Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

KU announces 350 million dollar football stadium upgrade...and it looks terrible.
Shox Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
KU announces 350 million dollar football stadium upgrade...and it looks terrible.
Here is the article and pics, but basically for 350 million they will have a generic erector set stadium and still have the worst stadium in the Big XII. When comparing this to Baylor and Minnesota's new stadium, that came in 100 million dollars less, this is flat out embarrassing. Hopefully somebody will do me a solid and post a few pics. The Upgrades are ok but for a school that desperately wants to make a splash with the hopes of being in the B1G someday, 350 million for this is a complete joke and somebody should be fired.

http://m.ljworld.com/news/2017/sep/22/me...d-campaig/
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 12:31 AM by Shox.)
09-23-2017 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
RE: KU announces 350 million dollar football stadium upgrade...and it looks terrible.
(09-23-2017 12:25 AM)Shox Wrote:  Here is the article and pics, but basically for 350 million they will have a generic erector set stadium and still have the worst stadium in the Big XII. When comparing this to Baylor and Minnesota's new stadium, that came in 100 million dollars less, this is flat out embarrassing. Hopefully somebody will do me a solid and post a few pics. The Upgrades are ok but for a school that desperately wants to make a splash with the hopes of being in the B1G someday, 350 million for this is a complete joke and somebody should be fired.

These "drawings", more often than not, are just rough sketches. I'm going to give KU the benefit of the doubt and assume most of them are smart enough to know they are getting their money's worth. I'm guessing you being a Shocker, you might not be willing to give them this courtesy. Just saying. 07-coffee3
09-23-2017 12:58 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: KU announces 350 million dollar football stadium upgrade...and it looks terrible.
I love vintage stadiums, so them getting rid of the horseshoe is a bummer.
09-23-2017 01:09 AM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Article says it is a $350M campaign for facilities, including an indoor practice facility and new volleyball arena. Other sports facilities too.
09-23-2017 08:09 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-23-2017 08:09 AM)72Tiger Wrote:  Article says it is a $350M campaign for facilities, including an indoor practice facility and new volleyball arena. Other sports facilities too.

I think they are spending $297 on new paint for FB stadium.
09-23-2017 08:38 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-23-2017 12:25 AM)Shox Wrote:  Here is the article and pics, but basically for 350 million they will have a generic erector set stadium and still have the worst stadium in the Big XII. When comparing this to Baylor and Minnesota's new stadium, that came in 100 million dollars less, this is flat out embarrassing. Hopefully somebody will do me a solid and post a few pics. The Upgrades are ok but for a school that desperately wants to make a splash with the hopes of being in the B1G someday, 350 million for this is a complete joke and somebody should be fired.

It reminds me of Ole Miss' stadium, which for me is rather strange considering that KU detests all things southern (see former vicious rivalry with Mizzou).
09-23-2017 09:07 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
This link has better quality renderings.

Link

There are very few details available. The article does say $300m for football including an indoor practice facility. The IPF could be as little as $15m or $50m or more.

They may have to make changes to comply with current requirements. Egress, handicap access and womens restrooms are some that come to mind that the average fan won't even notice.
09-23-2017 09:07 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Still looks like Vaught-Hemingway to me.
09-23-2017 10:25 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Not sure what the problem is. It looks pretty good to me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
09-23-2017 11:35 AM
Advertisement

Shox Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
The problem is that they are spending at least 300 million of that 350 million on facilities for a less than average bottom p5 tier stadium. At the end of it all, they will still have one of the worst stadiums in the Big XII. KU board is in full melt down mode.
09-23-2017 06:38 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
If that's all they get for 350 million, they are getting taken.
09-23-2017 08:22 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(09-23-2017 10:25 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Still looks like Vaught-Hemingway to me.

Um, no it doesn't? Have you even seen Ole Miss since the renovations last year?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 09:17 PM by NBPirate.)
09-23-2017 09:16 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
From the article:

Quote:“Higher education is a highly competitive environment, particularly when you look at what’s happening nationally, where we’ve seen decreasing students going into higher education every year since 2010 on the national front,” Girod said. “So we know that we have to have our A-game when it comes to recruiting the best and brightest students, that that competition is there, will continue to be there, and those are really the students we want to make KU their home and want to be future Jayhawks. So this is such a key part, as I said, of making sure that we are a national presence.”

Girod, who also provided a vote of confidence for both Zenger and football coach David Beaty, went as far to say KU is “playing a bit of catch-up” to its Big 12 peers on that front, because Kansas is the only football program in the league without its own indoor facility (the Jayhawks practice indoors at KU track’s Anschutz Pavilion on occasion).

Zenger said he hired Beaty in late 2014, in part, because of his ability as a recruiter, and the athletic director anticipates Beaty growing the program further with the aid of forthcoming facilities improvements.

“Young people, they come at it differently than we did years ago. They don’t want the pegs to hold their shoulder pads on anymore. They’ll go other places and see other entities that are as good or better than we are,” Zenger said of how modernized infrastructure will benefit the football program. “Quite frankly, when you talk about the indoor and some other things, these are facilities that could and maybe should’ve been done 20, 25 years ago. While we’re very proud of everything we’ve done, it’s time to turn our attention to this, and in the next three to five, to six years get done, what, 20 to 25 years worth of work.”

I've had a disagreement with Frank on this before, but I think university leaders pouring money into these facilities to attract the best and brightest students is a mistake. The prevailing mindset for the best and brightest kids - IMHO - will be to get the best quality education for the best price out there. Second will be distance from home. In the long run, all of these grandiose plans will be end up being huge wastes of resources. More and more kids are preferring to go to school online. While it's still a small percentage, expect this trend to continue at an accelerating pace. And let's make no bones about it - all of these major capital campaigns to "attract the students" is driving up the cost of tuition. Maybe this specific stadium project is funded by the AD and other means; however, other facility enhancements like better dorms and "fancy restaurant" style eating facilities will and do drive up the cost of attendance.

The 2nd part in bold - agree when it comes to recruiting athletes. They want to be pampered in every way possible. Plus with KU being a typical doormat in college football for most of seasons - colossal waste of resources. They will never compete in big time football. It's as much of a structural/demographic issue as it is the stomach to want to compete on the highest levels. I don't see the most gifted athletes in FB wanting to go to KANSAS to play football. Plus Kansas doesn't have the natural local recruiting grounds to sustain it anyways.
09-25-2017 07:51 AM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
What I don't understand is how college football is supposed to serve all of these masters. You build these revamped stadiums, filled with luxury features, expecting this to draw out certain fans that may or may not exist in reality, still largely shoving students into the worst seating (and expecting them to magically all demand to "trade up" from such experiences), all the while television compromises the live experience, has impacted game lengths and tempo, and placed games at all times of the week seemingly. Your big time boosters don't want to be swinging by campus at a time that's determined too close to the actual game because television details need to be figured out. That's a terrible user experience, no matter what "luxury" schools will offer.

It's not an issue that schools want to update some of these venues and other infrastructure. But, how grounded in reality are these ambitious moves?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017 12:35 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
09-25-2017 09:19 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(09-25-2017 07:51 AM)miko33 Wrote:  From the article:

Quote:“Higher education is a highly competitive environment, particularly when you look at what’s happening nationally, where we’ve seen decreasing students going into higher education every year since 2010 on the national front,” Girod said. “So we know that we have to have our A-game when it comes to recruiting the best and brightest students, that that competition is there, will continue to be there, and those are really the students we want to make KU their home and want to be future Jayhawks. So this is such a key part, as I said, of making sure that we are a national presence.”

Girod, who also provided a vote of confidence for both Zenger and football coach David Beaty, went as far to say KU is “playing a bit of catch-up” to its Big 12 peers on that front, because Kansas is the only football program in the league without its own indoor facility (the Jayhawks practice indoors at KU track’s Anschutz Pavilion on occasion).

Zenger said he hired Beaty in late 2014, in part, because of his ability as a recruiter, and the athletic director anticipates Beaty growing the program further with the aid of forthcoming facilities improvements.

“Young people, they come at it differently than we did years ago. They don’t want the pegs to hold their shoulder pads on anymore. They’ll go other places and see other entities that are as good or better than we are,” Zenger said of how modernized infrastructure will benefit the football program. “Quite frankly, when you talk about the indoor and some other things, these are facilities that could and maybe should’ve been done 20, 25 years ago. While we’re very proud of everything we’ve done, it’s time to turn our attention to this, and in the next three to five, to six years get done, what, 20 to 25 years worth of work.”

I've had a disagreement with Frank on this before, but I think university leaders pouring money into these facilities to attract the best and brightest students is a mistake. The prevailing mindset for the best and brightest kids - IMHO - will be to get the best quality education for the best price out there. Second will be distance from home. In the long run, all of these grandiose plans will be end up being huge wastes of resources. More and more kids are preferring to go to school online. While it's still a small percentage, expect this trend to continue at an accelerating pace. And let's make no bones about it - all of these major capital campaigns to "attract the students" is driving up the cost of tuition. Maybe this specific stadium project is funded by the AD and other means; however, other facility enhancements like better dorms and "fancy restaurant" style eating facilities will and do drive up the cost of attendance.

The 2nd part in bold - agree when it comes to recruiting athletes. They want to be pampered in every way possible. Plus with KU being a typical doormat in college football for most of seasons - colossal waste of resources. They will never compete in big time football. It's as much of a structural/demographic issue as it is the stomach to want to compete on the highest levels. I don't see the most gifted athletes in FB wanting to go to KANSAS to play football. Plus Kansas doesn't have the natural local recruiting grounds to sustain it anyways.

Well stated
09-25-2017 09:29 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
It's probably no coincidence that the best period of football in KU history came after a couple of mediocre seasons for K-State between Snyder and that one guy who followed him before his return. With Snyder being 77 there's an opportunity for KU to rise up a little if his replacement flops after he inevitably retires in the near future.
09-25-2017 12:42 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(09-23-2017 06:38 PM)Shox Wrote:  The problem is that they are spending at least 300 million of that 350 million on facilities for a less than average bottom p5 tier stadium. At the end of it all, they will still have one of the worst stadiums in the Big XII. KU board is in full melt down mode.

Why are you on the KU board? 07-coffee3
09-25-2017 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.