Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Could Lose More Viewers If No Agreement Be Made With Altice/Suddenlink
DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
ESPN Could Lose More Viewers If No Agreement Be Made With Altice/Suddenlink
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywoo...story.html

This would be the first big test for ESPN. Altice who merged with Suddenlink are refusing to pay ESPN's demands. Altice wants a lower price for ESPN and the other channels from the Disney company. If ESPN loses out and ESPN goes dark? They could lose millions and millions of viewers and lose even more money. It is not just New York City, but where Suddenlink are at here in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, California, West Virginia and other states. The biggest areas outside of NYC would be the town where Texas A&M is at. They are Suddenlink subscribers. SEC Network will lose eastern Texas. The Razorbacks could have many of their fans go dark in Arkansas. Oklahoma will also lose viewers as well. If no deal be made when Altice/Suddenlink plays hardballs? The other cable providers who contracts are up in renewal coming soon could play hard ball, and could pull the plug on ESPN/Disney. This could put The Longhorn, SEC and ACC Networks in trouble. If ESPN loses 10 million or more in the next few years because the price demands are too high for the cable companies? Then, ESPN would be the biggest losers when they got way too greedy.
10-01-2017 05:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
RE: ESPN Could Lose More Viewers If No Agreement Be Made With Altice/Suddenlink
(10-01-2017 05:06 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywoo...story.html

This would be the first big test for ESPN. Altice who merged with Suddenlink are refusing to pay ESPN's demands. Altice wants a lower price for ESPN and the other channels from the Disney company. If ESPN loses out and ESPN goes dark? They could lose millions and millions of viewers and lose even more money. It is not just New York City, but where Suddenlink are at here in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, California, West Virginia and other states. The biggest areas outside of NYC would be the town where Texas A&M is at. They are Suddenlink subscribers. SEC Network will lose eastern Texas. The Razorbacks could have many of their fans go dark in Arkansas. Oklahoma will also lose viewers as well. If no deal be made when Altice/Suddenlink plays hardballs? The other cable providers who contracts are up in renewal coming soon could play hard ball, and could pull the plug on ESPN/Disney. This could put The Longhorn, SEC and ACC Networks in trouble. If ESPN loses 10 million or more in the next few years because the price demands are too high for the cable companies? Then, ESPN would be the biggest losers when they got way too greedy.

This is interesting. I wondering how much of an increase Disney wanted for ESPN. I said numerous times on this site that they want $10/Sub and people thought I was nuts. Something tells me that is the number they want. If that is the case, I do not blame Sudenlink one bit for holding their ground.

If they pull ESPN off their listings because of this, Charter will follow and ESPN will have no choice but to become a premium channel, of be set up like HBO GO.....
10-01-2017 06:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNCW
Both companies could end up the loser.

Active will lose subs at a time when they are already overly vulnerable to a subscriber loss

ESPN won't get the $$ they are asking for which does not boad well for future negotiations with bigger providers
10-01-2017 07:04 AM
johnbragg Offline

I Root For: St Johns
Pure speculation--I have to wonder if Altice being a foreign conglomerate plays a role. French executives aren't going to feel anything about losing Monday Night Football or a baseball playoff game--they're going to have a slightly different perspective than American executives.

Now, this could mean that the French executives see more clearly, rather than overvaluing American manhood tentpole programming. Or it could mean that the French executives misread their American customer base, who will demand that American manhood tentpole programming. I just think it's a factor that Altice is not going to think the same way Comcast or Time Warner will.
10-01-2017 08:52 AM

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(10-01-2017 07:04 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Both companies could end up the loser.

Active will lose subs at a time when they are already overly vulnerable to a subscriber loss

ESPN won't get the $$ they are asking for which does not boad well for future negotiations with bigger providers

It's the sports networks that are driving away the cable and satellite subcribers. I think the cable companies will stand their here because without ESPN, the cable companies can lower the prices of the basic or standard packages where the vast majority of customers (80%) who don't watch sports would rethiink about dropping them if the costs were reasonable.

I would like to know how many Orange vs Blue (no ESPN/Disney) there are for Sling.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 09:14 AM by MWC Tex.)
10-01-2017 09:09 AM
Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(10-01-2017 08:52 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Pure speculation--I have to wonder if Altice being a foreign conglomerate plays a role. French executives aren't going to feel anything about losing Monday Night Football or a baseball playoff game--they're going to have a slightly different perspective than American executives.

Now, this could mean that the French executives see more clearly, rather than overvaluing American manhood tentpole programming. Or it could mean that the French executives misread their American customer base, who will demand that American manhood tentpole programming. I just think it's a factor that Altice is not going to think the same way Comcast or Time Warner will.

What you are not considering is how this is an incredibly dangerous gamble by Suddenlink. In an environment where cable customers are leaving cable providers in droves, Suddenlink is going to go dark on ESPN and ABC in the middle of the college and NFL football seasons? What will happen is droves of football fans will take the opportunity to leave Suddenlink and go to competitors like a Comcast, ATT, Direct Tv, Dish, or to one of the newer streaming options like VUE, HULUtv, or Sling. So Suddenlink could literally end up losing a quarter to half their subscriber base. No football fan is sticking with Suddenlink just because the bill is $10 cheaper-----not when VUE would be half of the reduced price of Suddenlink and provides all the ESPN+ABC networks.

The French ownership can't afford to black out ESPN and ESPN knows it.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 10:16 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-01-2017 10:12 AM
johnbragg Offline

I Root For: St Johns
(10-01-2017 10:12 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 08:52 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Pure speculation--I have to wonder if Altice being a foreign conglomerate plays a role. French executives aren't going to feel anything about losing Monday Night Football or a baseball playoff game--they're going to have a slightly different perspective than American executives.

What you are not considering is how this is an incredibly dangerous gamble by Suddenlink. In an environment where cable customers are leaving cable providers in droves, Suddenlink is going to go dark on ESPN and ABC in the middle of the college and NFL football seasons? What will happen is droves of football fans will take the opportunity to leave Suddenlink and go to competitors like a Comcast, ATT, Direct Tv, Dish, or to one of the newer streaming options like VUE, HULUtv, or Sling. So Suddenlink could literally end up losing a quarter to half their subscriber base. No football fan is sticking with Suddenlink just because the bill is $10 cheaper-----not when VUE would be half of the reduced price of Suddenlink and provides all the ESPN+ABC networks.

They might fall ass-backwards into the strategy of being the lower-cost, lower-programming provider. Switch to Altice and get a free digital antenna, combined with the lowest rates on internet service with some cable TV thrown in. (When we tried to go internet-only with Time WArner, they gave us a package that threw in very-basic-cable--ESPN, CNN, no Comedy Central--for $5 less than Internet-plus-landline-no-cable would have been.)

Plenty of people do not care about sports, and aren't super particular about their TV.

Quote:The French ownership can't afford to black out ESPN and ESPN knows it.

The point is, I'm not certain that the head office in France knows it, in the same way that Comcast and AT&T know it.
10-01-2017 10:20 AM

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I use suddenlink for internet. But that's all. Sling tv is much cheaper and I can dump it after football season.
10-01-2017 10:45 AM
UNT15 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
attackcoog,
you point out the sports fans who will leave sudden link for competitors? but what about the folks who leave the competition for suddenlink when they can offer cheaper prices by not having the ESPN offerings?
10-01-2017 12:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(10-01-2017 10:20 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 10:12 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

They might fall ass-backwards into the strategy of being the lower-cost, lower-programming provider. Switch to Altice and get a free digital antenna, combined with the lowest rates on internet service with some cable TV thrown in. (When we tried to go internet-only with Time WArner, they gave us a package that threw in very-basic-cable--ESPN, CNN, no Comedy Central--for $5 less than Internet-plus-landline-no-cable would have been.)

Plenty of people do not care about sports, and aren't super particular about their TV.

Quote:The French ownership can't afford to black out ESPN and ESPN knows it.

The point is, I'm not certain that the head office in France knows it, in the same way that Comcast and AT&T know it.

They may not know that they cant dump ESPN. Its also true that plenty of cable subscribers dont care about sports. But I dont know a single cable company willing to lose 25% to 50% of its subscriber base. These days, whats left of cable subscribers tends to run to an older demographic that DOES like sports. Plus, a significant portion of that subscriber base probably watches some shows on ABC or other Disney networks. Trying to cut out ESPN/ABC while everyone else is carrying the networks (inclusding streaming options that are less than half the price of your service) is a losing strategy. I mean--you can be the low price cable provider---but why would that be an attractive niche when price sensitive consumers are the most likely to cut the cord and move to cheaper streaming options? Suddenlink is going to be a huge loser if they try to push this for very long. They just dont have much leverage.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 12:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-01-2017 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.