I Root For: SEC
Another Realignment Thread: Why? Just Because
B1G:
East: Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers
South: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Purdue
North: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin
West: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Northwestern

Why Notre Dame and Kansas?

If we move to a P4 model and Notre Dame has to go all in the money is better in the Big 10. The Big 10 offers them another New England division in which to showcase their school. It will likely offer a scheduling alliance with the PAC. And Notre Dame can schedule SEC schools to play in Florida and Georgia. And the academic consortium would be a plus and all of their sports would be together again.

Kansas? It's their overarching preference.

SEC:
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
North: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
South: L.S.U., Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M
West: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Why? Oklahoma and Oklahoma State need to stay together and Oklahoma gives us all we need to carry DFW completely with A&M.

PAC:
East: Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech
North: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
South: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah
West: California, Cal Los Angeles, Southern California, Stanford

Why? Because Texas is a pain the rear and the PAC is the only one who has really shown enough interest to take some of the Pals. They pick up two AAU schools and 33.5 million viewers.

ACC:
North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse
West: Louisville, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
East: Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia
South: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, T.C.U.

Why West Virginia and T.C.U.? West Virginia reconnects them, offers a solid baseball, basketball and football program. Reestablishes the backyard brawl. And T.C.U. fits in with a conference where it is connected to F.S.U. by an interstate and to Miami and Georgia Tech by major airports. And the ACCN will need the DFW metro to add cash to their pockets.

That places 9 Big 12 schools. It makes the Big 10 carriage within their footprint complete which raises their leverage within their own footprint. IT gives the ACC the footprint expansion it needs for its network. The SEC gets what it is really going after without offending A&M. And the PAC gets enough to improve their carriage. And Texas like the Elves in the Lord of the Rings goes into the West hopefully never to be heard from again.
09-06-2017 08:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Transic_nyc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Not ESEACCPN
RE: Another Realignment Thread: Why? Just Because
I have thought for a while that if there are to be a larger distribution of the Big XII programs that the flagships may have to be split evenly amongst the remaining P conferences. Your idea looks to be a tacit acknowledgement of this reality. I'll comment further when I'm back from visiting my sister.
09-07-2017 02:48 AM
AllTideUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Alabama
I just don't see Notre Dame in the B1G. They've had opportunities to join before.

Ultimately, I think they joined the ACC for the same reason Delaney wanted to get into NC and VA...demographics. They not only need the talent in the South, but they need the exposure in those markets.
09-07-2017 07:05 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(09-07-2017 07:05 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I just don't see Notre Dame in the B1G. They've had opportunities to join before.

Ultimately, I think they joined the ACC for the same reason Delaney wanted to get into NC and VA...demographics. They not only need the talent in the South, but they need the exposure in those markets.
Before joining the ACC Swarbrick visited Slive. He essentially wanted some leverage and a safety net if negotiations didn't go well with the ACC, and he wanted the scoop on the ACC. The safety net aspect was centered around a scheduling agreement with SEC schools that were in the areas in which N.D. wanted a presence, namely Georgia and Florida. The only thing the mid Atlantic states provide them is a strong base for their lacrosse, which the Big 10 took a major step toward providing when John's Hopkins affiliated with them for that sport.

Remember too what added Value and Stability to the ACC, Notre Dame. Notre Dame does for the Big 10 what ESPN wants to gain by holding onto Texas. It gives the Big 10 control over add rates within their footprint essentially giving them a monopoly through the Northern Midwest.

I'm thinking ESPN is realizing that another major brand in the SEC adds significantly to content value. Possibly more than 5 games does with the ACC. I also think they are realizing that Texas is so toxic in behavior and productivity in actual sports performance that perhaps they are best treated by utilizing them to try to build into the draw out West. Texas has been trying to twist ESPN a bit through the threat of the Big 10. Delany knows that Texas is a major brand but the Big 10 if given a choice would probably much rather have Notre Dame. And by placing Texas in the PAC ESPN and FOX continue to share 50/50 rights and if the PACN can shift to ESPN that may be enough to get it done as it would involve utilizing the transformation of the LHN.

So FOX gains N.D.. The Big 10 gains N.D. N.D. makes significantly more money because they are worth significantly more to the Big 10. The ACCN gets entry into a much more viable market, but does so in a non threatening way to the SEC. Texas is removed like Napoleon to Elba Island in the West. A&M is happy. The two Oklahomas stay together and play a more regional schedule. And 9 of the Big 12 schools are placed. T.C.U. has no travel difficulty since Miami & Georgia Tech are all direct domestic flights and F.S.U. is down I10. And there is no reason not to bundle the SECN and ACCN.
09-07-2017 09:41 AM

BePcr07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If the B1G gains Notre Dame, I bet Notre Dame becomes #15 before they decide on a #16. Notre Dame would likely have a lot of say in who #16 was. Notre Dame would likely be more interested in a Northeast school like Connecticut than a Midwest school like Kansas. So I'm going with Notre Dame + Connecticut to the B1G. Oklahoma + Oklahoma St to the SEC. West Virginia + Cincinnati to the ACC. Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Kansas, and Kansas St to the PAC. To span 3 time zones, the PAC would need more Central schools. Baylor and Iowa St left out.

B1G
West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue
East: Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Connecticut

SEC
West: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St
East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

ACC
Atlantic: Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida St, Louisville, North Carolina St, Syracuse, Wake Forest
Coastal: Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

PAC
Northwest: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford
Southwest: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado
Central: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Kansas, Kansas St
09-07-2017 10:55 AM
YNot Offline
1st String

I Root For: BYU
If the SEC and PAC both invade and provide power landing spots for most of the B12, why do we think that both Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. will end up in the SEC?

Kansas brings tremendous value to the SECN, and the Kansas-Missouri rivalry has value. I don't think either the PAC or SEC would be content to double dip in Kansas and miss Oklahoma entirely, and vice-versa. If Oklahoma St. finds a home in the PAC, that is likely enough to permit Oklahoma to leave for the SEC (or vice-versa).

SEC
West: Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St., Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas
East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

-Adds football King, basketball King, contiguous AAU school, SECN gets Oklahoma and Kansas markets - adds rivalry.

PAC
Central: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma St., Kansas St., Iowa St.

- Adds biggest realignment prize, two AAU schools, PACN gets Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa markets. Texas controls its division.
09-07-2017 02:12 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(09-07-2017 07:05 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I just don't see Notre Dame in the B1G. They've had opportunities to join before.

Norte Dame's branding is a result of playing a more national schedule every year vs a regional one in the Big Ten.
09-07-2017 02:29 PM

BePcr07 Offline
2nd String

(09-07-2017 02:12 PM)YNot Wrote:  If the SEC and PAC both invade and provide power landing spots for most of the B12, why do we think that both Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. will end up in the SEC?

Kansas brings tremendous value to the SECN, and the Kansas-Missouri rivalry has value. I don't think either the PAC or SEC would be content to double dip in Kansas and miss Oklahoma entirely, and vice-versa. If Oklahoma St. finds a home in the PAC, that is likely enough to permit Oklahoma to leave for the SEC (or vice-versa).

SEC
West: Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St., Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas

-Adds football King, basketball King, contiguous AAU school, SECN gets Oklahoma and Kansas markets - adds rivalry.

PAC

- Adds biggest realignment prize, two AAU schools, PACN gets Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa markets. Texas controls its division.

Per the bolded portion above: Oklahoma really wants to play both Texas and Oklahoma St every year. That would require 2 OOC games should they be in a different conference from both which would likely be a big no-no for the Sooners. I would expect the Cowboys to be the more likely partner with Oklahoma in the SEC than the Longhorns. Having 1 OOC game with either Texas or Oklahoma St would likely be tolerable.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 02:31 PM by BePcr07.)
09-07-2017 02:30 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(09-07-2017 02:30 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 02:12 PM)YNot Wrote:  If the SEC and PAC both invade and provide power landing spots for most of the B12, why do we think that both Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. will end up in the SEC?

SEC

PAC

Per the bolded portion above: Oklahoma really wants to play both Texas and Oklahoma St every year. That would require 2 OOC games should they be in a different conference from both which would likely be a big no-no for the Sooners. I would expect the Cowboys to be the more likely partner with Oklahoma in the SEC than the Longhorns. Having 1 OOC game with either Texas or Oklahoma St would likely be tolerable.

The SEC CCG might be more interesting if the best of Alabama/Florida/Georgia/Auburn played Oklahoma/LSU/Arkansas/Texas A&M
09-07-2017 02:45 PM
BePcr07 Offline
2nd String

(09-07-2017 02:45 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  The SEC CCG might be more interesting if the best of Alabama/Florida/Georgia/Auburn played Oklahoma/LSU/Arkansas/Texas A&M

I agree.

The winner of the West would likely be Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, or Texas A&M but could be Oklahoma St, Missouri, Mississippi, or Mississippi St. The winner of the East would likely be Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, or Florida but could be Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, or South Carolina.

I would think the SEC may consider a non-divisional format. Play a 10-game schedule: 5 annual rivals and switch the other 10 (5 and 5) every other year. Play every other school every 2 years and home-and-home every 4 years.
09-07-2017 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.