Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realistic Bowls the AAC Could Get
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Realistic Bowls the AAC Could Get
Next go around...

Follow up Question:
Realistically, what would be a bowl we could secure for the AAC champ and vs whom (conference)?

Discuss...
09-16-2017 06:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Realistic Bowls the AAC Could Get
The Dairy Whip Gazebo Bowl
09-16-2017 06:16 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

^That is a given...I mean besides that one
09-16-2017 06:35 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I still think a bowl that pits the AAC champ vs the MWC champ (barring appearance in the NY6) would be fun.

Or at least AAC #2 vs MWC #2
09-16-2017 06:51 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
If we can land the champs or Liberty bowl that would be nice.
09-16-2017 07:01 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(09-16-2017 06:51 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I still think a bowl that pits the AAC champ vs the MWC champ (barring appearance in the NY6) would be fun.

I agree the American should have something like this. Maybe a full tie in with the Armed Forces versus the MWC. Shag the HOD versus the Big10 or Big12. Get the ACC to have a full st Pete tie. Get a partial tie in to a rotating pool of say the Liberty/Texas/Gator/etc... Grab independence. The Sec is going to rarely fill it so it is an opportunity to talk.

I mean hopefully after the last go around Aresco is ready and knows what bowls to approach where the league has a legitimate shot at taking it. The league is establishing itself and should be much more attractive this go around IMO.
09-16-2017 07:20 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-16-2017 06:51 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I still think a bowl that pits the AAC champ vs the MWC champ (barring appearance in the NY6) would be fun.

I'd like that too. The AAC and MWC are clearly the two best G5, so it would be nice to meet them in a bowl of high-finishing teams.
09-16-2017 08:02 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(09-16-2017 07:01 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  If we can land the champs or Liberty bowl that would be nice.

they don't want to give up SEC vs Big 12...it packs out the stadium and sells LOTS of hotel rooms.

It would be nice, though.
09-16-2017 08:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I have no desire to lift MWC to our level.
09-16-2017 08:25 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-16-2017 07:01 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  If we can land the champs or Liberty bowl that would be nice.

Nice but highly unlikely.
09-16-2017 08:25 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Didnt the mwc champ play our #6 a hear or two ago? The year two of their teams played each other in a bowl?
09-16-2017 10:39 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

The biggest problem for that bowl is location. No matter where it's located, its going to be a completely out of footprint bowl for one of the participants. That a recipe for failure in a G5 bowl.

Frisco is about the only place that could make that match up work because it's not that far from the MW, has a good airport, is a reasonably decent destination (basically Dallas), and it only takes 20K to sell out--so the AAC team will pretty much do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to selling tickets. Plus there are 5 million people in the metro area to buy up the few remaining tickets. With a 20K capacity---this would basically be a made for TV event. While I like the idea of one AAC vs MW bowl, I'd prefer the AAC champ or runner up play a P5---so I'm not into this idea at all. It's similar to the CUSA vs MW Liberty Bowls that both conferences walked away from (mainly because the MW fans didn't travel to it).

Frankly. I think our best outcome (and it's a long shot) is to get our champ included in the bowl pool that includes the Liberty/Music City/Texas/Belk/Gator Bowls. If we could land one slot in that group (which receives #3-5 picks from SEC, ACC, Big12,Big10)---that would be a huge improvement in the AAC bowl situation. Even if it was a rotating slot (which it would almost have to be in order to be agreed to), it would give the AAC a guaranteed quality post season destination for our champ. The problem is---it's virtually impossible to get a bowl to give up a P5 tie. So, it's going to every tough to get into that pool and the only way I can see it happen is if the AAC slot rotates through the pool so it's basically just a 1 year deal for each bowl.

If we can't do that (and we probably can't), then we just need to get as many bowls vs the P5 as possible. I think we could potentially get as many as 6.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 10:48 AM by Attackcoog.)
09-16-2017 10:43 AM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
AAC needs to keep Milatary & Birmingham
AAC knocks ACC out of Detriot, which gives ACC St Pete full time
Hawaii vs MWC
Frisco vs C-USA
Armed Forces vs MWC
Cure Bowl vs C-USA

ESPN owns most of these bowls, that makes BYU & Army likely an at-large canidate
MAC strong backup for Detriot
alot of Tex schools for at-large for Tex games
gonna need alot of luck for Fla games to work
09-16-2017 04:49 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

My vote would be Liberty. Would be in the center of the conference's footprint and a good place for conference officials and presidents to meet and greet. Memphis blues and BBQ all in one yummy place.
09-17-2017 12:23 AM
nobledictator1278 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU Baby
Liberty bailed on us last time..... they aren't coming back I don't think. They have already taken that political heat. Ive always thought AAC should have created a new bowl for our Number 1 and pimp it out to a at large. It is a little embarrassing our champion don't have a bowl. Logic says it should be MW #1 vs AAC #1 however both fan-bases find playing a game against one of the other major conferences the sexier game even if it is a 4 or below.

Our best hope for a better game for our champion is to create our own bowl with a decent pay out that makes it hard to refuse for one of the other conferences. Otherwise we will continue with the scraps.
09-20-2017 06:27 AM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
[Image: bourbon_bowl_button.jpg?height=460&a...;amp;qv=90]
09-20-2017 07:21 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-20-2017 06:27 AM)nobledictator1278 Wrote:  Our best hope for a better game for our champion is to create our own bowl with a decent pay out that makes it hard to refuse for one of the other conferences. Otherwise we will continue with the scraps.

That is the problem. Too risky to create a bowl at a high payout level and hope espn goes along with a good timeslot. Espn owns a lot of bowl games so they don't want competition and media rights then become an issue.
09-20-2017 07:41 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(09-20-2017 07:41 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(09-20-2017 06:27 AM)nobledictator1278 Wrote:  Our best hope for a better game for our champion is to create our own bowl with a decent pay out that makes it hard to refuse for one of the other conferences. Otherwise we will continue with the scraps.

That is the problem. Too risky to create a bowl at a high payout level and hope espn goes along with a good timeslot. Espn owns a lot of bowl games so they don't want competition and media rights then become an issue.

If you have a bowl with a good payout---you'll get a good P5 oppoenet. If you don't get a P5 opponene---you don't do the deal.

With a P5 opponent---There will be plenty of networks interested in televising the game. It won't be like the Miami Bowl where we had some random CUSA/MAC/Sunbelt also ran as the opponent.
09-20-2017 07:51 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
We should create the City of Oaks Bowl in, say, Raleigh NC so I can go to it every year.
09-20-2017 08:08 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(09-20-2017 08:08 AM)Chappy Wrote:  We should create the City of Oaks Bowl in, say, Raleigh NC so I can go to it every year.

2nded 04-cheers
09-20-2017 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.