Bookmark and Share
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
So, the new USNWR rankings are out.
Rankings are here:
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges

This thread is not:

1) A claim that the rankings represent anything you actually care about.
2) An invitation to bash any school, SBC or otherwise.
3) "Academic smack."

It is, however, posted with a bit of pride that my school has finally broken out of the realm of Rank Not Published among national universities. I realize we're just above that threshold (at #223 with a number of other schools), but it really is something that's taken years (decades?) of focus on the part of our administration, and I'm glad to see it happen.

Also of note: Idaho and New Mexico State remain in the national rankings, of course (at #171 and #198, respectively), and Appalachian State maintains a slot near the top of southern universities (#9 in the regional rankings). If App is ever able to cross that line into National University status (as I know some, but presumably not all, of their community would like), it wouldn't surprise me if they started out with a ranking higher than any of us in the Belt. (Just look at how Mercer - who was perenially ranked near App in the southern list - made the jump to national and immediately earned a very respectable ranking starting last year.)

A final item that I find interesting: JMU remains in the regional rankings at a very nice #7 in the south. I mention this as a means of maintaining my assertion that App is the closest thing to an academic peer that they have in FBS, which is why I still find the academic argument against their joining the Belt a little odd.
09-13-2017 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
RE: So, the new USNWR rankings are out.
Ranked is ranked but it is funny they cut it off right after #223. Also it technically is not #223 as there are a ton of schools tied as you can see at #223 but again ranked is ranked so kudos.

and yes JMU is full of it.

Here is the criteria if you ever wonder

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-co...nd-weights
09-13-2017 06:24 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(09-13-2017 06:24 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  Ranked is ranked but it is funny they cut it off right after #223. Also it technically is not #223 as there are a ton of schools tied as you can see at #223 but again ranked is ranked so kudos.

I don't know what the cutoff was last year, but it's also possible that some schools' reclassifying to National dropped the threshold to the point where we're no longer RNP. I was glad to see it nonetheless.
09-13-2017 06:35 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
It has UAPB ranked higher than A-State, Hendrix, UCA? Something tells me...not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
09-13-2017 06:40 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(09-13-2017 06:35 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(09-13-2017 06:24 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  Ranked is ranked but it is funny they cut it off right after #223. Also it technically is not #223 as there are a ton of schools tied as you can see at #223 but again ranked is ranked so kudos.

I don't know what the cutoff was last year, but it's also possible that some schools' reclassifying to National dropped the threshold to the point where we're no longer RNP. I was glad to see it nonetheless.
The methodology seems to be the same.

"Schools with equal overall scores are marked as tied in the rankings and display in alphabetical order.

U.S. News chooses to only publish the individual overall ranks of schools placing within the top 75 percent of their categories. However, all listed schools – except those categorized as "Unranked" – have an overall score and rank calculated."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
09-13-2017 06:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
As far as I know, Coastal has no desire to be a "national" university because we won't have enough graduate programs / research to qualify. We are primarily a teaching focused institution with some research activity.

One of the main reasons is we don't get enough support from the state. Even accounting for our large out of state population, we receive a very low amount of funds per in-state student. Around the same support as USC branch campuses and way below schools like Francis Marion, Citadel and SC State.

With that said, we moved up 10 spots to 52nd in the southern region, and moved up to 2nd in the most affordable in the southern region.
09-14-2017 06:47 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(09-13-2017 06:16 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  Rankings are here:

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

It is, however, posted with a bit of pride that my school has finally broken out of the realm of Rank Not Published among national universities. I realize we're just above that threshold (at #223 with a number of other schools), but it really is something that's taken years (decades?) of focus on the part of our administration, and I'm glad to see it happen.

Also of note: Idaho and New Mexico State remain in the national rankings, of course (at #171 and #198, respectively), and Appalachian State maintains a slot near the top of southern universities (#9 in the regional rankings). If App is ever able to cross that line into National University status (as I know some, but presumably not all, of their community would like), it wouldn't surprise me if they started out with a ranking higher than any of us in the Belt. (Just look at how Mercer - who was perenially ranked near App in the southern list - made the jump to national and immediately earned a very respectable ranking starting last year.)

A final item that I find interesting: JMU remains in the regional rankings at a very nice #7 in the south. I mention this as a means of maintaining my assertion that App is the closest thing to an academic peer that they have in FBS, which is why I still find the academic argument against their joining the Belt a little odd.

Almost all alum and students from Virginia based colleges and universities have the same arrogance and snottiness ******* attitudes. It's not fair just to color JMU alone in that light. They all have some undeserving superiority complex.
09-14-2017 08:12 AM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

(09-14-2017 08:12 AM)APPrising Wrote:  

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

Almost all alum and students from Virginia based colleges and universities have the same arrogance and snottiness ******* attitudes. It's not fair just to color JMU alone in that light. They all have some undeserving superiority complex.

I think it stems from so many Virginia state schools being named after founding fathers or other "private sounding names" rather than UVA-Harrisonburg, or UVA-Fairfax, or Southeast Virginia State. Virginia does have a fantastic university system, however.
09-14-2017 08:58 AM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

(09-14-2017 08:58 AM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I think it stems from so many Virginia state schools being named after founding fathers or other "private sounding names" rather than UVA-Harrisonburg, or UVA-Fairfax, or Southeast Virginia State. Virginia does have a fantastic university system, however.
They do. But North Carolina's system ain't too shabby either.

Sent from my LGLS992 using CSNbbs mobile app
09-14-2017 09:08 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
We still have a ways to go in losing the 80's and 90's rep. Reputation is nearly a quarter of the score. I would imagine most high school counselors still have the non college prep get in with a pulse idea of GS that ended in the early 2000's. One thing Pres Grube did right and not much else.

Our counselor rep score is #177 most of the other schools at #177 are nationally ranked we must be knocking at the door at least as we should be improving in all other areas as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 09:25 AM by JCGSU.)
09-14-2017 09:24 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I don't want to hear about snootiness from a state whose flagship schools puts powder blue argyle patterns on their sports jerseys
09-14-2017 10:16 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
(09-14-2017 10:16 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I don't want to hear about snootiness from a state whose flagship schools puts powder blue argyle patterns on their sports jerseys

We like to pretend that the powder blue school isn't really associated with us even though we are part of the same system. UNC-Cheat rivals or surpasses anyone I know in terms of arrogance. It's an excellent school (when not issuing fictitious degrees to athletes) but their attitude is downright delusional.
09-14-2017 12:15 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-13-2017 06:40 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  It has UAPB ranked higher than A-State, Hendrix, UCA? Something tells me...not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Agri research has to be driving that, particularly their aquaculture program.
09-14-2017 02:04 PM
Advertisement

APPrising Offline
1st String

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I'm the biggest UNC hater on this board. And now I hate you for comparing us to them.
09-15-2017 01:23 PM
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
(09-15-2017 01:23 PM)APPrising Wrote:  

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I'm the biggest UNC hater on this board. And now I hate you for comparing us to them.

I think you need to meet my buddy Gonzo.
09-15-2017 02:32 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I don't see anything wrong with saying that App is not likely to be recognized as a national University anytime in the near future. It's just missing too many key professional and graduate programs, and there are very few doctorates offered. No medical school. No law school. No engineering school. No architecture school. No agricultural sciences... App is really, really good at what it does do, and that is preparing undergraduates for their careers. Plenty go on to law school, med school, etc., but they do so elsewhere.
09-15-2017 08:44 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

(09-15-2017 02:32 PM)HighCountry Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 01:23 PM)APPrising Wrote:  

This thread is not:

3) "Academic smack."

I think you need to meet my buddy Gonzo.

UNC is not worth the energy of hating. I have NC State friends who expend far more energy hating UNC than they do enjoying their own team/school. It's kind of sad. I am no UNC fan, therefore they're not worthy of my energy.
09-15-2017 08:48 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(09-15-2017 08:44 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with saying that App is not likely to be recognized as a national University anytime in the near future. It's just missing too many key professional and graduate programs, and there are very few doctorates offered. No medical school. No law school. No engineering school. No architecture school. No agricultural sciences... App is really, really good at what it does do, and that is preparing undergraduates for their careers. Plenty go on to law school, med school, etc., but they do so elsewhere.

I agree, in fact, it's a source of pride for me. We have, and hopefully always will, focus on a tremendous undergraduate environment. As an incoming freshman your general college classes will be small, taught by a professor in most cases, and you will also find tons of support as you choose a major. We've added a nursing school, and other majors that have an impact on the region. The culture we've created and nurtured hopefully will never change.
09-15-2017 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.