? It could be disastrous for everybody. Trump is not a good leader if he does not realized that what he is doing is actually harming the whole health care system without any replacement. The replacement he signed today was tried before and failed.

CSR reduces the amounts the beneficiary pays for deductibles and co-insurance. Take it away, and deductibles and co-insurance will just go back to the same levels of those that never qualified for the illegal payments.

Net impact on insurance companies = Zero.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 10:29 PM by Kronke.)
10-12-2017 10:16 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

So what's the problem?

Talk about a fast track to a single payer system. Trump is not good with long term strategy (or maybe he is?).
10-12-2017 10:16 PM
Advertisement

hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison

So what's the problem?

The problem with politics is that they often throw money at a broken system and then just delay the inevitable. Why is it so popular to bail out companies that are known to have bad business practices? The insurance industry is full of greedy money grabbers and Obama and others just propped them up. The whole system is flawed and needs to be completely overhauled. How? No idea.
10-12-2017 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2017 10:58 PM)hburg Wrote:  

So what's the problem?

The problem with politics is that they often throw money at a broken system and then just delay the inevitable. Why is it so popular to bail out companies that are known to have bad business practices? The insurance industry is full of greedy money grabbers and Obama and others just propped them up. The whole system is flawed and needs to be completely overhauled. How? No idea.

Oh, I agree. I'm wondering how this effects people in the short term. Obamacare was a bridge to a single payer (a terrible one at that). Trump just accelerated the single payer but he may already know that because he wants his name on it.
10-12-2017 11:06 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
When it comes to the state of the current healthcare "industry" ... I'll gladly accept total meltdown over the status quo. Let everybody sitting there on a cushy mega corp healthcare plan get to enjoy the same total sh*t show I've had for the past 5+ years and see if they're still so ambivalent about healthcare then.
10-12-2017 11:10 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) said in August that about 1 million people would be uninsured in 2018 and insurance companies would raise premium prices by about 20 percent for ObamaCare plans if the payments were cut off.

The CBO also said halting the payments would increase the federal deficit by $194 billion through 2026.

In other words, people are losing their healthcare under Obamacare and the prices will skyrocket even higher.

This is the real Obamacare. Now, if we remove all of the grandfathered plans, as well as perks and subsidies for government employees, we can force everyone onto it. When that happens, support for Obamacare drops to 30%. The exact number of people who get this sh*t for free and get subsidies for sitting on their ass.
10-12-2017 11:33 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

The insurance companies already adjusted in anticipation for the subsidies to be cut off.
10-12-2017 11:41 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-12-2017 11:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  When it comes to the state of the current healthcare "industry" ... I'll gladly accept total meltdown over the status quo. Let everybody sitting there on a cushy mega corp healthcare plan get to enjoy the same total sh*t show I've had for the past 5+ years and see if they're still so ambivalent about healthcare then.

Exactly. I'm fine with this if for no other reason than the subsidized will now find out how much middle class Americans have been paying for this craptastic system. Frankly, until these payments were stopped, there was zero reason for the Democrats to negotiate. Now, he has something to bargain with.
10-13-2017 02:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-12-2017 11:41 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  The insurance companies already adjusted in anticipation for the subsidies to be cut off.

Nope. The subsidies never had anything to do with the rates. That's a red herring. The rates are based on the estimated cost of the payouts. The subsidies just helped some people pay thier insurance bill. What ran the rates up is more sick people and fewer healthy people buying insurance. That's what happens when you cover preexisting conditions with no mandate to buy insurance. Without the subsidy, you get to see Obamacare for the failed system it really is.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 03:02 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-13-2017 02:58 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(10-13-2017 02:58 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 11:41 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  The insurance companies already adjusted in anticipation for the subsidies to be cut off.

Nope. The subsidies never had anything to do with the rates. That's a red herring. The rates are based on the estimated cost of the payouts. The subsidies just helped some people pay thier insurance bill. What ran the rates up is more sick people and fewer healthy people buying insurance. That's what happens when you cover preexisting conditions with no mandate to buy insurance. Without the subsidy, you get to see Obamacare for the failed system it really is.

For the 2018 rates, they do. The insurance companies baked this into the cake months ago.
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/.../170519999
10-13-2017 04:38 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

Mike, you the real MVP.

10-13-2017 06:02 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-12-2017 10:58 PM)hburg Wrote:  

So what's the problem?

Because the insurance companies gave lots of money to the Democrats. Democrats believe in crony capitalism, also known as fascism.
10-13-2017 06:32 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If the House didn't appropriate the money it shouldn't be spent. That's civics 101

This will sting for a lot of people using the subsidies no doubt. But with no one in Congress willing to pass anything to make changes to the system, transitioning off obamacare will be a more painful process than it has to be. This is part of it. Hopefully now the legislature will act like adults and work towards removing the most divisive law of the modern era
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 07:18 AM by solohawks.)
10-13-2017 07:17 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(10-13-2017 07:17 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If the House didn't appropriate the money it shouldn't be spent. That's civics 101

This will sting for a lot of people using the subsidies no doubt. But with no one in Congress willing to pass anything to make changes to the system, transitioning off obamacare will be a more painful process than it has to be. This is part of it. Hopefully now the legislature will act like adults and work towards removing the most divisive law of the modern era

The law requires them to appropriate it. This is the conundrum.
10-13-2017 07:21 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Can a law require Congress to pass another law? No wonder the court ruled against it.
10-13-2017 07:25 AM
Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
(10-12-2017 11:33 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) said in August that about 1 million people would be uninsured in 2018 and insurance companies would raise premium prices by about 20 percent for ObamaCare plans if the payments were cut off.

The CBO also said halting the payments would increase the federal deficit by $194 billion through 2026

In other words, people are losing their healthcare under Obamacare and the prices will skyrocket even higher.

This is the real Obamacare. Now, if we remove all of the grandfathered plans, as well as perks and subsidies for government employees, we can force everyone onto it. When that happens, support for Obamacare drops to 30%. The exact number of people who get this sh*t for free and get subsidies for sitting on their ass.

Welcome to Trumpcare.. This is all Trumps baby at this point. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Guess President Trump is a fan of EO afterall.
10-13-2017 07:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.