Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Mid Report's article - Why the P6 matters.
USNA9t8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Navy
The Mid Report's article - Why the P6 matters.
This is the best piece I've read on the topic.

https://navy.rivals.com/news/understandi...or-power-6
09-26-2017 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: The Mid Report's article - Why the P6 matters.
Seems everyone can agree that Brett McTurdHat is a total idiot
09-26-2017 07:14 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
[quote='USNA9t8' pid='14621540' dateline='1506470600']
This is the best piece I've read on the topic.

/quote]

Thanks for the post, nice article.
09-26-2017 08:53 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
p6 is real
09-26-2017 08:54 PM
PlainTiger Offline
Never odd or even

I Root For: Memphis
Excellent read.
09-26-2017 09:12 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(09-26-2017 07:03 PM)USNA9t8 Wrote:  This is the best piece I've read on the topic.

Article 100% nailed it.. By far the best article of the AAC P6 I read.

Thanks for sharing, USNA9t8 04-cheers
09-26-2017 10:07 PM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
He had me me until Sun Bowl and El Paso.
09-26-2017 10:16 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Thanks, '98.
Should be a standardized response to all the G4 fans or McMurphy thinkers...but I would hate to be responsible for a flood of mouth breathers to Mike's site.
09-27-2017 06:40 AM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
great article. Brett is a idiot.
09-27-2017 07:07 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Good news article... Facts... Accurate... By a real reporter. Unlike that fired idiot BM...
09-27-2017 07:54 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The author is incorrect when he implies that the CFP arrangement is more favorable to "outsider" conference advancement than the old BCS. Truth is, in its final years, the BCS had something the CFP does not - a formal way for "outsider" conferences to join the club. The last iteration of the BCS (IIRC, from 2007 onwards) had a review process whereby if a conference achieved certain on-field performance metrics over a four-year period, it would become an "AQ" conference within the BCS framework. Its champ would then have the same guaranteed BCS/NY6 bowl slot as all the other AQ conferences.

In contrast, there is no such mechanism within the CFP. A conference can perform like gangbusters on the field and if it can't convince an NY6 bowl to sign it, then it is SOL and still on the outside looking in.

So the last iteration of the BCS actually did provide a path via performance on the field for outsiders to prove themselves and become AQ. The CFP has no such path, it can only done via marketing, by building your brand and convincing an NY6 to sign you.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 08:05 AM by quo vadis.)
09-27-2017 08:02 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Very good article. TV deal is next step, then bowls, Doubt we get liberty or Sun bowl. but who knows...
09-27-2017 08:02 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-27-2017 08:02 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Very good article. TV deal is next step, then bowls, Doubt we get liberty or Sun bowl. but who knows...

Lots to chew on in the article, a good thing. The author says that the ultimate goal of P6 is to make sure that if there is a formal P5/G5 split, with the P5 going off to form their own division within the NCAA, or creating something outside of the NCAA, that the AAC is too good to not be taken along with them. That is indeed something Aresco has talked about, but he hasn't talked about it much lately, because ... the moment where there was a fear that the P5 might try to just break off entirely has seemingly passed, it's now apparent that the P5 has no desire to do that, it was just sabre-rattling to get their autonomy rules passed, which they got passed. And there's no reason to think they are likely to do so in the future.

So IMO, the P6 campaign is about getting the AAC to be regarded as a "power" conference within the current NCAA/CFP framework, not be taken along for a ride that the P5 are unlikely to ever embark on.
09-27-2017 08:11 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(09-27-2017 08:11 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 08:02 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Very good article. TV deal is next step, then bowls, Doubt we get liberty or Sun bowl. but who knows...

Lots to chew on in the article, a good thing. The author says that the ultimate goal of P6 is to make sure that if there is a formal P5/G5 split, with the P5 going off to form their own division within the NCAA, or creating something outside of the NCAA, that the AAC is too good to not be taken along with them. That is indeed something Aresco has talked about, but he hasn't talked about it much lately, because ... the moment where there was a fear that the P5 might try to just break off entirely has seemingly passed, it's now apparent that the P5 has no desire to do that, it was just sabre-rattling to get their autonomy rules passed, which they got passed. And there's no reason to think they are likely to do so in the future.

So IMO, the P6 campaign is about getting the AAC to be regarded as a "power" conference within the current NCAA/CFP framework, not be taken along for a ride that the P5 are unlikely to ever embark on.

Yeah I mean the league needs to get back to the old big east days at a minimum where they don't maybe have an individual contract with a bowl but are effectively guaranteed a slot in them with the site rotating from year to year. So effectively it could be Peach, Cotton or Fiesta. I mean given the layout of the conference with the exception of the Fiesta it could work out very well for instance if Houston is the best team and can go to the cotton or UCF is the best team and can go to Peach the opportunity for fans to go is much higher. Not sure how likely this is really though. Guess we shall see but the league still just needs to keep investing and hiring the best coaches they can and perform on the field. The at the end of the day you can say you did ll you could and hopefully it is enough.
09-27-2017 09:17 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(09-27-2017 08:02 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The author is incorrect when he implies that the CFP arrangement is more favorable to "outsider" conference advancement than the old BCS. Truth is, in its final years, the BCS had something the CFP does not - a formal way for "outsider" conferences to join the club. The last iteration of the BCS (IIRC, from 2007 onwards) had a review process whereby if a conference achieved certain on-field performance metrics over a four-year period, it would become an "AQ" conference within the BCS framework. Its champ would then have the same guaranteed BCS/NY6 bowl slot as all the other AQ conferences.

In contrast, there is no such mechanism within the CFP. A conference can perform like gangbusters on the field and if it can't convince an NY6 bowl to sign it, then it is SOL and still on the outside looking in.

So the last iteration of the BCS actually did provide a path via performance on the field for outsiders to prove themselves and become AQ. The CFP has no such path, it can only done via marketing, by building your brand and convincing an NY6 to sign you.

It depends on how you define "better". Under the BCS there was in fact a set of objective on the field criteria that allowed a conference to "play thier way" into "automatic qualifier status". That said, it also required any non-AQ school to reach certain minimal ranking to participate in a BCS game. That was called being a "BCS buster".

Quite often no non-AQ performed to that level and many years there was no BCS participation by any non-AQ. The CFP GUARATEES G5 participation every year--with no preconditions. The best G5 champ plays in a CFP bowl---regardless of ranking. Effectively, the CFP collectively treats the G5 as a huge 6th "AQ" conference. That is an improvement.

I think the article probably has a somewhat valid point. If you look at the "long game" in terms of the P6 initiative, yes slow steady improvements over decades is possible. However, I don't expect this group of schools and many current fans to be around to enjoy the elevation of the AAC to power status (if it ever even happens). I maintain it's a marketing campaign designed to improve viewership and media value. I agree it also has to do with keeping the AAC associated with the "big boys" if there is a breakaway or the creation of a new more exslusive power division in college football. Keep in mind---the CFP agreement will expire in 9 years. Most major conference TV and GRO's expire at roughly the same time. It's more likely the events surrounding the renegotiation of those agreements decide the AAC's future power conference fate than any strategic plan we devise.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 09:47 AM by Attackcoog.)
09-27-2017 09:30 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
ECU women's softball know we are P6

[Image: DKr9B4EUEAAkukR.jpg]
09-27-2017 09:52 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I liked that article so much that I've taken the bag off my head.
09-27-2017 10:02 AM
UConn to the Beast Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CCSU, AAC
The G4, P6 sounds about right

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
09-27-2017 11:11 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
MiG-4merican
Sun G4lt
G-4SA
Mountian G4st
09-27-2017 11:15 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
The P6 idea the AAC has been raising is great one. Who cares whether it's true or not. AAC is clearly above the other leagues and in many on the field measures closer to the top 5 than the bottom 4. The AAC needs to scream this from the rooftop and media can disagree, but the attention the AAC gets from the P6 stuff is good.
09-27-2017 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.