Coaching-A+
Special Teams-B+
10-09-2017 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
94computerguy Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: JMU Football Interim Report Card
Something's not right with the offense, that's for sure. If I knew what it was, I wouldn't be sitting here typing about it.
10-09-2017 06:50 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(10-09-2017 06:50 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  Something's not right with the offense, that's for sure. If I knew what it was, I wouldn't be sitting here typing about it.

Ravenel
Taylor
Davis
Abdullah
Rigney
Frank
Kirsch
All graduated

Chavious and Butler injured
Johnson injured
Miller injured

Kloosterman suspended and sick
Alls and Edwards suspended just back

It will take awhile

Defense A
Offense and special teams B
Coaching A
10-09-2017 07:00 PM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
In effect we have had to rebuild the right side of the O line twice. Frank and Kirsch graduated. Then Chavious and Butler get season ending injuries. Add in Kloosterman's extended absence. And Edwards suspension. That has affected pass protection, run blocking and overall cohesiveness. Throw in Miller missing games and Alls also, plus we graduated some really good receivers, that has affected the passing game. Once again we lost Cardon and Abdullah went from good to great as last season progressed. All of the above seems to me why the offense is struggling. It was evident in summer camp and it has continued.

Is there hope?

YES. Last year we came out of the Bye week and got better and better each week and peaked in the playoffs.
10-09-2017 07:26 PM
Knit35 Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 07:26 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  In effect we have had to rebuild the right side of the O line twice. Frank and Kirsch graduated. Then Chavious and Butler get season ending injuries. Add in Kloosterman's extended absence. And Edwards suspension. That has affected pass protection, run blocking and overall cohesiveness. Throw in Miller missing games and Alls also, plus we graduated some really good receivers, that has affected the passing game. Once again we lost Cardon and Abdullah went from good to great as last season progressed. All of the above seems to me why the offense is struggling. It was evident in summer camp and it has continued.

Is there hope?

YES. Last year we came out of the Bye week and got better and better each week and peaked in the playoffs.

It would help a lot if we didn’t turn the ball over 1-2 Times a game, have numerous penalties and learn to make tough catches in traffic. Additionally I maintain Schor has been sloppy from game one. Quite inaccurate, poor reads and forced throws. We have lots of upside but the time for adjustments is slowly coming to the front.
10-09-2017 07:52 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Can someone remind me what our record is? I mean, I thought I knew, but some of these posts have me wondering if I'm thinking of a different team.

Sent from my VS988 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-09-2017 07:59 PM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 07:59 PM)olderduke Wrote:  Can someone remind me what our record is? I mean, I thought I knew, but some of these posts have me wondering if I'm thinking of a different team.

No kidding
10-09-2017 08:05 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I am in the camp with most of you. Defense and coaching are doing well. Special teams was going to fall off without Davis this year (though O'Kelly can be a unique weapon). Offense is just out of sync. Too many new parts in the starting lineup. We're not sustaining/ finishing drives as well.

I'll use our game against ECU as an example. We scored 34 points on 614 yards of offense.
ECU opponents since then with points scored/yardage gained:

WVU: 614yds/ 56 pts
VT: 675yds/ 56pts
UConn: 596yds/ 38 pts
USF: 575yds/ 61pts
Temple: 523yds/ 34 pts.

Second most (tied) in yardage gained, but tied for last in points scored. Just not getting the bang for the buck.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 08:11 PM by olddawg.)
10-09-2017 08:09 PM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I think our play calling and/or some of the passing decisions have affected our offense dramatically. We throw way too many 50/50 flag/streak patterns. And, we are lucky if we are 50 percent on those. They destroy the rhythm and put us behind the chains too much. Our pass plays last year were much more innovative. We need to concentrate on moving the chains and not the home-run.

Our biggest loss IMHO so far has been Kloosterman. We aren't getting the tight end involved nearly enough.
10-09-2017 08:10 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
JMU Football Interim Report Card
(10-09-2017 07:59 PM)olderduke Wrote:  Can someone remind me what our record is? I mean, I thought I knew, but some of these posts have me wondering if I'm thinking of a different team.

0-5 from the sound of it.
10-09-2017 08:31 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

Offense: B+
Defense: A+
Special Teams: B-
Coaching: A
Injury Prevention Unit: C-
Conf Commissioner: F-
Sideline Reporting: I
10-09-2017 10:10 PM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 10:10 PM)2Buck Wrote:  Offense: B+
Defense: A+
Special Teams: B-
Coaching: A
Injury Prevention Unit: C-
Conf Commissioner: F-
Sideline Reporting: I

+1
10-10-2017 06:13 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

Can someone remind me who we've played yet?

I'm all about appreciating where we are but the right time to be concerned about issues isn't once you start losing. We have done a great job against primarily lesser competition but there are absolutely things that need cleaned up particularly on the offensive side of the ball and with ball security.

Defense has been great and the other side is absolutely getting it done but if you don's see room for improvement you've got purple blindness. Of course if anyone asks me, we are the best team out there and Alabama is scared to schedule us 03-cool
10-10-2017 07:22 AM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(10-09-2017 08:31 PM)Potomac Wrote:  

0-5 from the sound of it.

Perhaps we should not compare the offense from the first 5 games of this year to the last 5 games from last year. Last year 4 of the remaining 6 regular season games were very close with wins by 3, 4, and 7 points, and 13 at Villanova which was much closer than that margin. Hopefully by the last 5 games this year all three aspects of team play will be at their best like they were last year. If it happens sooner, like this week, that would be great.
10-10-2017 07:27 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU Football Interim Report Card
We’ve played and beat an fbs team. We’ve beaten a now ranked Delaware team on the road.
10-10-2017 07:28 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-10-2017 07:22 AM)doubleduke2016 Wrote:  

I'm all about appreciating where we are but the right time to be concerned about issues isn't once you start losing. We have done a great job against primarily lesser competition but there are absolutely things that need cleaned up particularly on the offensive side of the ball and with ball security.

Defense has been great and the other side is absolutely getting it done but if you don's see room for improvement you've got purple blindness. Of course if anyone asks me, we are the best team out there and Alabama is scared to schedule us 03-cool

I think you need to take a deep breath. Maine, Delaware and ECU (the last two played on the road no less) are not "lesser competition." I also believe MH and his staff have everything under control.
10-10-2017 04:56 PM
Knit35 Offline
1st String

(10-10-2017 04:56 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 07:22 AM)doubleduke2016 Wrote:  

I think you need to take a deep breath. Maine, Delaware and ECU (the last two played on the road no less) are not "lesser competition." I also believe MH and his staff have everything under control.

We often speak out both sides of our mouth. Criticisms are fair and accurate. We are 5-0 however not against the best on the road or not. Our offense has put up some yardage but not points what ultimately matters most. In addition we have turned the ball over and had a lot of penalties while being excellent on defense. Our Offense is out of sync with inconsistent results. Schor has a lot of inaccurate throws and has been on a bad pace with turnovers both thru the air and via ground. I’m thankful to have this conversation at 5-0 but concerned if we don’t fix these items we won’t have it potentially after this week. So which is it, have we played poor against lower teir competition in the CAA and lower tier OOC opponents or has the completion been just amazing against us and forgotten to show the same vigor in other weeks? We can’t say the same things in the same thread arguement. Everyone has a solid opinion on this but objectively we have to admit our shortcomings.
10-10-2017 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.