Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

HHS: When life begins
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
HHS: When life begins
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released a draft of its new strategic plan for 2018-2022 with the addition of the simple words.

Formerly the document stated:

Quote:HHS accomplishes its mission through programs and initiatives that cover a wide spectrum of activities, serving Americans at every stage of life.

Now, with three words added the document states:

Quote:HHS accomplishes its mission through programs and initiatives that cover a wide spectrum of activities, serving Americans at every stage of life, beginning at conception.

HHS to define human life as ‘beginning at conception’

20 Weeks
[Image: 20-weeks-human-fetus-681x1024.jpg]
10-12-2017 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Three Floyds

Donators
RE: HHS: When life begins
Liberals just collectively recoiled like vampires when the drapes are drawn back at dawn.
10-12-2017 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
It starts at conception. Only dishonest liars don't acknowledge this.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 02:18 PM by Paul M.)
10-12-2017 02:13 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USC Upstate

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(10-12-2017 02:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Only dishonest liars don't acknowledge this.

Okay, I'll bite.

Let's start on the same playing field, though, because I detest slippery definitions which are so common when discussing this.

First: What is a human life? When do you say it begins? When, precisely defined and with what criteria used, is it acceptable for a third party to end a human life?
10-12-2017 02:28 PM

Redwingtom Offline
God, save us.

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(10-12-2017 02:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  It starts at conception. Only dishonest liars don't acknowledge this.

Paul, you do realize that you cannot predict the exact date of conception don't you? It's only an estimate...and it can be off by as much as a month in some cases.

Quote:Conception Dates Are Only Estimates

Conception dates are only considered estimates for several reasons. First of all, even women with regular cycles may not ovulate on day 14 each month. It can vary slightly, anywhere from day 12 to day 16 for a regular woman on a 28-day cycle.

Other reasons conception dates are just estimated include the following:

-Sperm life can be up to three to five days.
-Stress or other life changes can change even regular women's cycles for that month.
-Eggs take 12 to 24 hours to be shed, so the estimated conception date may be off by one day.
-Spotting at implantation can be mistaken for a last missed period, throwing off conception date by as much as a month.

The only completely accurate way of knowing conception date is when infertility treatments, such as artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization treatments have been used.
http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Est...ption_Date

And lastly, which government office is going to be in charge of tracking all women's periods and ovulation dates.

Small government be damned again by conservatives. 03-lol
10-12-2017 03:23 PM
solohawks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNCW
(10-12-2017 03:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 02:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  It starts at conception. Only dishonest liars don't acknowledge this.

Paul, you do realize that you cannot predict the exact date of conception don't you? It's only an estimate...and it can be off by as much as a month in some cases.

Quote:Conception Dates Are Only Estimates

Conception dates are only considered estimates for several reasons. First of all, even women with regular cycles may not ovulate on day 14 each month. It can vary slightly, anywhere from day 12 to day 16 for a regular woman on a 28-day cycle.

Other reasons conception dates are just estimated include the following:

-Sperm life can be up to three to five days.
-Stress or other life changes can change even regular women's cycles for that month.
-Eggs take 12 to 24 hours to be shed, so the estimated conception date may be off by one day.
-Spotting at implantation can be mistaken for a last missed period, throwing off conception date by as much as a month.

The only completely accurate way of knowing conception date is when infertility treatments, such as artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization treatments have been used.
http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Est...ption_Date

And lastly, which government office is going to be in charge of tracking all women's periods and ovulation dates.

Small government be damned again by conservatives. 03-lol
simple solution, when in doubt, choose life
10-12-2017 03:25 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USC Upstate

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(10-12-2017 02:28 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 02:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Only dishonest liars don't acknowledge this.

Okay, I'll bite.

Let's start on the same playing field, though, because I detest slippery definitions which are so common when discussing this.

First: What is a human life? When do you say it begins? When, precisely defined and with what criteria used, is it acceptable for a third party to end a human life?

Anybody else who is pro-life from conception and thinks there is no possible alternative view feel free to step right and play along.
10-12-2017 03:32 PM

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(10-12-2017 03:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Conception dates are estimates, but you are estimating a past event. Therefore it doesn't matter if the exact day is off a little bit, there is a life present that began when it was conceived. Not knowing whether that was 24 or 34 days ago doesn't change the fact that it exists.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 03:55 PM by 200yrs2late.)
10-12-2017 03:50 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(10-12-2017 03:32 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Okay, I'll bite.

Anybody else who is pro-life from conception and thinks there is no possible alternative view feel free to step right and play along.

I'll play along.

A human life is a fertilized oocyte, what we call a zygote.
It begins at the moment on fertilization.
It is no more acceptable for a third party to end a human life in the womb than it is to murder a 3 year old child.
10-12-2017 04:01 PM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-12-2017 03:32 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Okay, I'll bite.

I'll step in for a friendly discussion as a pro-lifer at conception. Not sure what you mean by "thinks there is no possible alternative view".....as I'm smart enough to know I don't know everything.

My general views are as follows:
1. A new and unique human life begins at conception.
2. While I find abortion abhorrent, I have an issue with the government declaring it completely illegal (Pretty libertarian)
3. Terminating a pregnancy in my (and my wife's opinion) is only acceptable in certain physical, 'health of the mother' situations.

Here's to an open-minded and informative discussion!
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 04:11 PM by ummechengr.)
10-12-2017 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.