Tentative agreement in place to put SEC and ACC Networks on cable in NYC
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Tentative agreement in place to put SEC and ACC Networks on cable in NYC
Chadd Scott gives us the details

A few interesting points to be made...

-We've talked about it before around here, but this looks like the MO for ESPN...that is bundling the SEC and ACC Networks as a means to get carriage for both in the same markets. I think it's reasonable to say that ESPN will try not to have too much market crossover between the 2 leagues as that would reduce the potential bundling opportunities. New and unique markets for each league would seem to be a more profitable approach.

-Scott's point about the lack of a sports bubble needs a little context. There isn't really a sports bubble as much as there is a distributor bubble. The cable companies are having to transition to new technology and so the abandoning of cable for Netflix is relevant. Sports isn't really dying, but it is changing. In the end, that may change just how profitable some of these rights deals are, but the next wave of contracts will probably still be flush with cash.

-2 million extra subs in NYC is a big deal. Is there a cable company of size in the US that the SEC Network doesn't have a deal with?
10-05-2017 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

RE: Tentative agreement in place to put SEC and ACC Networks on cable in NYC
In other news, ESPN has signed a deal to broadcast Formula 1 next year.

Apparently, content acquisition mode is now in full swing...
10-05-2017 01:22 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(10-05-2017 01:22 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  In other news, ESPN has signed a deal to broadcast Formula 1 next year.

They stealing that crap from NBCSN? What they need to steal is a top European soccer league to broadcast every morning on ESPN2. Sooooo much money wasted air time there that NBCSN, FOX Sports and BeinSports are just milking for live profit money.
10-05-2017 01:28 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2017 01:28 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:22 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  In other news, ESPN has signed a deal to broadcast Formula 1 next year.

They stealing that crap from NBCSN? What they need to steal is a top European soccer league to broadcast every morning on ESPN2. Sooooo much money wasted air time there that NBCSN, FOX Sports and BeinSports are just milking for live profit money.

I agree they should go after one of the major leagues. I'd prefer La Liga if they can't nail down the EPL.

Also, if I were ESPN then I would rebrand ESPNews as ESPN3 and try to fill it with so much live content that it came to be equal with ESPN2.
10-05-2017 02:02 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-05-2017 02:02 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I agree they should go after one of the major leagues. I'd prefer La Liga if they can't nail down the EPL.

Also, if I were ESPN then I would rebrand ESPNews as ESPN3 and try to fill it with so much live content that it came to be equal with ESPN2.

Assuming ESPN can gather enough content to warrant such an upgrade
10-05-2017 02:09 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
So what unique market adds do you see?

I'm thinking that the ACC adds West Virginia and Connecticut to get to 16 and B.Y.U. joins the ACC as a partial member for football but not minor sports. That way B.Y.U. and N.D. make a little more than a full partner.

I'm still thinking Texa-homa to the SEC. That pretty well ties up ESPN's products with a nice bow on top.

Thoughts?
10-05-2017 02:29 AM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I would stay away from la liga until I know if that league kicks out the Catalonia clubs over their impending independence from Spain. Losing a Huuuuuuuge brand like Barcelona FC is a deal breaker and kills TV contract value .
10-05-2017 07:20 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(10-05-2017 02:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  So what unique market adds do you see?

I'm thinking that the ACC adds West Virginia and Connecticut to get to 16 and B.Y.U. joins the ACC as a partial member for football but not minor sports. That way B.Y.U. and N.D. make a little more than a full partner.

I'm still thinking Texa-homa to the SEC. That pretty well ties up ESPN's products with a nice bow on top.

Thoughts?

If you can get your "package" accepted without West Virginia, UConn and BYU why add them at all. Unless those 3 can generate their own income (plus a little for the conference) their additions become a net negative for everyone else.
It would be hard to imagine that UConn and West Virginia (forget about BYU for the moment) could add at least $90 Million in advertising revenue ($40 million each plus a conference share).
10-05-2017 08:35 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(10-05-2017 08:35 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Thoughts?

If you can get your "package" accepted without West Virginia, UConn and BYU why add them at all. Unless those 3 can generate their own income (plus a little for the conference) their additions become a net negative for everyone else.
It would be hard to imagine that UConn and West Virginia (forget about BYU for the moment) could add at least $90 Million in advertising revenue ($40 million each plus a conference share).

WV is a curious and peculiar issue. I would guess that they would have a few significant advocates (FSU, Clemson, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville), but the two main issues with them remain: lack of market presence (i.e. cable subscribers) and wretched and unsafe fan behavior.
10-05-2017 08:42 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Thoughts?

Why pay more for BYU when they already fill the Thursday and Friday time slots nicely with cheaper MW opponents?
10-05-2017 09:21 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2017 07:20 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

I would stay away from la liga until I know if that league kicks out the Catalonia clubs over their impending independence from Spain. Losing a Huuuuuuuge brand like Barcelona FC is a deal breaker and kills TV contract value .

It would kill the value, that's why I can't see them doing it.

I'm not familiar enough with the politics of the region to know how everything is going to shake out, but the league would be foolish to kick out any clubs. Of course, it's possible they're so foolish so...
10-05-2017 01:40 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-05-2017 08:42 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:35 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Thoughts?

WV is a curious and peculiar issue. I would guess that they would have a few significant advocates (FSU, Clemson, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville), but the two main issues with them remain: lack of market presence (i.e. cable subscribers) and wretched and unsafe fan behavior.

Their total gross revenue last year was 105 million. They would have finished in the top 4 slots in the ACC last year and that's inclusive of Notre Dame. In fact they would have finished 1 million ahead of Clemson. So.... UConn is debatable, they still manage to stay well above 64th position in revenue in spite of being in a poorly paid conference. B.Y.U. would be a numbers grab for the ACCN.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 01:50 PM by JRsec.)
10-05-2017 01:46 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Thoughts?

Yeah, Texa-homa still makes sense for the SEC.

Other than that, I don't know what the powers that be might be thinking. There aren't a lot of markets up for grabs.

Maybe the ACC expands into the middle of the country yet?

Maybe content acquisition mode includes snagging Mountain West schools to combine with Big 12 leftovers and better tap that region of the country?
10-05-2017 02:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
This statement was released by ESPN about the deal with Altice:

Quote:As part of the new multi-year agreement, Optimum will continue to provide its customers widespread access to WABC, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN3 and Freeform, as well as make available additional multiplatform, digital and expanded on-demand content from The Walt Disney Company. Optimum will add ESPN’s SEC Network in late 2018 and launch ACC Network (in place of another ESPN network) in August 2019. The companies also expect to collaborate on ESPN’s direct-to-consumer product, which is slated to launch in early 2018, and have agreed to leverage Altice USA’s data analytics platform.
Optimum customers will continue to receive full streaming access to existing authenticated apps like ABC, Freeform, DisneyNOW (Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD) and ESPN (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Bases Loaded). These products give Optimum customers the flexibility to stream live and on-demand, both in home and out of home, on their computers, phones, tablets, gaming consoles and smart TVs.

SOURCE: http://es.pn/2wAtidM

So, which ESPN channel gets dropped when the ACC Network launches? I'm guessing ESPNews (does anybody actually watch that)?
10-06-2017 06:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2017 06:58 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  This statement was released by ESPN about the deal with Altice:

Quote:As part of the new multi-year agreement, Optimum will continue to provide its customers widespread access to WABC, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN3 and Freeform, as well as make available additional multiplatform, digital and expanded on-demand content from The Walt Disney Company. Optimum will add ESPN’s SEC Network in late 2018 and launch ACC Network (in place of another ESPN network) in August 2019. The companies also expect to collaborate on ESPN’s direct-to-consumer product, which is slated to launch in early 2018, and have agreed to leverage Altice USA’s data analytics platform.
Optimum customers will continue to receive full streaming access to existing authenticated apps like ABC, Freeform, DisneyNOW (Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD) and ESPN (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Bases Loaded). These products give Optimum customers the flexibility to stream live and on-demand, both in home and out of home, on their computers, phones, tablets, gaming consoles and smart TVs.

So, which ESPN channel gets dropped when the ACC Network launches? I'm guessing ESPNews (does anybody actually watch that)?

That's fascinating.

ESPN is sacrificing one revenue stream for another. I'd bet the ACCN will come at a higher sub rate, but it's still interesting. NYC is basically home turf for the ACC so it's a little weird.

I imagine ESPN might phase out another channel over time or this could be indicative of the kind of deals ESPN will have to make to get distribution for the ACCN.
10-06-2017 09:08 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-06-2017 09:08 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 06:58 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  This statement was released by ESPN about the deal with Altice:

That's fascinating.

ESPN is sacrificing one revenue stream for another. I'd bet the ACCN will come at a higher sub rate, but it's still interesting. NYC is basically home turf for the ACC so it's a little weird.

I imagine ESPN might phase out another channel over time or this could be indicative of the kind of deals ESPN will have to make to get distribution for the ACCN.

More indicative of how useless ESPNews has become, IMO... You see Disney didn't put up much of a fight to keep it, right?
10-06-2017 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
This is a positive development for both conferences. I'd guess the ACC gets a higher carriage rate than the SEC in NY, but neither will be a huge number. However, the number of cable subscribers in that area should give both a nice bump in revenues.

That's fascinating.

10-06-2017 01:45 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-06-2017 01:45 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  This is a positive development for both conferences. I'd guess the ACC gets a higher carriage rate than the SEC in NY, but neither will be a huge number. However, the number of cable subscribers in that area should give both a nice bump in revenues.

That's fascinating.

It's like the SECN in Mexico. Nice market, low carriage rate, and something is better than nothing.
10-06-2017 03:02 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-06-2017 10:21 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

That's fascinating.

More indicative of how useless ESPNews has become, IMO... You see Disney didn't put up much of a fight to keep it, right?

FS1 tried doing different versions of sportscenter and sporting news and realized they were terrible at it and no one was watching it in this day and age as the i ternet allows anyone to specialize the content and highlights to that user. Talk shows/radio shows are now used to fill that programming space.

ESPNNews is dead and is mostly watched to catch the beginning a a local game when another one runs over into another's air time. I think we would all rather have alternative channels that allow us to watch the beginning of the ESPN2 game on ESPN2-A while the previous match ends.

Times are a changing for sure.
10-06-2017 04:03 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If the SEC and ACC overflow channels are both included, the four-letter network is really getting four channels in place of one. During the times that News gets pressed into live coverage, games involving SEC and ACC teams can move to their respective networks - I'm thinking primarily NCAA women's basketball tournament, baseball tournament, and softball tournaments.

This may hurt a little bit during college football season, but it may force the four-letter network to go out and get deals nationally for the conference networks. The other leagues get more exposure on the other properties.
10-07-2017 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.