UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hoops After Dark - Homecoming Week
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Hoops After Dark - Homecoming Week
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 02:49 PM by WesternBlazer.)
09-12-2017 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: Hoops After Dark - Homecoming Week
Just win C-USA.
09-12-2017 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

"Fans are invited to the Bartow Arena lawn at 6 p.m. to meet the UAB football team in conjunction with Blazer fan fest, which will include inflatable games, autograph signing by UAB coaches and student-athletes, food trucks and more."
09-12-2017 04:41 PM
blazerfrombirth Offline
Special Teams

Sounds like fun. I liked Hoops on the Green last year, but it was really hard to see what was going on if you didn't have a seat in the bleachers.
09-12-2017 09:18 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2017 09:18 PM)blazerfrombirth Wrote:  Sounds like fun. I liked Hoops on the Green last year, but it was really hard to see what was going on if you didn't have a seat in the bleachers.

"Hoops on the Haasephalt/Green" has run its course. I was hoping for the event to be beneath the pavillion, though...
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 09:24 PM by WesternBlazer.)
09-12-2017 09:23 PM
blazerfrombirth Offline
Special Teams

(09-12-2017 09:23 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(09-12-2017 09:18 PM)blazerfrombirth Wrote:  Sounds like fun. I liked Hoops on the Green last year, but it was really hard to see what was going on if you didn't have a seat in the bleachers.

"Hoops on the Haasephalt/Green" has run its course. I was hoping for the event to be beneath the pavillion, though...

Yeah, that would have been pretty awesome.
09-12-2017 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Everyone complained during the Davis years about the basketball team not having a kickoff event. It hasn't run its course and should have an event with its own identity separate from the football team.
09-13-2017 07:59 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
I thought Davis may have had one or two scrimmages or midnight madness. I remember going to one and in the dunk contest the late Taraus Dortch almost broke his neck off a dunk attempt.
09-13-2017 08:27 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I like it in that some of the football only folks will be on site. Would be nice to get them to some games. You would think we could average 6,000. :-/
09-13-2017 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(09-13-2017 09:05 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I like it in that some of the football only folks will be on site. Would be nice to get them to some games. You would think we could average 6,000. :-/

I've always had a hard time understanding how even when football was bad we would get 15-20k/game but our historically strong basketball program would only average 4-5k/game.

I know football games allow for people from out of town to make a day of it on a Saturday with tailgating, etc and those people probably aren't going to come to a Tuesday night basketball game. But there should still be enough UAB football fans in Birmingham for our basketball attendance to be much better than it is.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 09:41 AM by hooverblazer.)
09-13-2017 09:39 AM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

Some people just don't like Basketball.

I was a student at UAB before I went to my first bball game, but had went to football games for years.
09-13-2017 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-13-2017 09:39 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(09-13-2017 09:05 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I like it in that some of the football only folks will be on site. Would be nice to get them to some games. You would think we could average 6,000. :-/

I've always had a hard time understanding how even when football was bad we would get 15-20k/game but our historically strong basketball program would only average 4-5k/game.

I know football games allow for people from out of town to make a day of it on a Saturday with tailgating, etc and those people probably aren't going to come to a Tuesday night basketball game. But there should still be enough UAB football fans in Birmingham for our basketball attendance to be much better than it is.

The problem is Birmingham.
09-13-2017 11:34 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

As for the event, I'm excited they actually plan to have a scrimmage. I'm anxious to see Norton back and see how the new guys perform.
09-13-2017 11:37 AM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
The problem is NOT Birmingham, the PROBLEM is Birmingham mayn't love CUSA Basketball. As in any effort to sell, you must have a product someone wants, there must be a need for your product when compared to the other available products. Your product must be a better quality and affordable.
You have to educate the targeted group to take ownership of the team in this case that target is the student, they set the environment st most arena they makes the different.

Start with selling the team to the students, not Birmingham, UAB has a core group of 4500 that will show up for most games, the students dont show up..I have missed maybe 20 home games the last 10 years, and I can say the student section is the area that need improvement...and usually there is no reason for them not being there, most of the student population lives on campus, they are paying the fees to attend games, and most can walk to Bartow in less than 15 minutes.
So less focus on keeping the 4500 but getting a core group of 2000 students.
09-13-2017 12:37 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Oh no. Don't bash student attendance. Some folks are super sensitive
09-13-2017 12:39 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

The problem is most definitely that Birmingham is not a basketball city. In the first dozen years, they supported the team due to the celebrity of Bartow and it was the civic lay responsible thing to do. However those reasons grew old and we have averaged 4-6k for most of our existence.

I suspect that football draws more is because Birmingham loves football, but not necessarily UAB. Yes there are die hard UAB fans, but most are likely football fans that UAB offers a cheaper alternative to the team they would prefer seeing in person on Saturdays. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't transfer to them going to a basketball game (unless a big time opponent is in town) because the passion for roundball isn't there.

And that applies, to students, alumni and casuals.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 12:53 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
09-13-2017 12:52 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
I think MBs point is valid.
I'm just trying to decide whether I should gather facts now to show the person that's thinking about saying "I miss the Mike Anderson years when Bartow was packed every night"
09-13-2017 12:56 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

(09-13-2017 12:39 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  Oh no. Don't bash student attendance. Some folks are super sensitive

What incentives could we offer the entire student body for:

- "Selling out" the student section a certain number of times per year
- Causing us to have to expand the current student section
- Opponent missed free throws in halves where they face the student section (I'd actually love to see them have a ticker or hang something for an entire season for every free throw that was missed while facing them...players can't play defense on free throws, but the student section could. Student Section Blocked Shots - then start keeping records so we can rank each year's student section).
- ESPN appearances
- Outnumbering other attendees at any game

I mean, it would have to be something really worth it to get their attention. I think we could build attendance at UAB, we just actually have to put some work into it. People attend things these days for the experience, not out of loyalty.

With all that said....

I think the Hoops After Dark will be really cool. I like changing things up from time to time. Would be really cool if they could set the outdoor court up for kids to play on beforehand...unless they are using it for other events and need to keep a closer eye on it's condition.
09-13-2017 02:18 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Free assigned parking spots.
09-13-2017 02:20 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

We need to be thinking of solutions and sending suggestions. Usually more productive that just complaining.

Maybe we start a suggestion thread and let me send them the ideas? Just a thought.
09-13-2017 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.