Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey 10MAN
Bookmark and Share
WizardRebel Offline
All American

I Root For: Ole Miss

Dude, I was just on the way home from seeing my girlfriend in Pearl, and I drove past the airport only to see emergency vehicles all over the tarmac and a plane just sitting there. What the frick is going on over there?!?!?

WR
07-10-2003 10:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Yeah, I just left there a few minutes ago. A Delta plane was taxiing to or from the gate and umm, got stuck in the mud. That's right, got stuck in the mud. Apparently, he couldn't see the extremely well-lit taxi-ways. 03-lol

Everyone was fine, last I heard, but a lot of inconvenience for those Delta passengers. We loaned them some of our equipment they needed to help. Gonna be a long night for them, though.

The funny thing to your post here is, Wiz, that me and some guys at work were watching the rescue effort thinking about the people driving down Airport Rd(the road you mentioned you were on), and that they were probably thinking that there had been a bad accident or something..... 03-lol Nope, just pilot error.

Those pilots have some 'splainin to do!!! 03-lol
07-10-2003 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

That's wild! Would you believe DL did the same thing when I worked there, around the mid-80s? One night they had a stretch DC8, 200 capacity, on a run ATL-BHM-JAN-SHV-DFW, which taxiied one main gear into the mud along the west taxiway, and got stuck.

But the embarrassing thing for DL was, imo, the fact that the large plane had onboard 7 crew and only 6 passengers!!

Then one night AA made a short final to Bruce Campbell Airport in Ridgeland, which as you know, is on the same axis as Thompson Field. The 727 pulled back up at the last minute and continued on.
07-11-2003 12:14 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

LRRebel Wrote:DC8
Funny how history repeats itself, eh? DC8, and the same exact scenario that you mentioned....one of the mains stuck! Wonder if it was the same pilots, too? 03-lol

Not sure how many pax, tho! 03-confused
07-11-2003 12:31 AM
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Were you ever around one of those Super DC8s? DL and UA pushed them around until well into the 80s. Those bad boys were long! When you went onboard and looked down the aisle, it looked like a quarter mile back to the back! It was unreal. DL retrofitted them with GE CFM6 engines, dressed them up a bit. Which always made me wonder, why they invested hellified jack in first generation jets so late... And to top it off - DL ran those 'milk run' routes well into the 90s, even using a longrange aircraft such as DC8s, and later, 757s! When I first came to JAN, they were operating a flight (I believe a 727) like this: CHS-ATL-BHM-MEI-JAN-MLU-SHV-DFW!! May have been a DC9 now that I think about it. Also they had a ORD-STL-MEM-JAN-MSY milk run which of course criss-crossed their east-west run at JAN. Thus JAN has (or had) the sign on the tower saying "Crossroads of the South". Which it truly was, in terms of the DL route system.

Remind me to tell you about the time in the 60s (before my time) DL landed a jet at freaking Hawkins Field!!!
07-11-2003 12:55 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Bro, it's changed a ton since you left...a ton. Some having to do with 9/11 and some just bad airport mgmt, if you can imagine that. 03-lol

DL has completely downsized its service there, well here. I don't know exactly how much and to what extent, but I heard it is considerable. I know they used to run jets outta here, but not anymore.
NW only runs MD80s now out of JAN, that's it, nothing else. Of course, the only route NW has outta JAN is JAN-MEM, so that's no big deal I guess, but talking to their employess it is.
And I'm not sure what AE was doing when you were here, but they only run RJ700s to and from DFW, and I think the occasional Embraer RJ, if I'm not mistaken. Those are sweet rides, I must say.

Also, that little plank or walkway that people could walk out on to plane-watch, overlooking the military base facing the north, is still there but not for public use since 9/11. So, I've never gotten to go out there because I only came here a year and a half ago, they won't even let employees out there anymore. We had a pilot ask us the other day if JAN used to be a prison because of that walkway...LOL! I told him, "In a way, I would consider this a prison"....LOL!

You mentioned that 727 route, which included the BHM-MEI leg.... :eek: Good Gawd, that had to be about a 5 minute flight, wheels up to wheels down, didn't it? 03-lol Took more time to board that flight than fly it. 03-lol

Anyway, yes, I look forward to hearing more about this!!
07-11-2003 01:32 AM
Advertisement

calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Since I take it someone works around the airports here, lol... I say some airline needs to create an SEC package or something during the fall, where just for football season, an airline can issue flights from one SEC city to another (or the closest airport to it).

Just a thought anyways, mostly b/c I'd love to fly out of Fayetteville (XNA) for some of these road games. However, XNA only flies to NY- LGA, Newark, Chicago - ORD, Dallas - DFW, Charlotte, Cincinnati/North KY, Memphis, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Atlanta..non-stop to LAX begins in August. All of those flights are AE, or Delta Connection, Continental Express, etc. except for the 4 O'Hare flights which American Airlines (not American Eagle) flies. From those..looks like the only SEC flight is Cincinnati for the UK game, and that's a DL Connection flight, which sucks.

Maybe Delta (since they're out of ATL) could come up with something...who knows.

WPS
07-11-2003 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miss. State

fortunately since I used to travel about 90 percent of the time for my company I have a firm grasp on the airport codes you guys are using, otherwise this would be like us computer folks talking. :D 03-lol
07-11-2003 11:00 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

calling_the_hogs Wrote:Since I take it someone works around the airports here, lol... I say some airline needs to create an SEC package or something during the fall, where just for football season, an airline can issue flights from one SEC city to another (or the closest airport to it).

Just a thought anyways, mostly b/c I'd love to fly out of Fayetteville (XNA) for some of these road games. However, XNA only flies to NY- LGA, Newark, Chicago - ORD, Dallas - DFW, Charlotte, Cincinnati/North KY, Memphis, Houston, and Atlanta..non-stop to LAX begins in August. All of those flights are AE, or Delta Connection, Continental Express, etc. except for the 4 O'Hare flights which American Airlines (not American Eagle) flies. From those..looks like the only SEC flight is Cincinnati for the UK game, and that's a DL Connection flight, which sucks.

Maybe Delta (since they're out of ATL) could come up with something...who knows.

WPS
Delta would most likely be the best choice for your SEC package deal, and that is a good idea by the way. My airline, however, only services 1 of the 12 SEC towns.....just 1. Your post made me think about it and we only service Nashville, or Vandy, and only service cities relatively close to Bama and LSU.

Being that most of the SEC schools are in fairly small college towns, almost any airline that did that, you would have to drive a little ways to most any game, but at least they could get you close.

Now the NFL, my airline could hook you up there, we are an NFL sponsor, which has been very, very good to me in the past for traveling to many NFL games. 03-wink
07-11-2003 11:03 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

msudawgs64 Wrote:fortunately since I used to travel about 90 percent of the time for my company I have a firm grasp on the airport codes you guys are using, otherwise this would be like us computer folks talking. :D 03-lol
So, you understood my comment about the 5 minute flight from BHM-MEI? 03-lol It's true.
07-11-2003 11:04 AM
msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

10Man, I take it you work for Southwest.. Man I love that airline but they have one BIG problem here in Texas, that damn Wright Amendment, which needs to be repealed. Basically if I want to fly most anywhere out of Texas on them, I have to go to Houston first. That was American Airlines doing but it has outlived it usefullness, if there actually ever was one.
07-11-2003 11:07 AM
Advertisement

msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

10MAN Wrote:
msudawgs64 Wrote:fortunately since I used to travel about 90 percent of the time for my company I have a firm grasp on the airport codes you guys are using, otherwise this would be like us computer folks talking.  :D  03-lol
So, you understood my comment about the 5 minute flight from BHM-MEI? 03-lol It's true.
oh yeah, I have been on some of those flights, ladies and gentlemen our cruising altitude is 400 feet and we will be doing some crop dusting on our approach. 03-lol
07-11-2003 11:08 AM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

You're right..most don't...at least just to the city close by the campus could help. I know ATL to Athens isn't too far... though we don't play UGA this year.

I also kind of think it's funny. Here I am in Fayetteville...we have non-stop service to 2 airports in New York, 4 flights on American to O'Hare, an upcoming nonstop to Los Angeles, yet we have only 3 flights to southern cities (Charlotte, Atlanta, and Memphis). I hope that'll change soon.

WPS

And 10MAN, if you work for Southwest...get em over here!!! Southwest won't come into XNA just yet, they're still thinking it's too close to TUL. I hate that, cause I like SW, especially with the fact that you pick your seat on a first come first serve basis.
07-11-2003 11:08 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

msudawgs64 Wrote:10Man, I take it you work for Southwest..  Man I love that airline but they have one BIG problem here in Texas, that damn Wright Amendment, which needs to be repealed.  Basically if I want to fly most anywhere out of Texas on them, I have to go to Houston first.  That was American Airlines doing but it has outlived it usefullness, if there actually ever was one.
Yes, the Wright Amd., which I know you know is not a DFW thing, but a Love Field thing. Personally, I feel like that should be lifted, too, but it has proved to work to our benefit, at least that's what the company says. :rolleyes:

You're right about that flying out of TX and having to go thru HOU, unless you are going to a bordering state of TX. It's a pain in the butt when I have to go to DAL, which I have to a lot. I can never get there on a non-stop, always either thru HOU or MSY, which sux! But, after years of doing it, you just get used to it.

I don't know if you heard this or not, but if we have to, on a few occasions, Herb(the former CEO) has said screw the Wright Amd, and just avoided it. 03-lol Only on a very few select occasions, tho. You gotta love that guy! He'd just as soon pay the fine as to obey the law, if it benefits us. 03-lol
07-11-2003 11:15 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

calling_the_hogs Wrote:And 10MAN, if you work for Southwest...get em over here!!! Southwest won't come into XNA just yet, they're still thinking it's too close to TUL. I hate that, cause I like SW, especially with the fact that you pick your seat on a first come first serve basis.
I forgot how close TUL was to Fayetteville, which is probably why we haven't gone there. I wish we would, though, because I would've been to some Ole Miss-Arkansas games by now, many of them. As it stands now, I still haven't been up there to see y'alls beautiful stadium yet. I'm hoping that'll change in the '04 season. I was gonna come up there this past season, but I'm kinda glad I didn't. 03-lol
07-11-2003 11:20 AM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

msudawgs64 Wrote:oh yeah, I have been on some of those flights, ladies and gentlemen our cruising altitude is 400 feet and we will be doing some crop dusting on our approach. 03-lol
:lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:
07-11-2003 11:20 AM
Advertisement

LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yeah, the SEC-tie in would be a good thing for a carrier (would about have to be DL) to do in football season. Until the current operating environment improves, on the cost side, I doubt we'll see it real soon.

TUL and even MCI resisted XNA's creation from the git-go. XNA obviously draws from both their markets. AA did commit resources to XNA, though, even tho TUL is only 90 miles away.

The Wright Amendment needed to go a long time ago. Rep. Jim Wright was in AA's pocket, being their hometown congressman. That crooked b*st*rd went down in flames, as should that law.

The LR airport is strangely skewed to a westbound service pattern. The service eastbound is minimal, and fares are higher-dollar. So why doesn't a carrier here increase the eastward possibilities? Seems a no-brainer to me. The fares west are low and full-service carriers can't compete with SW (WN to you and me, 10 03-lol ) except with undersized regional jets or props. Everybody here gripes about riding on small planes out of here, but are first in line for junk fares, such as 'net fares. What has always killed me, is the other carriers could fill up those 30-to-70 seat planes with higher fares, if they just would nut up and do it, and offer only a few cheap seats. Then they would make money here and perhaps expand south and eastward service. You have to go to MEM to get favorable east/south fares. It's a strange situation here, one I've never quite 'gotten.' LR lost control of its air service pattern, sometime back. The airport is woefully inadequate for the 1.3 million we cram thru here per year. We carry half of MEM's passengers, too. The whole operation here is frankly, bizarre.

And did you all know that Fred Smith, founder of FedEx, is a LR boy, and wanted to start up his freight carrier here, but the idiot politicians that run this airport wouldn't build him an additional apron, or ramp space. He gathered up his marbles, went to MEM, who welcomed him. The rest is history. Very, very typical of the way this airport, and city, are run.
07-11-2003 12:56 PM
WizardRebel Offline
All American

Well, back to the original thought for a sec, one would think that an MD-88, which is the aircraft Delta uses on flight 894 to Atlanta at 6:25pm (I've flown that one once or twice), with two engines that can drop a million pounds of thrust, could get out of friggin mud!! 03-lol When I saw all of the goings on at the airport last night, I didn't know what to think.

I like the SEC package idea. Delta would be ideal since they're based in Hotlanta.

Go muddin'!!!! Fly Delta!!!

WR
07-11-2003 01:13 PM
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

03-lol

DL had one or two other taxi into mud incidents in the 8 years I was there. Also once, we were working a military charter, a PanAm L-1011 TriStar, and it rolled a main gear assembly off into the soft verge. Had to be powered out, then inspected for strut damage. Seems like a C130 or two ended up in the muck as well. Not sure why that happened there so much; it's a well-laid out airport, pilots dream, good taxiways and runways.

It's more something I would expect over here..
07-11-2003 01:26 PM
WizardRebel Offline
All American

Okay, so I was telling my dad about the plane stuck in the mud, and he informed me of this happening back home earlier in the week. Check it out.

WR

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/07/10/airport.near.miss/index.html' target='_blank'>dumb*** trucker</a>

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Two aircraft were diverted this week as they were about to land at Hartsfield International Airport -- one of the world's busiest airports -- when a stray cargo truck made an unauthorized crossing of the runway not once, but twice, FAA and air traffic control officials said Wednesday.

The incident took place just before 9 p.m. Monday when the cargo vehicle crossed the approach end of runway 26R at Hartsfield without approval. At the time, a commuter jet was on final approach, only a quarter of a mile from the end of the runway and 200 feet off the ground.

An air traffic controller, alerted by the Airport Movement Area Safety System (AMASS), had the pilot of the plane abort the landing and then had a second aircraft do the same when the cargo truck reversed direction and re-crossed the same runway.

"The controllers and system worked in harmony to keep a safe runway," FAA spokesman Christopher White said. "It shows the effort of the FAA to marry the abilities of the controllers with technology for the safety of the public."

While calling the incident an "aberration," Vince Polk, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association representative at Hartsfield, said "They need to take more steps to make sure this doesn't happen."

"We have a major international airport here with traffic problems," Polk said. "That shouldn't be happening."

White agreed. "Our first priority is to prevent these breaches from occurring at all," he said.

The AMASS became operational in April 2002 and helps controllers keep track of ground traffic around at the airport and gives an audible warning when unauthorized traffic is on a runway.

"If it hadn't been for AMASS I'm not sure it would have been caught," Polk said. "It was dusk and the truck didn't have its lights on."
07-11-2003 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.