OT - Liberty offered CUSA $24 million for an invite
09-08-2017 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleDogDare Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: OT - Liberty offered CUSA $24 million for an invite
So in the last ~7 years, Liberty has spent $200M on facilities, another $350M in annual costs (estimating $50M a year excluding the crazy game payouts), another $50M earmarked to stadium expansion and $25M to build out the football schedule (assuming Tech, UVA, BYU all required double the 1.5M that ODU agreed too). I'm guessing the wrote a check to NCAA to get the waiver, probably near the $25M they were willing to pay CUSA right? Soooo over a 10 year period, Liberty spend $1 BILLION for athletics?
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 08:53 AM by DoubleDogDare.)
09-08-2017 08:52 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

"Money can't buy you love!"
09-08-2017 08:54 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Liberty likely makes close to $1 billion a year from their online papermill with 100,000 students. They virtually have their own money printing machine and need somewhere to dump all that cash tax free. With this level of cash, they can buy success to a degree. This will be great marketing for them long term.
09-08-2017 08:57 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(09-08-2017 08:52 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  So in the last ~7 years, Liberty has spent $200M on facilities, another $350M in annual costs (estimating $50M a year excluding the crazy game payouts), another $50M earmarked to stadium expansion and $25M to build out the football schedule (assuming Tech, UVA, BYU all required double the 1.5M that ODU agreed too). I'm guessing the wrote a check to NCAA to get the waiver, probably near the $25M they were willing to pay CUSA right? Soooo over a 10 year period, Liberty spend $1 BILLION for athletics?

Pretty easy to do when you run a for profit online school under the wing of a non profit university. Even easier to do when the majority of online tuition comes on the back of federally backed programs.

I keep wondering how someone in the federal government hasn't looked into their tax status. This should be illegal.

"Most of the university’s dramatic growth has come through distance education, and its online students now make up most of Liberty’s student body. Three-quarters of undergraduates and 97 percent of graduate students at Liberty study exclusively through distance education, according the American Federation of Teachers.

But more astounding than the growth in students is the growth in federal aid. Data from the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia shows that federal aid has grown five times faster than enrollment.

In the late 1990s, Liberty students received less than $20 million in aid. Students now receive over $800 million dollars a year in federal aid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts...be6f9d8dcc
09-08-2017 08:58 AM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
What genius was it that said JMU, a state university, should follow the same model as Liberty? I'm sure the commonwealth would approve a $24 million payout to join an FBS conference... Or our donors who it took 4 years to pony up 1/3 of that for a new Convo.

Not sure what's more laughable...them offering $24MM and getting turned down or the general tone of that article. Pretty sure it was written by Liberty's marketing dept.
09-08-2017 09:00 AM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
Did I hear that they were thinking of making Tech, UVA, satellite campuses?
09-08-2017 10:03 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

what happens to LU when their privileged status is taken away by the gov't?
09-08-2017 10:12 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(09-08-2017 10:12 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  what happens to LU when their privileged status is taken away by the gov't?

I think there is a reason they are spending the $$$ as fast as they make it.
09-08-2017 10:15 AM
Dukie95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: all the Dukes
(09-08-2017 10:12 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  what happens to LU when their privileged status is taken away by the gov't?

Not happening any time soon.
09-08-2017 10:30 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

When your talking nearly $1B revenue, they can hire some pretty top notch lawyers and lobbyists to protect that privilege. Don't see the current administration doing anything to address it (DOJ / Dept of Ed)
09-08-2017 10:41 AM
Advertisement

bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

If the government tried to do that they would cry war on Christianity. I don't think the government will have the guts to go after them for awhile.
09-08-2017 10:44 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(09-08-2017 10:44 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  

If the government tried to do that they would cry war on Christianity. I don't think the government will have the guts to go after them for awhile.

Simple solution is to tie funding to student outcomes. That would ensure that federal $$$ goes to schools that add something to the US workforce, rather than schools that fleece tax payers.

Another simple solution is to examine true costs of online education and offer schools like Liberty an option. Reduce tuition, or change your tax status.

Finally, and perhaps the easiest, is to regulate the non profit status of schools who abuse the system.

Liberty takes federal tuition assistance and uses it to build athletic facilities and grow their cash cow. And they do it boldly.
09-08-2017 10:54 AM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world...but for independent FBS status?

I don't know whether what they're doing is expressly illegal, although all those consultants hired for that $B are probably helping them follow the letter of the law, if not it's spirit. But I think pretty much everyone taking coursework from Liberty is receiving exactly what they deserve.

As for how they're doing it, I can disagree whether we should be in the same conference with schools that have lower admission standards than ours, and whether our prior admins' stance on that may have hurt us. Clearly, though, we neither can nor should try to compete with this effort of Liberty's.
09-08-2017 10:57 AM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

Ugh. The whole system is so badly broken, and so inherently corrupt, that it's sickening. Your tax dollars at work, folks. I know no one cares about the fact that we're $20 Trillion in debt, but if you want an example of why, visit Lynchburg sometime, or check out what degrees the federal government will buy for you on Liberty's "online campus".

If that's what going FBS requires, then may we remain FCS forever and ever and ever.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 12:08 PM by Madison 91 Forever.)
09-08-2017 12:07 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

Nothing will happen to Liberty as long as Trump is in WH and Republicans have enough control over congress. Something that's being missed here is the purpose of football for Liberty- it's not about having a great program or winning bowl games, it's just another means of evangelizing on a national scale. They have a cash cow and will buy their way to national prominence. I have much less of a problem with their message vs the dubious way they're doing it.
09-08-2017 12:30 PM
Advertisement

JMU_71 Offline
1st String

Well, it's not just Liberty benefiting from massive amounts of government backed student loans. Every school out there that takes federal subsidizes through the student loan program are benefiting. Why do you think tuition rates have gone up exponentially over the last twenty years? The more something gets subsidize the higher its costs.
09-08-2017 12:35 PM
mdc105 Offline
Water Engineer

You guys want some good entertainment...go over to the CUSA Conference Talk page. There's a thread about adding JMU and Liberty. It sounds like their whole conference hates each other.
09-08-2017 12:37 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(09-08-2017 12:35 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  Well, it's not just Liberty benefiting from massive amounts of government backed student loans. Every school out there that takes federal subsidizes through the student loan program are benefiting. Why do you think tuition rates have gone up exponentially over the last twenty years? The more something gets subsidize the higher its costs.

Slight difference is the scale of million(s) vs thousands, and the way private/non-profit play into it. With no oversight or accountability the potential for that kind of money to taint higher education is kind of scary. Especially in a case where the organization is mandated to evangelize.
09-08-2017 12:43 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2017 12:43 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 12:35 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  Well, it's not just Liberty benefiting from massive amounts of government backed student loans. Every school out there that takes federal subsidizes through the student loan program are benefiting. Why do you think tuition rates have gone up exponentially over the last twenty years? The more something gets subsidize the higher its costs.

Slight difference is the scale of million(s) vs thousands, and the way private/non-profit play into it. With no oversight or accountability the potential for that kind of money to taint higher education is kind of scary. Especially in a case where the organization is mandated to evangelize.

We're actually talking about almost $1 Billion (800M+) in annual federal subsidies here at Liberty for 100,000 online students.

I'm ok with federal money making college more affordable for those that need it. I'm also ok to an extent with schools offering online degrees. But when you combine the two at this magnitude it raises a lot of questions about the ethics of online education.

Minimally, it seems like there should be a Cox bill at the federal level limiting how much federal funding for online education can be spent on auxiliary expenses like buildings and sports. Cross-subsiding to this extent should be restricted. They are taking federal money for online degree programs and using it in ways that does not benefit those students.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 12:58 PM by JMURocks.)
09-08-2017 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.