Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey North Texas
Bookmark and Share
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Hey North Texas
That offense is looking really good. 04-cheers

Rumors that Harrell is a top candidate for the Utep vacancy.
10-04-2017 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
RE: Hey North Texas
That's a trainwreck waiting to happen IMO.

He's only been a coach for 4 years, and an OC for only 1.5. It took Littrell 3 P5 OC jobs before he was hired by UNT.

He's improved but waaaay too green. Hell of a stretch if UTEP pulls that trigger.
10-04-2017 02:42 PM
NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(10-04-2017 02:14 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  That offense is looking really good. 04-cheers

We've talked about that on our site and most believe he doesn't have enough experience. This is only his third year of coaching, second as a coordinator.

That said ... who knows if UTEP would be interested or if Graham would be interested.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 02:48 PM by NorthTexan95.)
10-04-2017 02:47 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(10-04-2017 02:47 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:14 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  That offense is looking really good. 04-cheers

We've talked about that on our site and most believe he doesn't have enough experience. This is only his third year of coaching, second as a coordinator.

That said ... who knows if UTEP would be interested or if Graham would be interested.

Apparently an outside firm is conducting the coaching search. There must be mutual interest if he is one of the top finalist.
10-04-2017 02:58 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-04-2017 02:58 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

Apparently an outside firm is conducting the coaching search. There must be mutual interest if he is one of the top finalist.

I think he would jump at the chance if offered.

They are some similarities, North Texas is tough place to recruit also. They haven't had a draft pick since the 90's
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 04:14 PM by Dawgxas.)
10-04-2017 04:13 PM
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
(10-04-2017 04:13 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

They are some similarities, North Texas is tough place to recruit also. They haven't had a draft pick since the 90's

Cody Spencer was our last draft pick in 2004
10-04-2017 05:17 PM
Advertisement

NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

Has there been any official word that Graham is on their short list? Do they even have a short list so soon? All I've heard so far is spit balling from reporters.

I can't believe they would already have "finalists" unless they've been working on this for a long time. The last thing UTEP should do is rush to hire someone.
10-04-2017 06:13 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

How is North Texas a tough place to recruit? They have 6.5 million people just south of them.
10-04-2017 06:32 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(10-04-2017 06:13 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  

Has there been any official word that Graham is on their short list? Do they even have a short list so soon? All I've heard so far is spit balling from reporters.

I can't believe they would already have "finalists" unless they've been working on this for a long time. The last thing UTEP should do is rush to hire someone.

Nothing official from the university. People in the know tend to repeat information they hear. It’s also not something someone pulled out of thin air.

When was the last time the North Texas offense averaged more than 40 points per game?
10-04-2017 07:13 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2017 07:13 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

Nothing official from the university. People in the know tend to repeat information they hear. It’s also not something someone pulled out of thin air.

When was the last time the North Texas offense averaged more than 40 points per game?

I'm fairly sure North Texas has never averaged more then 40 points a game in any season. We are not even at 40 a game right now.

It is nice to see Harrell getting some love out their, but the guy just learned how to call a game. He is too green for a head coaching job right now.

If I were UTEP, I'd see if Eric Morris was interested. He would be a great natural fit. He has been the OC at Texas Tech for the past 4 seasons. He already has the Texas ties, and understands how to lure players out to the desert. Morris is ready.

Besides, if Littrell continues to be successful, our money may not be green enough to keep him around, and we will need Harrell to keep the ball rolling in Denton.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 08:12 PM by Side Show Joe.)
10-04-2017 08:08 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(10-04-2017 06:32 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

How is North Texas a tough place to recruit? They have 6.5 million people just south of them.

it has to do with sucking a lot and a history of terrible administrations to aid that
10-04-2017 08:32 PM
Advertisement

NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2017 08:32 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:47 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  We've talked about that on our site and most believe he doesn't have enough experience. This is only his third year of coaching, second as a coordinator.

it has to do with sucking a lot and a history of terrible administrations to aid that

Yep. I like to put it this way ... we had 15 years under our last athletic director. We won four conference titles, went to five bowl games, and built a very nice football stadium. In spite of all that it was by far THE WORST 15 year period in the history of UNT football including a few of THE WORST teams ever.

Our new University President and Athletic Director so far gives me hope.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 08:47 PM by NorthTexan95.)
10-04-2017 08:47 PM
NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

Um ... never. However, I wouldn't be so quick to give Graham all the credit. Seth Littrell is the one who came with skins on the wall for leading high powered offenses. Graham does call the plays but he's still learning.

If Graham is the hire then that's great. I just hope UTEP doesn't hire him just for his name because I have some doubts how well he would do as a head coach right now.
10-04-2017 08:52 PM
deb025 Offline
Banned

(10-04-2017 08:47 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:58 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Apparently an outside firm is conducting the coaching search. There must be mutual interest if he is one of the top finalist.

Yep. I like to put it this way ... we had 15 years under our last athletic director. We won four conference titles, went to five bowl games, and built a very nice football stadium. In spite of all that it was by far THE WORST 15 year period in the history of UNT football including a few of THE WORST teams ever.

SMU being good again and TCU being very good since 2000 makes UNT a tougher place to recruit. Like the poster said above UNT has the facilities now and has the money. Winning again will make the recruits take notice and consider UNT over SMU or TCU. For what UNT is paying Coach Littrell he better produce. I think he's doing an outstanding job so far. I've been to Apogge stadium two times and it's definitely first class. When Tech played there last year it was a good crowd. A lot of Tech fans were present. I'm hoping many UNT fans can make the trip to Ruston this year on 11/4/17.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 09:04 PM by deb025.)
10-04-2017 09:02 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Now that your FB program is up and running again, How 'bout y'all bring Baseball back . .
10-04-2017 09:17 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2017 09:02 PM)deb025 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:47 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 04:13 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  I think he would jump at the chance if offered.

SMU being good again and TCU being very good since 2000 makes UNT a tougher place to recruit. Like the poster said above UNT has the facilities now and has the money. Winning again will make the recruits take notice and consider UNT over SMU or TCU. For what UNT is paying Coach Littrell he better produce. I think he's doing an outstanding job so far. I've been to Apogge stadium two times and it's definitely first class. When Tech played there last year it was a good crowd. A lot of Tech fans were present. I'm hoping many UNT fans can make the trip to Ruston this year on 11/4/17.04-cheers

I'm going to try and make it out there. Currently renovating my house, so it isn't easy to find time for traveling to away games. But, we will see.

As to your comments about UNT... Our new leadership has done a good job of looking for advantages we might have over SMU, and developing plans to exploit those advantages. SMU is land-locked, and has certain restrictions placed on it. Their campus has no room to grow. Yes, they could use imminent domain to acquire more land, but most of their support lives in that neighborhood, and would probably stop their support if the university forced them or their neighbors out of their homes. North Texas has room to grow, so we are building a new indoor practice facility and weight room. It gets hot in DFW. Facilities like this provide UNT with amenities SMU just can't match. Our large Battle Flag is another example. SMU is limited by height restrictions for their facilities and structures. That is why Ford field is a low classic bowl. North Texas had no problem planting a 120 foot flagpole at one of the busiest freeway mergers in Texas. Believe me, we are looking for more areas where we can create unique advantages. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 09:24 PM by Side Show Joe.)
10-04-2017 09:24 PM
Advertisement

deb025 Offline
Banned

(10-04-2017 09:17 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Now that your FB program is up and running again, How 'bout y'all bring Baseball back . .

That's a good point. Not having a baseball team and expenses helps UNT out tremendously. UNT people, What's the status of your baseball program? You should be made to field a baseball team if you want to be in CUSA. Not hating but the major sports should be a requirement.
10-04-2017 09:48 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2017 09:48 PM)deb025 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 09:17 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Now that your FB program is up and running again, How 'bout y'all bring Baseball back . .

That's a good point. Not having a baseball team and expenses helps UNT out tremendously. UNT people, What's the status of your baseball program? You should be made to field a baseball team if you want to be in CUSA. Not hating but the major sports should be a requirement.

You and Bobcat87 bring up a very fair question. I would love to see baseball back at North Texas. It is a great sport and we should be able to field competitive teams. Also, it would help keep our fan base engaged after basketball season.

It is on our radar, but our AD has made it clear that he is focusing on growing and strengthening our current programs before adding new ones, and it is working. Our football, soccer, and volleyball teams are all at or near the top of the standings in C-USA, and our golf programs are good too. It could be 5 years or more before North Texas fields another baseball team, unless C-USA changes their rules and makes it mandatory.
10-04-2017 10:08 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(10-04-2017 08:52 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:47 PM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  We've talked about that on our site and most believe he doesn't have enough experience. This is only his third year of coaching, second as a coordinator.

Um ... never. However, I wouldn't be so quick to give Graham all the credit. Seth Littrell is the one who came with skins on the wall for leading high powered offenses. Graham does call the plays but he's still learning.

If Graham is the hire then that's great. I just hope UTEP doesn't hire him just for his name because I have some doubts how well he would do as a head coach right now.

I agree with those that are asking why UTEP would have a list of finalist for the coaching job when we have not hired the new AD yet. Our retiring AD recently said that the new AD will hire the new coach. If a search firm has supplied a list of coaches that UTEP should consider and are interested that's fine but I doubt we've gotten to that point yet. I also agree that Harrell is too inexperienced to be considered for a head coaching job at this point. He is doing a very good job with the UNT offense though.
10-05-2017 06:52 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-04-2017 10:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 09:48 PM)deb025 Wrote:  

You and Bobcat87 bring up a very fair question. I would love to see baseball back at North Texas. It is a great sport and we should be able to field competitive teams. Also, it would help keep our fan base engaged after basketball season.

It is on our radar, but our AD has made it clear that he is focusing on growing and strengthening our current programs before adding new ones, and it is working. Our football, soccer, and volleyball teams are all at or near the top of the standings in C-USA, and our golf programs are good too. It could be 5 years or more before North Texas fields another baseball team, unless C-USA changes their rules and makes it mandatory.

You also have to add girl's sports to match baseball scholarships.
10-05-2017 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.