Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Can More Realignment Occur Without Causing the Networks to Pay Out Too Much?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
How Can More Realignment Occur Without Causing the Networks to Pay Out Too Much?
The Answer is must occur in stages and at the end of GOR's. How might it work out?

The PAC:

Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

California, Stanford, U.C.L.A., U.S.C.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

The PAC adds 4 state flagships 3 of which are AAU and three of which are national brands. The Networks involved (ESPN & FOX) elevate the pay of all of the schools splitting the costs per their present contract.

The B1G:

Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia

Indiana, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

The Big 10 adds an academic leader, and a National Brand that solidifies their market hold on the major Northern Midwestern cities and cities in New York and New England. The networks pay two schools more money and a slight raise for the rest of the Big 10.

The SEC:

Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Missouri, Texas A&M

The SEC adds a basketball national brand and two major markets and a regional brand in football.

CBS & ESPN add to the SEC current payouts nominally and North Carolina and Virginia Tech get a big boost.

The New P4 conference is born:

Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., Texas Tech

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami

Duke, Louisville, N.C. State, Wake Forest

Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia

This new conference would earn essentially what the Big 12 currently makes, which would be a raise for the ACC schools.

In this format the top brands of the ACC & Big 12 can move on to greater rewards, but the little brothers and privates have a place where they can make as much or more than they do now and still have full access to everything P4. And as you can see there are respectable brands that can advance from each division: West Virginia / Louisville or N.C. State / Clemson or Florida State / Oklahoma State or T.C.U..

The SEC doesn't have to add anymore than what it needs. Ditto for the Big 10. The PAC is upgraded. And the rest minus Baylor keep their place.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017 09:00 PM by JRsec.)
10-10-2017 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: How Can More Realignment Occur Without Causing the Networks to Pay Out Too Much?
So the networks merge the ACC scraps with the Big 12 scraps? I don't see it developing like this as ESPN is starting to get the ACC network bundled in major cable packages.

Right now the PAC, very low network distribution, and the Big 12, no conference network but individual third tier rights, are the fragile conferences heading into the 2020's.
10-11-2017 12:26 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

RE: How Can More Realignment Occur Without Causing the Networks to Pay Out Too Much?
(10-11-2017 12:26 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  So the networks merge the ACC scraps with the Big 12 scraps? I don't see it developing like this as ESPN is starting to get the ACC network bundled in major cable packages.

Right now the PAC, very low network distribution, and the Big 12, no conference network but individual third tier rights, are the fragile conferences heading into the 2020's.

What you say is true. But the ACC is still tied for the least viewed, still holds the properties that ESPN could profit even more from should they be in a majority held SEC and a majority held Big 10 which by 2035-6 could again find its way into ESPN hands.

2019 to 2035 will be way more than enough time to see if the ACCN is viable. If it can't close the gap for them then perhaps ESPN parses them out. The SEC and B1G could easily take the 12 necessary to void the GOR and dissolve the conference.

But, I'll say this. If ESPN goes all out to land Texas and Oklahoma then I take that as a solid sign that the ACC will be fine no matter what and that ESPN will continue to settle for some of the Big 10 and split the lease with FOX on the PAC.

The reason being that ESPN will have gained total control over Texas and Oklahoma which together represent 70% of the total viewership of the Big 12 and which are also the two states with the highest % of total viewers who actually watch. That means a monopoly for ESPN over the two states should they wind up in either or both of the ACC and SEC. I think ESPN would be quite content with that.

Texas will want to stick with buddies new or old. So if Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State can be lured to the SEC an 18 member conference emerges for us:

Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech
Alabama, Auburn, L.S.U., Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Then if ESPN truly wants to build up the ACCN I suggest they add Tulane, Houston and T.C.U.. Then an 18 member ACC arises.

Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Miami, T.C.U., Tulane
Clemson, Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech.

If N.D. has to remain a partial then add West Virginia in that divisional slot.

New Orleans, Houston and Dallas Ft Worth are worth a lot more money to the ACCN than Connecticut and Cincinnati. Notre Dame and Louisville carry a lot of Cincinnati. B.C. and Syracuse cover a lot of Connecticut's peripheral markets already. So for the cost of leaving the state of Connecticut uncovered the ACC gains quite a bit of bite down I10.

If however Texas and Oklahoma head West or North then I look for ESPN to go after the Big 10 contract and placate and expand the SEC.
10-11-2017 02:24 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
It makes sense that ESPN would want to store additional properties in the ACC because the threshold for profitability is lower and therefore the cost is lower.

Maybe something akin to this...

ACC adds West Virginia, UConn, TCU, and Houston

*Notre Dame remains independent

North: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville
Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest
South: Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, TCU, Houston

Your 4th semi-final participant probably comes from the South in most years.

-----------------

SEC adds Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas

West: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri
Central: LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky

-----------------

Then I think ESPN uses the remaining properties to build a new Western league while also back-filling the American.

Big 12:

West: San Diego State, UNLV, BYU, Boise State, Colorado State, Air Force
East: New Mexico, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, Kansas State, Iowa State

American:

West: Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, Memphis, Navy, Army
East: UCF, USF, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Temple, Buffalo
10-12-2017 03:11 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
This is a round peg in a square hole approach.
Your first premise is suspect. Why would Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State want to go to the PAC?
Now I could see Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State moving to the PAC (or even adding Iowa State and Missouri for an 18 team conference).
What would the PAC get? A football brand in the CTZ to help introduce PAC football to the rest of the country, and a basketball program that could help jump start the PAC as a player in the basketball world.
What is in it for the schools? An opportunity to keep your old Big 8 friends as close as possible and only having to adopt one other culture instead of several.
10-12-2017 07:10 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(10-12-2017 07:10 AM)XLance Wrote:  This is a round peg in a square hole approach.
Your first premise is suspect. Why would Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State want to go to the PAC?
Now I could see Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State moving to the PAC (or even adding Iowa State and Missouri for an 18 team conference).
What would the PAC get? A football brand in the CTZ to help introduce PAC football to the rest of the country, and a basketball program that could help jump start the PAC as a player in the basketball world.
What is in it for the schools? An opportunity to keep your old Big 8 friends as close as possible and only having to adopt one other culture instead of several.

In that 6 team group, you might be surprised Nebraska might be interested in the spot instead of Missouri if things don't turn around in the B1G. Renew their rivalry with OU, access to California for recruiting grounds. It might be better than being the far Western school in the B1G with no natural recruiting grounds.
10-12-2017 10:55 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-12-2017 10:55 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 07:10 AM)XLance Wrote:  This is a round peg in a square hole approach.

In that 6 team group, you might be surprised Nebraska might be interested in the spot instead of Missouri if things don't turn around in the B1G. Renew their rivalry with OU, access to California for recruiting grounds. It might be better than being the far Western school in the B1G with no natural recruiting grounds.

Why not Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas to the PAC.
The Big 10 and SEC could then each move to 18 out of the ACC and the Big 12 remnants.

Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State to the SEC.
Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Then a new 18 member conference could be formed out of the rest and have P status.

Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Miami, Pittsburgh, West Virginia

Baylor, Kansas State, Memphis, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., Tulane

Boise State, Brigham Young, Colorado State, Nevada or New Mexico, San Diego State, Texas Tech
10-12-2017 11:54 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
Convince UT and OU to leave the B12 without little brothers…. The SEC is the "only" conference that could provide both schools with the $$$ and marquee matchups to consider such a proposal.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 11:34 AM by Underdog.)
10-13-2017 11:26 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The ACC South has overlap and rivalry interests with the SEC East.

The Big 12 South has overlap and rivalry interests with the SEC West.

There is a lot more money to be made in more games like UT-TAMU, WVU-Pitt, Arkansas-UT, Clemson-Auburn, Auburn-GT, GT-TN, Miami-UF, etc, etc etc.

ESPN holds all the rights to the Big 12, SEC, and ACC. They could grease the wheels and make this either an informal or formal marriage.
10-13-2017 11:47 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-13-2017 11:47 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The ACC South has overlap and rivalry interests with the SEC East.

There is a lot more money to be made in more games like UT-TAMU, WVU-Pitt, Arkansas-UT, Clemson-Auburn, Auburn-GT, GT-TN, Miami-UF, etc, etc etc.

ESPN holds all the rights to the Big 12, SEC, and ACC. They could grease the wheels and make this either an informal or formal marriage.

It would make one huge conference, but it could work.

I don't know what you would do with the Northern ACC schools though outside of Pitt. I guess the B1G would take them, but I don't know.
10-13-2017 01:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-13-2017 11:47 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The ACC South has overlap and rivalry interests with the SEC East.

You are in error sir. ESPN holds the majority of rights to the SEC as CBS holds the T1 rights. ESPN holds all of the ACC. But, ESPN only holds 50% of the Big 12 T1 & T2 rights and only T3 rights to Kansas and Texas. FOX and local networks hold the rest.
10-13-2017 02:12 PM
Advertisement

(10-13-2017 02:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You are in error sir. ESPN holds the majority of rights to the SEC as CBS holds the T1 rights. ESPN holds all of the ACC. But, ESPN only holds 50% of the Big 12 T1 & T2 rights and only T3 rights to Kansas and Texas. FOX and local networks hold the rest.

ESPN holds a strong majority of the rights of all three conferences and runs the TV channel for all three conferences and has the cash reserves and financial benefit to be motivated to collect what it doesn't already have. I am wrong on the specifics but my general point stands.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 03:05 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-13-2017 03:04 PM

(10-13-2017 01:55 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  It would make one huge conference, but it could work.

I don't know what you would do with the Northern ACC schools though outside of Pitt. I guess the B1G would take them, but I don't know.

You make the B1G an offer they can't and won't refuse. We get Nebraska. You get Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Boston College.

Then let the B1G and Pac-12 go off and cement their little love affair in Pasadena forever and ever and always with a bunch of i's dotted with bubbly rainbow hearts.
10-13-2017 03:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-13-2017 03:04 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

ESPN holds a strong majority of the rights of all three conferences and runs the TV channel for all three conferences and has the cash reserves and financial benefit to be motivated to collect what it doesn't already have. I am wrong on the specifics but my general point stands.

I do wholeheartedly concur with the tenor of your original post. But there would be some required buyout of FOX rights for the Big 12. That's why I have calculated that moving Texas and Oklahoma with any two other Big 12 schools to the SEC / ACC / or both would cost the Network 100 million. 70 million for the conference bumps and an additional 30 million for the pay boosts to the 4 schools involved minus the 5 Big 12 payout for which ESPN now foots the bill. Then when you back out the overhead loss for the LHN as it is absorbed by the new conference it's almost a wash.

This is why I'm sold that the play will be for 4 Big 12 schools and on the long shot 5 if WVU is involved.
10-13-2017 03:26 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(10-12-2017 11:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 10:55 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  

Why not Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas to the PAC.
The Big 10 and SEC could then each move to 18 out of the ACC and the Big 12 remnants.

Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State to the SEC.
Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Then a new 18 member conference could be formed out of the rest and have P status.

Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Miami, Pittsburgh, West Virginia

Baylor, Kansas State, Memphis, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., Tulane

Boise State, Brigham Young, Colorado State, Nevada or New Mexico, San Diego State, Texas Tech
I think the 18 member PAC scenarios would be most attractive to Big 12 schools. It would give them 5 conference games in the Central time zone to start, and if they play 2 games against the other 2 divisions split home and away, that's 2 more with only 2 road trips to late-starting Pacific zone games. This scenario gives several strong and traditional opponents within their division, and they'd regularly play attractive opponents like USC from out west. OU could schedule Oklahoma State out of conference, and with dust settled UT/aTm could also resume. There'd still be room for one lower level "warm-up" opponent plus one more attractive draw on the schedule.
10-13-2017 07:53 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
(10-10-2017 08:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The Answer is must occur in stages and at the end of GOR's. How might it work out?

The PAC:

Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

California, Stanford, U.C.L.A., U.S.C.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

The PAC adds 4 state flagships 3 of which are AAU and three of which are national brands. The Networks involved (ESPN & FOX) elevate the pay of all of the schools splitting the costs per their present contract.

The B1G:

Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia

Indiana, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

The Big 10 adds an academic leader, and a National Brand that solidifies their market hold on the major Northern Midwestern cities and cities in New York and New England. The networks pay two schools more money and a slight raise for the rest of the Big 10.

The SEC:

Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Missouri, Texas A&M

The SEC adds a basketball national brand and two major markets and a regional brand in football.

CBS & ESPN add to the SEC current payouts nominally and North Carolina and Virginia Tech get a big boost.

The New P4 conference is born:

Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., Texas Tech

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami

Duke, Louisville, N.C. State, Wake Forest

Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia

This new conference would earn essentially what the Big 12 currently makes, which would be a raise for the ACC schools.

In this format the top brands of the ACC & Big 12 can move on to greater rewards, but the little brothers and privates have a place where they can make as much or more than they do now and still have full access to everything P4. And as you can see there are respectable brands that can advance from each division: West Virginia / Louisville or N.C. State / Clemson or Florida State / Oklahoma State or T.C.U..

The SEC doesn't have to add anymore than what it needs. Ditto for the Big 10. The PAC is upgraded. And the rest minus Baylor keep their place.

What Fox and Disney could do is concentrate their efforts on the PAC, Big Ten and SEC. That would allow the fourth P4 to go into the open market. Games involving Florida State, Clemson and West Virginia would attract considerable interest from companies eager to get into CFB in a big way. Maybe AT&T, Comcast, Amazon or some new company would find it attractive.
10-13-2017 08:21 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-13-2017 03:07 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 01:55 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  It would make one huge conference, but it could work.

You make the B1G an offer they can't and won't refuse. We get Nebraska. You get Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Boston College.

Then let the B1G and Pac-12 go off and cement their little love affair in Pasadena forever and ever and always with a bunch of i's dotted with bubbly rainbow hearts.

Midwest: Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State,
West: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss
South: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina
North: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh
East: Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech

That's a pretty solid 30.
10-13-2017 08:26 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(10-13-2017 03:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I do wholeheartedly concur with the tenor of your original post. But there would be some required buyout of FOX rights for the Big 12. That's why I have calculated that moving Texas and Oklahoma with any two other Big 12 schools to the SEC / ACC / or both would cost the Network 100 million. 70 million for the conference bumps and an additional 30 million for the pay boosts to the 4 schools involved minus the 5 Big 12 payout for which ESPN now foots the bill. Then when you back out the overhead loss for the LHN as it is absorbed by the new conference it's almost a wash.

This is why I'm sold that the play will be for 4 Big 12 schools and on the long shot 5 if WVU is involved.

Why would you ever take Missouri and not ever take Kansas too? Then you add Oklahoma for 16.
Texas and TCU.....BOOM!
10-13-2017 08:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-13-2017 08:35 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Why would you ever take Missouri and not ever take Kansas too? Then you add Oklahoma for 16.
Texas and TCU.....BOOM!

Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and T.C.U. would be a very nice foursome. I'm just not thinking we get OU without OSU.

I still think that the ACC should consider leaving N.D. as an independent and adding four as well.

Tulane (New Orleans), T.C.U. (DFW) and Houston would make a
Southern Gulf Division of 6.

Florida State (I-10), Georgia Tech (Direct Flight), Houston (I-10), Miami (Direct Flight), T.C.U. (Direct Flight), Tulane (I-10)

Mid Atlantic:

North Atlantic:
Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

X that adds a tremendous number of households for the ACCN Launch!

Then the SEC could go for either Texa-homa, or Texas, Kansas, and the Oklahomas.

That's two really great 18 team divisions in terms of markets,
10-14-2017 12:01 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2017 12:01 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 08:35 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 02:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  You are in error sir. ESPN holds the majority of rights to the SEC as CBS holds the T1 rights. ESPN holds all of the ACC. But, ESPN only holds 50% of the Big 12 T1 & T2 rights and only T3 rights to Kansas and Texas. FOX and local networks hold the rest.

Texas and TCU.....BOOM!

Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and T.C.U. would be a very nice foursome. I'm just not thinking we get OU without OSU.

I still think that the ACC should consider leaving N.D. as an independent and adding four as well.

Tulane (New Orleans), T.C.U. (DFW) and Houston would make a
Southern Gulf Division of 6.

Florida State (I-10), Georgia Tech (Direct Flight), Houston (I-10), Miami (Direct Flight), T.C.U. (Direct Flight), Tulane (I-10)

Mid Atlantic:

North Atlantic:
Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

X that adds a tremendous number of households for the ACCN Launch!

Then the SEC could go for either Texa-homa, or Texas, Kansas, and the Oklahomas.

That's two really great 18 team divisions in terms of markets,

I have always liked Tulane if they would eve make up their minds about whether to support athletics or not.
With 18 I would imagine it would be West Virginia, Tulane, TCU and Texas, or better yet you take West Virginia and give us Vandy.
10-14-2017 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.