RIP Dr. Carrier.
09-18-2017 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bridgeforthduke Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Uncle Ron passed today
I didn't know him like many that graduated before the 2000s, but I would still see him on campus often in the last 2000s. Such a driving force for what JMU is today.
09-18-2017 07:11 PM
POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Sad news - many great memories.
09-18-2017 07:11 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Great memories of Uncle Ron as well.
09-18-2017 07:14 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Ultimate JMU architect & legend. Wish I had known what it was like to be on-campus with him living in Hillcrest.

Sad day.
09-18-2017 07:18 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Guys. I absolutely admired this guy and have so many good memories of him. This is a sad day for all of us older Dukes who knew and experienced Uncle Ron. Everything JMU is today came from the vision he had for the university. We lost a visionary and the architect of JMU. Man, this one is tough guys. Ron was older and this day comes for all of us but man oh man, I am feeling this one tonight.

Hey guys, let's all remember we are Dukes. The pride we feel in our university started with Dr. Carrier. He created all that we love and adore. There are few human beings than can leave such a legacy for generations that come behind them. Uncle Ron did that. RISP Uncle Ron. Thank you for creating a university in which I am so proud to say I am an alum. JMU is special because you made it that way!
09-18-2017 07:59 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

09-18-2017 08:06 PM
19Duke97 Offline
2nd String

(09-18-2017 07:06 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  RIP Dr. Carrier.

This is so sad, Uncle Ron was the best. He will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.
09-18-2017 08:11 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

Wonderful man and a genuine leader.
I still remember him threatening to take my diploma back one time.
09-18-2017 08:13 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
GOAT. RIP Uncle Ron, and thanks for everything we love!
09-18-2017 08:21 PM
DRDukes Offline
Bench Warmer

Uncle Ron passed today
JMU is JMU because of Carrier. Without him, we'll, I can't even imagine how different a place it would be.
09-18-2017 08:29 PM
Advertisement

MRD92 Offline
Bench Warmer

Uncle Ron passed today
Rest In Peace, Uncle Ron. You will be missed. Thank you for all you did for JMU and for all of us who were students during your time as president.
09-18-2017 08:40 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Great leader who did a wonderful job. I certainly know why he was Uncle Ron, but does anyone know exactly when it became so?
09-18-2017 08:44 PM
purplesanman Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
I don't gasp out loud from a headline very often, but man...

He Was The Best.
09-18-2017 09:04 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Online
1st String

Just awful, awful news....RIP
09-18-2017 09:07 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

RIP to a wonderful man, he led a great life and impacted many.
09-18-2017 09:09 PM
Advertisement

CISDuke2014 Offline
1st String

(09-18-2017 07:59 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Guys. I absolutely admired this guy and have so many good memories of him. This is a sad day for all of us older Dukes who knew and experienced Uncle Ron. Everything JMU is today came from the vision he had for the university. We lost a visionary and the architect of JMU. Man, this one is tough guys. Ron was older and this day comes for all of us but man oh man, I am feeling this one tonight.

Hey guys, let's all remember we are Dukes. The pride we feel in our university started with Dr. Carrier. He created all that we love and adore. There are few human beings than can leave such a legacy for generations that come behind them. Uncle Ron did that. RISP Uncle Ron. Thank you for creating a university in which I am so proud to say I am an alum. JMU is special because you made it that way!

Not trying to minimize the older generation who grew up with Uncle Ron. But even us younger Dukes feel this loss. He is the reason I got into JMU. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for him I never would've been able to call myself a Duke. After 5 applications you don't have the highest confidence in yourself you know? But I ended up meeting him and Dr. Rose at my job one day and 3 hours later he is on the phone with admissions getting me a personal meeting. As they say...."the rest is history". Looking back it's still amazing that he was so genuinely interested in me. Someone he didn't know and someone he certainly didn't have to do any favors for. But he still took time out of his day to learn about me and help me.

I will be forever indebted to him for giving me all that I have in life; because without JMU, I certainly wouldn't have half of what I have.
09-18-2017 09:14 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-18-2017 09:14 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 07:59 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Guys. I absolutely admired this guy and have so many good memories of him. This is a sad day for all of us older Dukes who knew and experienced Uncle Ron. Everything JMU is today came from the vision he had for the university. We lost a visionary and the architect of JMU. Man, this one is tough guys. Ron was older and this day comes for all of us but man oh man, I am feeling this one tonight.

Not trying to minimize the older generation who grew up with Uncle Ron. But even us younger Dukes feel this loss. He is the reason I got into JMU. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for him I never would've been able to call myself a Duke. After 5 applications you don't have the highest confidence in yourself you know? But I ended up meeting him and Dr. Rose at my job one day and 3 hours later he is on the phone with admissions getting me a personal meeting. As they say...."the rest is history". Looking back it's still amazing that he was so genuinely interested in me. Someone he didn't know and someone he certainly didn't have to do any favors for. But he still took time out of his day to learn about me and help me.

I will be forever indebted to him for giving me all that I have in life; because without JMU, I certainly wouldn't have half of what I have.

He got my brother in as well. Not that he didn't deserve to be a Duke, he had the grades, the SAT, all the extra's but the numbers kept him out, one well placed phone call to one of Dr. Carrier's close friends, who we happened to be close to and in a week or so, a second letter came to my brother, this time it was an acceptance.
09-18-2017 09:20 PM
91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND
(09-18-2017 09:14 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  Not trying to minimize the older generation who grew up with Uncle Ron. But even us younger Dukes feel this loss. He is the reason I got into JMU. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for him I never would've been able to call myself a Duke. After 5 applications you don't have the highest confidence in yourself you know? But I ended up meeting him and Dr. Rose at my job one day and 3 hours later he is on the phone with admissions getting me a personal meeting. As they say...."the rest is history". Looking back it's still amazing that he was so genuinely interested in me. Someone he didn't know and someone he certainly didn't have to do any favors for. But he still took time out of his day to learn about me and help me.

Great story.
09-18-2017 09:20 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

Dr. Carrier, envisioned and guided Madison College to become JMU. Ronald Carrier engaged within the community and within the commonwealth to execute on this vision. Uncle Ron, walked the campus to touch students, faculty, and staff.

Everyone who set's foot to JMU, gets the opportunity to experience, change, and cherish it. Few can measure up to how Uncle Ron did. Thanks Dr. Carrier, peace be with the family.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 09:47 PM by JMU_Rocks!.)
09-18-2017 09:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.