Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPNU - Temple vs UMass Friday night and recap of wild ending from last game
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Quote:When Temple (1-1) hosts Massachusetts (0-3) on Friday in a nonleague game at Lincoln Financial Field, it will be the first time the two have met since one of the most wild and more underrated wins in Temple football history.

On Sept. 19, 2015, Temple executed a late comeback to beat UMass, 25-23, at Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots, in Foxborough, Mass.

Just 10,141 attended the game, but they were treated to a dramatic finish.

Things didn’t look good when UMass took a 23-20 lead on a 16-yard touchdown pass with 1 minute, 20 seconds left to play.

If the Minutemen made the point-after attempt, Temple would need a touchdown to win.

As it turned out, Praise Martin-Oguike blocked the PAT kick, and that was when all chaos began. Stephaun Marshall retrieved the ball and as he was about to be tackled, lateraled to Will Hayes, who returned it for a defensive PAT, giving Temple two points.

Trailing by 23-22, Temple marched to the UMass 15-yard line before Austin Jones kicked the winning field goal with seven seconds left.

Why was this such a big game?

Temple had entered at 2-0, having opened with its first win over Penn State since 1941. The Owls then won at Cincinnati, the preseason pick to win the American Athletic Conference title.

Had Temple not won that UMass game, the Owls almost assuredly wouldn’t have been ranked when they faced Notre Dame on Oct. 31, Halloween night.

Temple entered the Notre Dame game 7-0 and ranked No. 21 in the country, while Notre Dame was 6-1 and ranked No. 9.

Without being unbeaten and ranked, ESPN’s College GameDay likely wouldn’t have come to Philadelphia that weekend, making the city the center of the college football universe. And the Temple-Notre Dame game, played before a sellout crowd at Lincoln Financial Field, likely would not have been ABC’s prime-time game that night.

The exposure Temple received from the Notre Dame football weekend, even though the Owls lost a close game, has been invaluable to the

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...70913.html

UMass has luck, it's just bad luck.
09-15-2017 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: ESPNU - Temple vs UMass Friday night and recap of wild ending from last game
(09-15-2017 12:07 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
Quote:When Temple (1-1) hosts Massachusetts (0-3) on Friday in a nonleague game at Lincoln Financial Field, it will be the first time the two have met since one of the most wild and more underrated wins in Temple football history.

On Sept. 19, 2015, Temple executed a late comeback to beat UMass, 25-23, at Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots, in Foxborough, Mass.

Just 10,141 attended the game, but they were treated to a dramatic finish.

Things didn’t look good when UMass took a 23-20 lead on a 16-yard touchdown pass with 1 minute, 20 seconds left to play.

If the Minutemen made the point-after attempt, Temple would need a touchdown to win.

As it turned out, Praise Martin-Oguike blocked the PAT kick, and that was when all chaos began. Stephaun Marshall retrieved the ball and as he was about to be tackled, lateraled to Will Hayes, who returned it for a defensive PAT, giving Temple two points.

Trailing by 23-22, Temple marched to the UMass 15-yard line before Austin Jones kicked the winning field goal with seven seconds left.

Why was this such a big game?

Temple had entered at 2-0, having opened with its first win over Penn State since 1941. The Owls then won at Cincinnati, the preseason pick to win the American Athletic Conference title.

Had Temple not won that UMass game, the Owls almost assuredly wouldn’t have been ranked when they faced Notre Dame on Oct. 31, Halloween night.

Temple entered the Notre Dame game 7-0 and ranked No. 21 in the country, while Notre Dame was 6-1 and ranked No. 9.

Without being unbeaten and ranked, ESPN’s College GameDay likely wouldn’t have come to Philadelphia that weekend, making the city the center of the college football universe. And the Temple-Notre Dame game, played before a sellout crowd at Lincoln Financial Field, likely would not have been ABC’s prime-time game that night.

The exposure Temple received from the Notre Dame football weekend, even though the Owls lost a close game, has been invaluable to the

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...70913.html

UMass has luck, it's just bad luck.

7-3 Umass right now. Just before halftime.
09-15-2017 07:18 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: ESPNU - Temple vs UMass Friday night and recap of wild ending from last game
Add UMass. 07-coffee3
09-15-2017 07:19 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(09-15-2017 07:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Add UMass. 07-coffee3

I agree to CUSA
09-15-2017 07:27 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Quincy Roche, 3 sacks, 4 TFLs, FF, FR. in the first half.
09-15-2017 07:35 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I'm watching Temple play right now, and it is impossible to hate this team/program. The coaching staff is likable, the players aren't shady as hell, and the school is underrated.
09-15-2017 08:00 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(09-15-2017 08:00 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I'm watching Temple play right now, and it is impossible to hate this team/program. The coaching staff is likable, the players aren't shady as hell, and the school is underrated.
Better game than USF v illannoyed
09-15-2017 08:37 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

If UMass could kick a FG, they'd be set. They've missed 3 in a game where they are losing by 8.
09-15-2017 08:43 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Temple wins 29-21
09-15-2017 09:32 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

Temple aren't any good, but it's good for the conference that they're squeaking wins out.
09-15-2017 09:46 PM
luvyosef Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
Temple will be fine. Collins is a winner. Go Apps!
09-15-2017 10:58 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

(09-15-2017 08:00 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I'm watching Temple play right now, and it is impossible to hate this team/program. The coaching staff is likable, the players aren't shady as hell, and the school is underrated.

2 rep points
09-15-2017 11:13 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the kind words.
09-15-2017 11:39 PM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-15-2017 07:27 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 07:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Add UMass. 07-coffee3

I agree to CUSA

UMASS would take an invite to any conference especially for football right now. Big mistake for not taking the MAC invite for all sports to build their football program and their improve their sports facilities at the FBS level. They could have scheduled OOC games regionally with BC, UConn, Navy, Army, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers for FB and their other sports to draw fans to increase attendance that might be lacking from the MAC. This would also increase revenue and gather more NE regional notoriety for their sports programs. They could have also scheduled old regional A-10 schools for Olympic sports including BB OOC while their FB program grew and sports infrastructure improvements were made on campus while waiting for the next realignment round and a possible invite to the AAC in the future. 04-cheers
09-15-2017 11:45 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Scrappy entertaining game by both teams last night, and great effort by UMass. Good luck with the rest of your season. Any news on if the FB program will join a conference?
09-16-2017 07:57 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-16-2017 07:57 AM)vick mike Wrote:  Scrappy entertaining game by both teams last night, and great effort by UMass. Good luck with the rest of your season. Any news on if the FB program will join a conference?

They were in the MAC conference and turned down the all sports invite where they could have built the program similar to Temple rebuilding their program when the BE kicked them out. In the long run
the decision could come back to bite them and their FB efforts at D-1.

Good luck though - pulling for their long term success in the long run. 07-coffee3
09-16-2017 08:21 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(09-16-2017 07:57 AM)vick mike Wrote:  Scrappy entertaining game by both teams last night, and great effort by UMass. Good luck with the rest of your season. Any news on if the FB program will join a conference?

Thanks vick mike. OliveandBlue- we've lost a good number of games for the lack of a fg kicker. You'd think in year 6 of FBS, we would have found a good field goal kicker. The kid is a freshmen. Nice game Temple.
09-16-2017 08:50 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Temple never joined the Mac for all sports. They stayed in the A10 for basketball. The Mac then decided they didn't want to help build another school in football without a commitment for all sports. Hence UMass went independent in football.

Sent from my SM-G935V using CSNbbs mobile app
09-16-2017 11:10 AM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

(09-16-2017 11:10 AM)mlb Wrote:  Temple never joined the Mac for all sports. They stayed in the A10 for basketball. The Mac then decided they didn't want to help build another school in football without a commitment for all sports. Hence UMass went independent in football.

Sent from my SM-G935V using CSNbbs mobile app

True, but in UMASS's case, as an FBS start- up, I think it would have been wise to jump conferences. They forgot rule #1. Football drives the bus.
09-16-2017 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.