Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to fix the college hoops and NCAA overnight
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
How to fix the college hoops and NCAA overnight
And maybe the rest of NCAA...

1) Reinstate the freshman rule, not being elegible first year for Varsity.

2) Don't allow AAU teams to be sponsored by apparel/shoe companies. Any player coming from one of this teams in inelegible.

3) Take away conference incentives. Everybody should be able to succeed on their own merit. This one is a little trickier, and I admit to not knowing a lot about this particular issue. I'm just saying it sucks how much he advantaged schools like Rutgers and UL have over us for doing absolutely nothing. This is more football than basketball.

09-28-2017 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: How to fix the college hoops and NCAA overnight
1) Have the NBA strike down the one-year of college ball rule. Amateur athletes will be able to participate in NBA Europe or D-Leagues and will be free to be compensated without muddling up college ball. Student-athletes should be students first, not amateurs.

09-28-2017 03:53 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2017 03:53 PM)crex043 Wrote:  1) Have the NBA strike down the one-year of college ball rule. Amateur athletes will be able to participate in NBA Europe or D-Leagues and will be free to be compensated without muddling up college ball. Student-athletes should be students first, not amateurs.

I agree this would help, but the NCAA has no control over this and the NBA would only do this if they thought it was beneficial to them.

09-28-2017 04:13 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
CliftonAve has an excellent suggestion also. That being very harsh penalties. If you make it hurt enough it will stop a lot of this. The risk is not worth the reward.

09-28-2017 04:24 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2017 04:24 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  CliftonAve has an excellent suggestion also. That being very harsh penalties. If you make it hurt enough it will stop a lot of this. The risk is not worth the reward.

The problem is nobody trusts the NCAA to enforce these rules to the UK and Dukes of the world

09-28-2017 04:42 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-28-2017 04:42 PM)jarr Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 04:24 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  CliftonAve has an excellent suggestion also. That being very harsh penalties. If you make it hurt enough it will stop a lot of this. The risk is not worth the reward.

The problem is nobody trusts the NCAA to enforce these rules to the UK and Dukes of the world

Lets see what happens with the FBI investigation.

09-28-2017 04:51 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
if nothing is really done to any of these schools then the answer is obvious: just cheat. It actually does pay.

09-28-2017 11:31 PM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
Well...you could try...

Banning ALL athletic scholarships..then you truly would only have STUDENT-athletes.

Notice you NEVER hear about recruiting scandals from the IVY's.

But then you'd really have to admit that it's about the academic future of the kids, and not their ability to entertain alumni. This would make college sports truly a hobby, and not a revenue generator.

09-29-2017 12:21 AM
digibrink Offline
2nd String

(09-28-2017 11:31 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  if nothing is really done to any of these schools then the answer is obvious: just cheat. It actually does pay.

This has always been the case in college sports. I'd love for that to change but I'm not holding my breath.

09-29-2017 01:00 AM
glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

I Root For: air joiner
Just make it a free market and let the boosters and corporate sponsors pay the players as they see fit. No contracts are allowed to be signed until the player is 18 yo or has graduated HS.

09-29-2017 06:56 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I still think they should go the baseball route and allow players to enter the draft right out of high schools OR go to college, but the students who choose college would not be eligible for another draft until after their sophomore years. Best of both worlds, and if the NBA starts utilizing the G-League and two-way contracts it would be a great solution to the squad size issues.

09-29-2017 07:59 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
The ONLY way to fix the issue is to pay the players according to talent. A free market. Whenever there is demand for a product, an athlete's talent in this case, and a governing body outlaws it or in this case won't allow for fair market compensation there will always be a black market. The NCAA knowingly creates this black market to protect the fairytale of "amateur" athletics. If people would just stop pretending to care whether or not these kids are paid there wouldn't be an issue.

09-29-2017 08:25 AM
applegbt Offline
Bench Warmer

When I think back and compare what's going on today with UC's "infractions" in the late 90's I just have to laugh.

09-29-2017 08:28 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

You still need to regulate college sports. I think the NCAA does need to shift to a player friendly model that allows players to make money on their likeness. Youtube page, team gear with likeness or name, video game with their likeness, and few other things should be allowed with strict regulation. Want an athlete to appear in commercial that is ok as long as it meets certain standards and the compensation does not exceed a certain limit.

Those paying the student can not be a booster or someone that has direct interest in the outcome of the sporting event. I actually would prefer that each athlete is paid a fixed amount for use of their name and likeness on promotional material and apparel with schools logo on it. Give the athlete some money but stay away from free agency and the free market free for all. Side income based on things a like Youtube channel or social media account will be allowed as long the account is meets certain guidelines.

09-29-2017 08:38 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(09-29-2017 08:38 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  You still need to regulate college sports. I think the NCAA does need to shift to a player friendly model that allows players to make money on their likeness. Youtube page, team gear with likeness or name, video game with their likeness, and few other things should be allowed with strict regulation. Want an athlete to appear in commercial that is ok as long as it meets certain standards and the compensation does not exceed a certain limit.

Those paying the student can not be a booster or someone that has direct interest in the outcome of the sporting event. I actually would prefer that each athlete is paid a fixed amount for use of their name and likeness on promotional material and apparel with schools logo on it. Give the athlete some money but stay away from free agency and the free market free for all. Side income based on things a like Youtube channel or social media account will be allowed as long the account is meets certain guidelines.

Completely agree with all of this...it's incredibly unfair that every other student in the US can do that (and many do) but these student athletes cannot. I think the best case of this is the UCF kicker who is a video game streamer...that double standard is just ridiculous.

09-29-2017 08:53 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I think if these schools get off easy then the answer to all of this is simple: cheat with reckless abandon

09-29-2017 08:53 AM
Advertisement

glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

I Root For: air joiner
There is no good reason to enforce a period of financial vulnerability onto young men that will be millionaires in a few months, other than to exploit them during that time frame. Just let them get paid for their talents, but make them go to class also, so we can hold on to some bit of this absurdity going forward. The NCAA can still exist to regulate how many text messages and phone calls occur, and to look the other way when UK tampers with a kid under contract/scholarship at UC that turns out to be really good.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2017 09:27 AM by glacier_dropsy.)
09-29-2017 09:26 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not seeing paying the players as a good fix. It may sound good on paper, but the slimeyness will just increase 10x, unless they literally just want to make it a freaking profess iona league that happens to have each team sponsorwd by the schools and they offers classes to the players. You can't do this half-a $$ version of it and think that will level out the field. Just get rid of the incentives for the dirty, crooked AAU coaches, handlers, and players to get involved. Will the top tier talent drop off, yes. But that is fine, the only reason we have it now is because of the shadey, slimey guys behind the scenes.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2017 10:07 AM by jarr.)
09-29-2017 10:06 AM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Let kids go pro after HS; most have neither the desire nor aptitude for collegiate-level academic work. There is no justification for not allowing these young people a chance to profit from their marketable skills, but they should be profiting in a professional sports league, not a university. Expand the D-league. Make it a baseball-like system. Then do the same for football.

09-29-2017 11:01 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2017 11:01 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Let kids go pro after HS; most have neither the desire nor aptitude for collegiate-level academic work. There is no justification for not allowing these young people a chance to profit from their marketable skills, but they should be profiting in a professional sports league, not a university. Expand the D-league. Make it a baseball-like system. Then do the same for football.

Who's stopping them? There is no law that says they can't go and make money.

09-29-2017 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.