Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Record DIII crowd of 37,000 at Target Field for St Thomas vs St John's
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Record DIII crowd of 37,000 at Target Field for St Thomas vs St John's
Always felt that St Thomas could have been a Marquette or DePaul sports equivalent in the MSP market, and 37 k people for a game almost proves that point. Granted, St John's had more fans there, but St John's is in a tiny town near St Cloud and pretty much owns the the St Cloud environs.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4...rget-field
09-24-2017 02:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
RE: Record DIII crowd of 37,000 at Target Field for St Thomas vs St John's
really good candidates to move up to The Big David State Conference and then eventually to the MAC after NIU and Ohio of Ohio move to the AAC

/David State
09-24-2017 02:32 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
It was a gimmick and of hosting the first football game at Target Field mean whip there will be conditions to prevent Target Field to run the same scam
09-24-2017 03:17 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(09-24-2017 03:17 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  It was a gimmick and of hosting the first football game at Target Field mean whip there will be conditions to prevent Target Field to run the same scam

Umm. What?
09-24-2017 10:42 AM
Advertisement

MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-24-2017 02:17 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Always felt that St Thomas could have been a Marquette or DePaul sports equivalent in the MSP market

Doubtful. Minneapolis has UM, NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, MSL and Minor League Baseball in a town slightly bigger than Milwaukee. No way St. Thomas could draw 14,000 per game, like MU does, with that kind of competition. I'm not sure any school would like to be like DePaul. In a much, much bigger market, DePaul doesn't draw flies unless they are competitive. For the most part, DePaul was behind Loyola except for the George Mikan years, until their short span of success in the 80s. Right now, DePaul is a complete mess.

I guess I see could St. Thomas, if they built a competitive program, be like SLU, struggling as mid-level, mid-major program in D-1. Not sure what that accomplishes.
09-24-2017 01:55 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-24-2017 01:55 PM)MU88 Wrote:  
(09-24-2017 02:17 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Always felt that St Thomas could have been a Marquette or DePaul sports equivalent in the MSP market

Doubtful. Minneapolis has UM, NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, MSL and Minor League Baseball in a town slightly bigger than Milwaukee. No way St. Thomas could draw 14,000 per game, like MU does, with that kind of competition. I'm not sure any school would like to be like DePaul. In a much, much bigger market, DePaul doesn't draw flies unless they are competitive. For the most part, DePaul was behind Loyola except for the George Mikan years, until their short span of success in the 80s. Right now, DePaul is a complete mess.

I guess I see could St. Thomas, if they built a competitive program, be like SLU, struggling as mid-level, mid-major program in D-1. Not sure what that accomplishes.
Maybe I should have used BC as an example. Not necessarily a power in mbb, but certainly a power in ice hockey and less so in fb. The new MN United stadium is going up not so far from them - what could have been.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2017 03:21 PM by NoDak.)
09-24-2017 03:18 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
I happened to snatch-up a obstructed view ticket and let me just say, the atmosphere was absolutely jacked, which was expected thanks to all the beer that was free-flowing. I hope that this series can continue to be played at Target Field, or even US Bank Stadium if Target Field is not available.
09-24-2017 04:05 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Both schools should be in D1. You don't get many schools below D to have that many fans in the seats. You just can't have one since the game was between the two teams. If one comes up? Then, you do not get this large of a crowd.
09-24-2017 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

St Thomas and Creighton were once a part of the Dakotas old conference, the North Central, but they each went in another direction.
09-24-2017 04:28 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-24-2017 04:11 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Both schools should be in D1. You don't get many schools below D to have that many fans in the seats. You just can't have one since the game was between the two teams. If one comes up? Then, you do not get this large of a crowd.

******* stop.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017 12:15 AM by utpotts.)
09-24-2017 11:57 PM
Advertisement

jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(09-24-2017 04:11 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Both schools should be in D1. You don't get many schools below D to have that many fans in the seats. You just can't have one since the game was between the two teams. If one comes up? Then, you do not get this large of a crowd.

Both schools have a ton of alumni in the Twin Cities and it is a great rivalry, and both play in a very successful and talented D3 league. It was a nice fall day in MN, first time playing a FB game at Target Field. The Gophers were off, and they were selling beer.

Stop making such a huge deal out of this, both are staying D3, happy playing D3, and doing very well playing D3. That isn't going to change.
09-25-2017 08:36 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
I agree with Todge and say move them both up to the Big David State Conference ASAP.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017 10:05 AM by billybobby777.)
09-25-2017 08:45 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin

St John's being D1 makes no sense, they fit the mold of a D3 school to a T. St Thomas is a bit different in that they are about 10,000 students with about 7k undergrad and 3k grad students. They dwarf the other schools in their conference.

I know it won't happen due to historical ties to the MN schools but would be interesting to see St. Thomas in with all the Wisconsin D3 schools like Whitewater, Eau Claire, etc... that are all more similar in enrollment.
09-25-2017 10:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.