Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well...Why so little number of streamers watching sports?
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Well...Why so little number of streamers watching sports?
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-...v-ratings/

With about 4 million or so people streaming TV via Sling, PSVUE,....etc. there should be a significant number of viewers watching ESPN but that apparently is not the case. From the link above notice the ESPN games for example.

Last week Miss St vs Georgia Cable/Sat viewers was 2.798 million. Adding the people that stream the game it bumps to 2.897 million viewers. Only 99,000 watched the game via stream.

Others are Texas A&M/Arkansas 97,000 viewers via stream.
TCU/Ok St 95,000 viewers. Boise St/Virginia 36,000 viewers.

It appears that the vast 97% customer who steam TV don't watch sports or at least ESPN. Granted we don't have stream stats for FS1 and etc.
09-30-2017 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billings Online
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
RE: Well...Why so little number of streamers watching sports?
(09-30-2017 05:38 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-...v-ratings/

With about 4 million or so people streaming TV via Sling, PSVUE,....etc. there should be a significant number of viewers watching ESPN but that apparently is not the case. From the link above notice the ESPN games for example.

Last week Miss St vs Georgia Cable/Sat viewers was 2.798 million. Adding the people that stream the game it bumps to 2.897 million viewers. Only 99,000 watched the game via stream.

It appears that the vast 97% customer who steam TV don't watch sports or at least ESPN. Granted we don't have stream stats for FS1 and etc.

Oh Come on now. You know all the people cutting the cord will still watch sports and everything is fine in college sorts land $$. They will just be watching on a different platform ya know so there is no bubble. geez (sarcasm).

Small sample size and early in the season but certainly worth following. Nice site
09-30-2017 06:22 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Maybe the cord cutters are the ones who do not like watching sports? Usually people who keeps cable are the ones who could afford the high prices of the sports channels on cable and other venues. Those sports Networks wind up dropping channels off the lineup for non-sports fans who would Stream tv shows and movies online instead. There are millions of people who Stream tv shows and movies right now. There were close to 0 million viewers who watched new episodes of All My Children and One Life To Live on Hulu. That was like close to 10 million more than from tv around 900,000, and about 8 million more for One Life To Live.
09-30-2017 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2017 06:22 PM)billings Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 05:38 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-...v-ratings/

Oh Come on now. You know all the people cutting the cord will still watch sports and everything is fine in college sorts land $$. They will just be watching on a different platform ya know so there is no bubble. geez (sarcasm).

Small sample size and early in the season but certainly worth following. Nice site
Yes...roughly 100k cord cutters are watching ESPN via stream.....the rest are watching OTA TV.

Just saying now that streaming stats are included where available, it isnt as much as I thought. Especially with approximately 4 million customers between the OTT companies.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 06:37 PM by MWC Tex.)
09-30-2017 06:36 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
At 4 Million customers, 100,000 would represent a 2.5 share. Not earth shattering, but not bad either.
09-30-2017 06:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Well...ESPN is in about 90 million homes and only about 2.8 million viewers watched it. So, only about 3% of cable subscriptions watched the game. Using that same number, 3% of 4 million is 120K. So, the viewership on streaming outlets was only slightly less than cable.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 07:23 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-30-2017 07:21 PM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this streaming number represents those who watch via the ESPN app & not the app of their service(Sling TV etc) which you have the choice of doing & it doesn't matter as long as they pay for ESPN
09-30-2017 07:24 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2017 07:24 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this streaming number represents those who watch via the ESPN app & not the app of their service(Sling TV etc) which you have the choice of doing & it doesn't matter as long as they pay for ESPN

My understanding is includes Sling and the others.
09-30-2017 08:18 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(09-30-2017 08:18 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 07:24 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this streaming number represents those who watch via the ESPN app & not the app of their service(Sling TV etc) which you have the choice of doing & it doesn't matter as long as they pay for ESPN

My understanding is includes Sling and the others.

Then FS1 numbers would show, these are all ESPN games only reporting steaming numbers & include ABC broadcast. That leads me to believe these are ESPN only numbers
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 08:36 PM by mj4life.)
09-30-2017 08:34 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I don't know about the others but Sling is a horrible service. If I had the option to watch broadcast or stream I would choose broadcast. Streaming won't take off until broadcast options shrink.

I read an article where a FOX sports exec state that subscribers were down but viewership was up. That means their ad revenue goes up. He did not elaborate if the ad revenue offset the subscriber revenue losses.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 09:00 PM by Wolfman.)
09-30-2017 08:58 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(09-30-2017 08:58 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I don't know about the others but Sling is a horrible service. If I had the option to watch broadcast or stream I would choose broadcast. Streaming won't take off until broadcast options shrink.

I read an article where a FOX sports exec state that subscribers were down but viewership was up. That means their ad revenue goes up. He did not elaborate if the ad revenue offset the subscriber revenue losses.

I have Sling and have no problems with it.
10-01-2017 09:45 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
A lot of us got out of the habit of watching. I watch 0 pro sports, and I don't do the sling type thing. So unless it is on over the air I don't watch. I listen often on radio.
10-01-2017 10:12 AM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
I only go to the streaming service if there isn't a game I can find on my cable channels. For BYU that includes when they play @ a MWC school and the game is on CBS Sports Network that isn't part of my cable package I stream it on Hulu TV or Sling. I do get buffering issues from time to time during the game so don't like to stream if I don't have to. I pay Comcast for plenty of speed--but it seems to come and go. No other high speed internet options in my location make it tough. But the cable channels come through just fine.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 10:42 AM by f1do.)
10-01-2017 10:41 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
As of right now it's still a lot easier to cut the cord if you don't care about sports. I have to believe a highly disproportionate number of streamers are people who wouldn't have been watching games if they still had cable.
10-01-2017 12:35 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If you have access to ESPN on your normal service, the only reasons to stream
1. Away from home.
2. At home watching another game while following one on stream
3. At home watching on stream while the family watches something else.

Unless there has been a change, no one has access to ESPN or ESPN2 without a subscription to cable, satellite, or IP delivery via a bundler and watching ESPN on Vue is NOT streaming in ESPN's calculations, they are looking at who connects to their servers, they do not know (unless contract provides for it) how many are watching the ESPN "channel" via Vue or Sling.
10-02-2017 10:00 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(09-30-2017 08:58 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I don't know about the others but Sling is a horrible service. If I had the option to watch broadcast or stream I would choose broadcast. Streaming won't take off until broadcast options shrink.

I downloaded the Pluto-TV app so I can watch the Big Sky Conference games. It's OK at best. Not in hi-def, picture gets a little funky at times (and NO, it's not my internet connection), but at least I get the games. "Just OK" just doesn't cut it for me when I'm watching a big game on Saturday.

I never understood the thinking that people will just "stream" the games. Sure there's some who will purchase apps thru their smart TV or something like Amazon Fire, but who the hell would want to watch a football game on a freeking I-Phone or a tablet?

There's something to be said about watching a game on a big screen in hi-def with a proper sound system.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 10:55 AM by BadgerMJ.)
10-02-2017 10:54 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

My guess is that they are not counting viewers of Sling and other skinny bundle services, only those watching on the WatchESPN app.
10-02-2017 11:11 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
well the actual ESPN stream sucks worse than about any other stream out there so there is that issue

plus the issue that many people are not set up to stream more than one game at a time Vs people that have multiple TVs and cable boxes

this gets back to the ability of companies to continue to create and pay for content that competes with the content they already own.....it is a poor investment
10-02-2017 11:57 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-02-2017 10:00 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  If you have access to ESPN on your normal service, the only reasons to stream
1. Away from home.
2. At home watching another game while following one on stream
3. At home watching on stream while the family watches something else.

Unless there has been a change, no one has access to ESPN or ESPN2 without a subscription to cable, satellite, or IP delivery via a bundler and watching ESPN on Vue is NOT streaming in ESPN's calculations, they are looking at who connects to their servers, they do not know (unless contract provides for it) how many are watching the ESPN "channel" via Vue or Sling.

I had a feeling this was the case. I do not have cable or satellite. So every time I watch ESPN is streaming. I suspected that the reporting has not caught up to the technology and may not for a bit.
10-02-2017 01:06 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(10-02-2017 11:57 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  well the actual ESPN stream sucks worse than about any other stream out there so there is that issue

plus the issue that many people are not set up to stream more than one game at a time Vs people that have multiple TVs and cable boxes

this gets back to the ability of companies to continue to create and pay for content that competes with the content they already own.....it is a poor investment

I've very rarely had an issue with it. And that's with a fairly typical internet speed (up to 50mbps, NEVER actually 50, more like 20 or 25) and multiple devices running.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 01:44 PM by Hood-rich.)
10-02-2017 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.