Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nebraska position grades
Bookmark and Share
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Nebraska position grades
QB-B

Santa wasn't great, but he was good enough. A couple big time throws when we needed them and took care of the football. I know some people hate it, but I love seeing Childers and he was effective with his two runs.

RB-A

Huff was the man. Glad he got the load. We needed him and don't win this one without him today.

WR-B

Blake was also the man and we don't win without him. My concern coming into this season was that we wouldn't have that bonafide deep threat when we needed it. His playing like a Senior. Love the coming out party for Wesley. Only reason I didn't go A was because their was some coverage sacks, which means WR weren't doing their part to shake open.

OL-B

Anytime you can go into a place like Lincoln, NE and establish a run game...you've got dudes! It's a B because they did get to Santa. So they get 1/3 of the blame.

TE-B-

Didn't really show up in the pass game, but they did their pet in the run game.

DL-A-

Sutton Smith for Heisman? I can't remember being this excited about s guy up front since Larry English. He is a DUDE! Considerable pressure and help up vs the run. Just got worn down at the end, but that's really on the offense.

LB-A

Huge plays all over the field. I love the toughness and athleticism of this group.

Secondary-B+

Lurry gonna Lurry! Safety play was solid. Tackling could have been better and receivers were running open at times. Made big plays when we needed them.

ST-C+

Muffed punt inside the 10 and missed FG...and we somehow survived it! Pretty good in the kick coverage game.

Coaching-A

The only thing I ever care about with a coach is if the kids are responding to him. The way the guys celebrated with OUR coach after the game tells me all I need to know.

Game management, recruiting, Personnel decisions. Every coach can get scalped for some of that but st this level as long as kids are playing hard and competitive...dude is doing a good job.

Like Brian kelly, my biggest gripe with him is the way he berated kids and gives sophomoric interviews. You can get away with that crap if you are winning, but it's a terrible look when the tides turn. Seems to have toned some of that down. I like that the guy is constructive with the feedback.

We'll see how he handles this QB decision. That's the kind of thing that can rally or separate the troops.
09-17-2017 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: Nebraska position grades
(09-17-2017 07:43 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  QB-B

Santa wasn't great, but he was good enough. A couple big time throws when we needed them and took care of the football. I know some people hate it, but I love seeing Childers and he was effective with his two runs.

RB-A

Huff was the man. Glad he got the load. We needed him and don't win this one without him today.

WR-B

Blake was also the man and we don't win without him. My concern coming into this season was that we wouldn't have that bonafide deep threat when we needed it. His playing like a Senior. Love the coming out party for Wesley. Only reason I didn't go A was because their was some coverage sacks, which means WR weren't doing their part to shake open.

OL-B

Anytime you can go into a place like Lincoln, NE and establish a run game...you've got dudes! It's a B because they did get to Santa. So they get 1/3 of the blame.

TE-B-

DL-A-

Sutton Smith for Heisman? I can't remember being this excited about s guy up front since Larry English. He is a DUDE! Considerable pressure and help up vs the run. Just got worn down at the end, but that's really on the offense.

LB-A

Huge plays all over the field. I love the toughness and athleticism of this group.

Secondary-B+

Lurry gonna Lurry! Safety play was solid. Tackling could have been better and receivers were running open at times. Made big plays when we needed them.

ST-C+

Muffed punt inside the 10 and missed FG...and we somehow survived it! Pretty good in the kick coverage game.

Coaching-A

The only thing I ever care about with a coach is if the kids are responding to him. The way the guys celebrated with OUR coach after the game tells me all I need to know.

Game management, recruiting, Personnel decisions. Every coach can get scalped for some of that but st this level as long as kids are playing hard and competitive...dude is doing a good job.

Like Brian kelly, my biggest gripe with him is the way he berated kids and gives sophomoric interviews. You can get away with that crap if you are winning, but it's a terrible look when the tides turn. Seems to have toned some of that down. I like that the guy is constructive with the feedback.

We'll see how he handles this QB decision. That's the kind of thing that can rally or separate the troops.

Just can't give coaching an A, I am the last one that wants to ruin the vibe around this win, but lets be honest, Carey almost cost NIU that game. Only valuing 1 offensive possession the whole game is just not going to be good enough going forward.
09-17-2017 07:47 AM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
We just beat Nebraska...in Nebraska. Dude gets an A no matter how you want to dissect it.
09-17-2017 08:03 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(09-17-2017 08:03 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  We just beat Nebraska...in Nebraska. Dude gets an A no matter how you want to dissect it.

Yep.
09-17-2017 08:43 AM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
What Sutton Smith is doing is beyond comprehension; I don't recal better stat lines for a 3 game period; sacks and TFLs, at critical points in the game...and only a sophomore. Our OL is a strength of this team, but yesterday wasn't their best, but not bad either. JJ was off the chart yesterday, amazing game; JC was also outstanding.
Carey's team was well prepared to play; and again, his sideline demeanor was excellent. Clock management at the end of the game was questionable and it could have cost us. The downside of going up 14 early with defensive scores, is that it is conducive to being conservative on play calling; we were, and it almost cost us. Still, that was a big time W; and the coaches should be commended.
It's not often that you learn lessons and win; the lesson, Santa has to throw the ball deep; that seems to be when he is at his best; and he uses that to get into a rhythm; the best throw may have been the slant to Blake. Playing without Beebe definitely had an impact. Stepping up with your team down late in the 4th quarter was huge; and should be a major building block for the future. Finally, we need to get our FG game on track; the kid needs a big kick to get his head right; I am hoping he does. Great W Huskies.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 09:35 AM by Djud.)
09-17-2017 09:25 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-17-2017 08:43 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 08:03 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  We just beat Nebraska...in Nebraska. Dude gets an A no matter how you want to dissect it.

Yep.

That may be true, but I can guarantee you if NIU approaches the SDSU and Toledo games the same way as the Nebraska game from offensive standpoint, those games will not even be close. You can't be content with wasting possessions against SDSU or Toledo, you almost have to approach every possession as if scoring points is the goal.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 09:38 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-17-2017 09:37 AM
Advertisement

badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

The special teams needs to get its act together. Two muffed punts in two games! The FG???? Ha! Ference is doing a great job punting and he did place kick in high school. I think it's time to give him a shot. See if he can out kick Hagen in practice. He's obviously got a good leg. As for coaching, Carey obviously recruited some good kids but by chance he's got the right QB and the right RB in place now. He needs to learn how to use them. Huff only had one carry the vast majority of the second quarter and the entire third quarter. That's stupid. Also, he threw one deep ball the entire game, nearly costing us the game. Hopefully he can grow a pair before the SDSU game. Obviously we are going to need all three phases of the game to be on top of their game to beat them in light of their huge win against Stanford. Or Carey can just be happy and satisfied with not getting blown out.
09-17-2017 09:41 AM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(09-17-2017 09:37 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Yep.

That may be true, but I can guarantee you if NIU approaches the SDSU and Toledo games the same way as the Nebraska game from offensive standpoint, those games will not even be close. You can't be content with wasting possessions against SDSU or Toledo, you almost have to approach every possession as if scoring points is the goal.

Good god....

I can't even imagine what goes through your head
09-17-2017 09:42 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2017 09:42 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  

Yep.

Good god....

At least he doesn't think Jones is better than Huff and Santa isn't the answer.. 03-lmfao
09-17-2017 09:45 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

Yep.

Good god....

You think 200 yards of offense will be enough to beat Toledo and SDSU?
09-17-2017 09:50 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2017 09:50 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Yep.

Good god....

Obviously he and Carey think we can do with less since he wants to see Graham and Jones instead of Santa and Huff ! 03-lmfao
09-17-2017 09:53 AM
Advertisement

NIU32 Offline
Heisman

Nebraska position grades
Seeing the players dump Gatorade on Carey and all running up to him and jumping around and hugging him after the win speaks volumes. Whatever happened in the past with Carey and the players seems to be patched up and you can tell this year they are all together and on the same page. Great to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
09-17-2017 10:10 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

Nebraska position grades
Seeing the players dump Gatorade on Carey and all running up to him and jumping around and hugging him after the win speaks volumes. Whatever happened in the past with Carey and the players seems to be patched up and you can tell this year they are all together and on the same page. Great to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
09-17-2017 10:19 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-17-2017 09:53 AM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 08:43 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  Yep.

Good god....

Obviously he and Carey think we can do with less since he wants to see Graham and Jones instead of Santa and Huff ! 03-lmfao

I think it will be different going forward. This was a big game in front of 90k and all players were probably nervous, especially QB. Santa was looking downfield plenty of times before he threw it to the safety valve. Either the receivers weren't open or he didn't trust himself to make the throw and risk a turnover, so he went to easy throw.
I don't know why Carey didn't play Santa or Huff more in 1st 2 games. He is a conservative coach. If he changes either going forward for SDSU, then you have a definite complaint. But our oline and Huff proved we can play power football with big teams. As Santa gets more confidence in himself and receivers, OC will open up the offense and Santa will probably take more chances. He did have a couple of interceptions dropped in the EIU game, so I'm sure coaches put it in his head not to take chances. Our D was winning this game, so no need to take chances. Any win at Nebraska is a good win. We had minimal penalties and only 1 TO from special teams. We beat the BIG RED at their place!!!!!! I hate bye week now, but Santa has 2 more weeks to ptactice with #1 offense.
09-17-2017 10:21 AM
cosine4 Online
2nd String

QB - I agree about the Childers reps...I used to get mad when Lynch would come in for Harnish but I can't argue with that.

Secondary - They won this game, anything but an A is too little.

ST - They almost lost this game, C+ is to generous IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
09-17-2017 10:32 AM
dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

(09-17-2017 07:43 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  QB-B

RB-A

WR-B

OL-B

TE-B-

DL-A-

LB-A

Secondary-B+

ST-C+

Coaching-A

Good post, agree with all except for special teams, that's an F

Miss fg and fumbled punt can't be a c+ (better than average)

Punter is an A
09-17-2017 10:47 AM
Advertisement

dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

Yep.

Good god....

They will be very different games, slow down man, remember how before the Nebraska game everyone was like, there defense sucks, well they didn't suck, they played a good game, teams progress and regress, the sdsu, wmu, and Toledo games will all be much different than Nebraska
09-17-2017 10:51 AM
YoungPup Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-17-2017 10:32 AM)cosine4 Wrote:  QB - I agree about the Childers reps...I used to get mad when Lynch would come in for Harnish but I can't argue with that.

C+ is generous???? With the muffed punt (Embry's a backup) and missed field goal (hope Hagan pulls it together), it was at least a B effort. We blocked a field goal, and Matt Ference is a drastic change from Ambrose. He is the reason the defense was able to give up as many yards as they did (which wasn't a lot anyways). We had control of field position the entire game.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 11:00 AM by YoungPup.)
09-17-2017 10:55 AM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

(09-17-2017 07:43 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  Secondary-B+

ST-C+

Coaching-A

For the most part I agreed with your analysis but:

Secondary A+ - You can't get a pick six and not get a A+. They played well in space and only had a few real lapses. Good pass defense and the safeties were poppin' them pads on run support.

Deeper breakdown of the Special Teams:
FG D (Maybe he figured it out but still missed)
FG Block team A- (blocked 1 of 2) Nice Job!
Punt & Kickoff Coverage B+/A-
Punting A
Kickoff Returns B+ No real opportunities but no mistakes either (Penalties etc)
Punt Returns C- Can't create a turnover like that and let them come back into the game

Coaching: A (Well prepared, well scouted and team won on the road).

I still question the clock management in Q4...Don't get why you're not running the play clock all the way down or forcing them to use their Time outs.
09-17-2017 11:23 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-17-2017 10:55 AM)YoungPup Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 10:32 AM)cosine4 Wrote:  QB - I agree about the Childers reps...I used to get mad when Lynch would come in for Harnish but I can't argue with that.

C+ is generous???? With the muffed punt (Embry's a backup) and missed field goal (hope Hagan pulls it together), it was at least a B effort. We blocked a field goal, and Matt Ference is a drastic change from Ambrose. He is the reason the defense was able to give up as many yards as they did (which wasn't a lot anyways). We had control of field position the entire game.

It is so nice having a good punter. C+ is fair given the punting, good kickoff coverage for the most part, and punt coverage. I would say C- or C with the fumbled punt and missed FG.
09-17-2017 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.