Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scelfo gains two-year extension
BigBigCat
Unregistered

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Scelfo's contract extended two years</span>

Deal now extends to 2009 season

Friday, December 24, 2004

By Fred Robinson
Staff writer

After coaching a team that showed steady improvement as the season went along, Tulane football coach Chris Scelfo is being rewarded.

Scelfo, the Green Wave's coach the past six seasons, has agreed to a two-year contract extension that could keep him at Tulane through the 2009 season.

"I'm excited about the direction of our program," Scelfo said. "We're looking forward to continuing to build on what we have and the road we've chosen to take."

The addition of two years is the only change to the contract, according to Green Wave athletic director Rick Dickson. The five-year deal, sources say, is estimated to be worth more than $2 million.

Despite back-to-back losing seasons, Dickson said he felt the program is moving in the right direction.

"I think we're right on schedule with what our goals and objectives are for where the program is," Dickson said. "We're experiencing some success in a number of facets of the program."

<a href='http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-15/110387144498400.xml' target='_blank'>TIMES-PICAYUNE: Scelfo extended two years</a>
12-24-2004 12:38 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FW_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

We should be very good next season
12-24-2004 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

I Root For: Tulane/Saints

New Orleans Bowl

An excerpt from the espn article:

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1953089' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1953089</a>

"I'm excited about the direction of this program and I'm very appreciative of Rick Dickson showing confidence in our plan for success," Scelfo said in a statement. "Consistency and progress go hand-in-hand and this is another sign of consistency for our football program. Tulane stands for everything I believe in and I'm excited to be the head coach here."

Scelfo's 2004 Tulane team entered the season with only 10 seniors and a new starting quarterback while starting a pair of true freshmen on the defensive line. After opening the year 1-4, Tulane won four of its last six games, including victories over bowl-bound UAB and Navy and a road win at TCU.

As students, Tulane's football players posted an 81 percent graduation rate in the 2004 NCAA Graduation Rates Report, ranking seventh nationally.

"Our goal is to put the football program in position to achieve consistent success in all phases -- in the classroom, in the community and on the field," Dickson said. "I'm pleased with the position we are in now, and I firmly believe we are entering into an era where we will experience consistent success in all of those facets."
12-25-2004 01:11 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

WOW.... Tulane a year ago was about to drop football alll together or go to D2...now its a love fest w/ contract extensions.
12-25-2004 04:45 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

That's right. It's a whole new day at Tulane.
12-25-2004 06:24 PM
ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:That's right. It's a whole new day at Tulane.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
12-25-2004 06:34 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Tulane is a roller coaster ride. In 98 they went undefeated, in 2002 they considered dropping football all together in D1, now they're handing out extentsions.

God knows what will be going on in Tulane 2 years from now.
12-25-2004 06:40 PM
ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Tulane is a roller coaster ride. In 98 they went undefeated, in 2002 they considered dropping football all together in D1, now they're handing out extentsions.

Quote:God knows what will be going on in Tulane 2 years from now.

Maybe the death penalty again?
12-25-2004 06:46 PM
tufinal4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Knight Light, who gives a sh$t what you think will be going on at Tulane two years from now. One thing's for sure, it will be light years ahead of UCF. Welcome to the conference, d$ckhead.
12-25-2004 10:09 PM
ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

tufinal4 Wrote:Welcome to the conference, d$ckhead.
....and Merry Christmas!
12-25-2004 10:39 PM
tufinal4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

And Merry Christmas to you and your family. May the peace of Christ be with all of you, even the Big East.

Sorry, but the guy deserved it. The utter nerve of some new team's fan, not even in the conference yet, musing about what's going on at my alma mater. Let's see, his school has been offered a chance to go from oblivion to annual revenue sharing of $1 million plus per year, an ESPN contract for football and basketball, a chance to be in a conference that, under the new BCS guidelines, would have placed 4 team in BCS bowls dating back to 1998. He really ought to be more appreciative and mind his manners for awhile, maybe prove that they can compete for a few years before he has the nerve to stand up and "wonder" about Tulane or any other charter member of this conference that was nice enough to approve UCF's invitation.
12-25-2004 10:51 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

tufinal4 Wrote:Knight Light, who gives a sh$t what you think will be going on at Tulane two years from now. One thing's for sure, it will be light years ahead of UCF. Welcome to the conference, d$ckhead.

Ah, tufinal4, please direct your immature name-calling to the proper fan.

Glad at least I was on your mind.

05-hide

KL
12-26-2004 08:15 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

ULCARDINALS Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Tulane is a roller coaster ride.&nbsp; In 98 they went undefeated, in 2002 they considered dropping football all together in D1, now they're handing out extentsions.

Uh, you are aware that Tulane has never received the death penalty?
12-26-2004 12:06 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Tulane is a roller coaster ride. In 98 they went undefeated, in 2002 they considered dropping football all together in D1, now they're handing out extentsions.

Not only God, but anyone capable of reading comprenhension is aware. The Board of Directors gave the athletic department certain goals to meet in order to maintain the program. The goals have been exceeded. Scelfo's contract extention is a signal to all that the program is healthy and will stay. It may also interest you to know that commitments have been gathered to build a new, or nenovate an old (Tad Gormley) stadium.

I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time writing this, since you lack reading skills.
12-26-2004 12:12 PM
ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:
ULCARDINALS Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Tulane is a roller coaster ride.&nbsp; In 98 they went undefeated, in 2002 they considered dropping football all together in D1, now they're handing out extentsions.

Close to it.
12-26-2004 12:16 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

Uh, you are aware that Tulane has never received the death penalty? [/QUOTE]
Close to it. [/quote]
I'm glad to hear that you are close to being aware.
12-26-2004 12:39 PM
Advertisement

ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Observer Wrote:
ULCARDINALS,Dec 26 2004, 12:22 PM Wrote:
Close to it. [/QUOTE]
I'm glad to hear that you are close to being aware. [/quote]
I'm glad your program was corrupt, but not quite corrupt enough, not to the level of C-USA partner SMU. A 5 year suspension for a point shaving scandal is as close to the death penalty as you can get.
12-26-2004 12:51 PM
long green Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

ULCARDINALS,Dec 26 2004, 12:57 PM Wrote:
Observer,Dec 26 2004, 12:45 PM Wrote:
ULCARDINALS,Dec 26 2004, 12:22 PM Wrote:
Close to it.
I'm glad to hear that you are close to being aware. [/QUOTE]
I'm glad your program was corrupt, but not quite corrupt enough, not to the level of C-USA partner SMU. A 5 year suspension for a point shaving scandal is as close to the death penalty as you can get.[/QUOTE]

What Tulane did with its hoops program was way more than the NCAA could have meted out (Tulane, not being a repeat violator in anything, could not have been hit with the DP).
I think, in hindsight, that Tulane benefited from dropping the program. If we had labored on under the clouds of the point-shaving scandal I don't think we would have ever seen the brighter days that came so soon after the program was resurrected and which have proven to us that we can do great things no matter the obstacle.
This is doubly important now that Tulane hoops has drifted downward into the lowest point of its competitive history.
12-26-2004 01:05 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

ULCARDINALS Wrote:I'm glad your program was corrupt, but not quite corrupt enough, not to the level of C-USA partner SMU. A 5 year suspension for a point shaving scandal is as close to the death penalty as you can get.
Sorry, wrong again. Tulane's program was not suspended. They weren't penalized in any manner by the NCAA. Tulane did their own investigation and learned that a certain group of players had gotten involved with a local crime figure and received payoffs for shaving points. Tulane took immediate action and shut the program down. The illegal actions of a few, outside of the knowledge of any Tulane official, did serious injury to many innocent bystanders, including but not limited to Coach Ned Fowler.

Too bad Louisville does not have the same level of moral values to take similar actions whenever they find an infestation of immoral student athletes.
12-26-2004 07:08 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Observer Wrote:
ULCARDINALS Wrote:I'm glad your program was corrupt, but not quite corrupt enough, not to the level of C-USA partner SMU.&nbsp; A 5 year suspension for a point shaving scandal is as close to the death penalty as you can get.
Too bad Louisville does not have the same level of moral values to take similar actions whenever they find an infestation of immoral student athletes.
Huh? UofL has never had anything close to the level of point shaving.

Of course we have had players get in trouble off the field for things like getting caught with pot, etc, just like pretty much every other school (Including Tulane), but I doubt any are clear enough they can throw stones at UofL.
12-26-2004 09:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.