I Root For: UAB
No, Ray Hasn't Changed His Stripes
10-11-2017 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
RE: No, Ray Hasn't Changed His Stripes
Not sure what you expected him to say? No doubt he took a risk brining it back considering what his bosses wanted him to do....
10-11-2017 08:49 PM
biglizard Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-11-2017 08:35 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  http://wiat.com/2017/10/11/uab-president...-decision/

Oy vey......
10-11-2017 08:49 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Ray is very happy to let the "Fiscally responsible University President fights out of control football spending" narrative go out there. It's completely nauseating BS, but it looks better than "Lickspittle does Board of Trustee's dirty work".

He didn't take a risk. He was forced to bring it back, and the BoT was forced to shut up and let it happen. We had too much documentation and proof of what was really going on, and Ray had some of our biggest donors backing him into a corner of his office and telling him he'd never see another dime if he didn't change his tune.

It didn't hurt that his beloved "Campaign for UAB", the billion dollar fund raiser, was dead in the water, either.

Ray didn't know what he didn't know, and it bit him on the butt.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017 10:03 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
10-11-2017 10:01 PM

stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
This may not be a popular opinion. Please don't take this as an endorsement for Watts. If the program hadn't been shut down, I see no way we have the facilities we have now. Clark would of had a very successful 2015 & would've been scooped up by a bigger program. In a year or so we'd have been right back where we started. The shutdown changed the narrative, without it none of this is happening.
10-11-2017 10:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Online
Lifelong member of the general public

I Root For: Acts grown old

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-11-2017 10:34 PM)stc Wrote:  This may not be a popular opinion. Please don't take this as an endorsement for Watts. If the program hadn't been shut down, I see no way we have the facilities we have now. Clark would of had a very successful 2015 & would've been scooped up by a bigger program. In a year or so we'd have been right back where we started. The shutdown changed the narrative, without it none of this is happening.

That is the opinion of most people. that is the opinion that will go down in history.
10-11-2017 10:40 PM
stc Offline

(10-11-2017 10:40 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 10:34 PM)stc Wrote:  This may not be a popular opinion. Please don't take this as an endorsement for Watts. If the program hadn't been shut down, I see no way we have the facilities we have now. Clark would of had a very successful 2015 & would've been scooped up by a bigger program. In a year or so we'd have been right back where we started. The shutdown changed the narrative, without it none of this is happening.

That is the opinion of most people. that is the opinion that will go down in history.

We've got a few that don't believe it, lol. Long term what happened wasn't just best for football, it was best for the entire athletic department. We have a chance to grow now.
10-11-2017 10:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award

Those good things happened because of what we did, after the moronic blunders of Ray Watts. Not because of them.

In a state governed in the interests of its people and under the rule of law (you know, the things the United Nations Charter sets as a basic standard) we would have had all of those things: a Board of Trustees accountable to the people, making decisions to advance the university and thereby the community. That means soliciting and accepting donations for the football program, regardless of what the boosters for another program might wish, and regardless of the insane masturbatory fantasies of a dead football coach's offspring.

That we had to go through this sort of charade, and see real measurable psychic pain inflicted on a nunber of people - in direct violation of the oath taken by Ray Lannom Watts - to reach this point in the program's development is not a good thing. It is a measure of the vicious insanity that has governed Alabama for 198 years and is now metastasizing elsewhere.

The good things that happened here are those that we committed, and you stood tall among us. But the outcome is simply the one that should have occurred all along. What could we have built here under sane leadership, turning the energy we deployed to defeat the evils of Ray Watts into building something positive for our people and community? By the divine trunk of Ganesh, what could we have had we harnessed that passion and energy to a Krulak, a real leader with a real vision, instead of fighting the Trustees and Watts in the streets?

I'm proud of what we did. Of what you did, and the rest of our brothers and sisters. But I am fully aware that it never should have been necessary.

Ray Watts, and all those moral cowards who gave him aid and comfort in the guise of "playing devil's advocate," can burn in the Ninth Circle of Hell with the rest of history's traitors.

Fire Ray Watts.
10-11-2017 11:07 PM
stc Offline

(10-11-2017 11:07 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

Those good things happened because of what we did, after the moronic blunders of Ray Watts. Not because of them.

In a state governed in the interests of its people and under the rule of law (you know, the things the United Nations Charter sets as a basic standard) we would have had all of those things: a Board of Trustees accountable to the people, making decisions to advance the university and thereby the community. That means soliciting and accepting donations for the football program, regardless of what the boosters for another program might wish, and regardless of the insane masturbatory fantasies of a dead football coach's offspring.

That we had to go through this sort of charade, and see real measurable psychic pain inflicted on a nunber of people - in direct violation of the oath taken by Ray Lannom Watts - to reach this point in the program's development is not a good thing. It is a measure of the vicious insanity that has governed Alabama for 198 years and is now metastasizing elsewhere.

The good things that happened here are those that we committed, and you stood tall among us. But the outcome is simply the one that should have occurred all along. What could we have built here under sane leadership, turning the energy we deployed to defeat the evils of Ray Watts into building something positive for our people and community? By the divine trunk of Ganesh, what could we have had we harnessed that passion and energy to a Krulak, a real leader with a real vision, instead of fighting the Trustees and Watts in the streets?

I'm proud of what we did. Of what you did, and the rest of our brothers and sisters. But I am fully aware that it never should have been necessary.

Ray Watts, and all those moral cowards who gave him aid and comfort in the guise of "playing devil's advocate," can burn in the Ninth Circle of Hell with the rest of history's traitors.

Fire Ray Watts.

I agree with all stated. It SHOULDNT have been necessary. I just don't think the fight happens without the hiring of Clark (He brought energy back to the base) & the subsequent shutdown. I thought I had my "Damn we pulled this off" moment at the opener. But it really hit me me at the La Tech game. I thought the whole ride home about everything we all did to get to this season. I also know this has lead to the undergrad growth we are seeing. It's truly amazing what these vocal few got done. I'm enjoying every second.
10-11-2017 11:22 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

I'd agree with that. Having the program taken away just when UAB fans were seeing a glimpse of hope, of what might be, mobilized them. The people who knew a bit about what was happening behind the scenes played their cards shrewdly. The Vocal Few refused to sit down and shut up, keeping up the pressure and the visibility until the Birmingham business community had time to think "Why on earth would a school the size of UAB, in Alabama of all places, NOT have football?"

That said, it was a dirty damn deal, and it's a shame that this PR fairy tale has been allowed to take root. You could fertilize fields with the stuff they're spreading.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 03:17 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
10-12-2017 03:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.