I think recruting for UH basketball just improved

Houston Strong
09-05-2017 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Tilman Fertitta to purchase Rockets
(09-05-2017 10:13 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I think recruting for UH basketball just improved

How's that? He just lost a ton of his net worth that could've been used for more basketball related gifts. I'm also interested in how being the owner of a professional sports team would affect his given to a college's said sports team. Great for the city though, I think it'll definitely rejuvenate a franchise back on the rise.
09-05-2017 10:45 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(09-05-2017 10:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 10:13 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I think recruting for UH basketball just improved

How's that? He just lost a ton of his net worth that could've been used for more basketball related gifts. I'm also interested in how being the owner of a professional sports team would affect his given to a college's said sports team. Great for the city though, I think it'll definitely rejuvenate a franchise back on the rise.

Current roster has Rockets well set to be a force in NBA for a long while, I doubt basketball gifts will be a problem moving forward, IMO.

Recruting - I'm not 100% sure it will elevate UH recruting efforts instantly but Tilman been an a Coog most certainly could be use as a strong pitch to attract talent who've left our city to away programs... Also allowing UH permission to use Toyota Center for few practices could most definitely help too, IMHO
09-05-2017 11:09 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(09-05-2017 11:09 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Current roster has Rockets well set to be a force in NBA for a long while, I doubt basketball gifts will be a problem moving forward, IMO.

Recruting - I'm not 100% sure it will elevate UH recruting efforts instantly but Tilman been an a Coog most certainly could be use as a strong pitch to attract talent who've left our city to away programs... Also allowing UH permission to use Toyota Center for few practices could most definitely help too, IMHO

It'll be interesting to see how Paul and Harden, two of the most ball dominant players in the NBA, will work together in the backcourt...but one thing is for sure, the roster is now extremely talented and well conceived for some serious pushes. I can't wait to see the inevitable Houston/SA/OKC/Golden State runs in the playoffs.
09-05-2017 11:26 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(09-05-2017 11:26 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 11:09 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

It'll be interesting to see how Paul and Harden, two of the most ball dominant players in the NBA, will work together in the backcourt...but one thing is for sure, the roster is now extremely talented and well conceived for some serious pushes. I can't wait to see the inevitable Houston/SA/OKC/Golden State runs in the playoffs.

... both Paul n Harden are still in question at how well they're going to work together... Some have gone far enough and say that it was a mistake by the Rockets going after Paul.
09-05-2017 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
@Hoopmanx 1h1 hour ago
More
The Houston Rockets were just sold to university of Houston's biggest revenue booster who never made the cougars worth a damn in hoops
09-05-2017 11:36 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
So he gave up on the coogs. Sad.
09-05-2017 11:49 AM
Philipvarg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Univ of Houston
(09-05-2017 11:36 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  @Hoopmanx 1h1 hour ago
More
The Houston Rockets were just sold to university of Houston's biggest revenue booster who never made the cougars worth a damn in hoops

More to come on this... Tillman just paid UH to renovate the arena.. our recruiting is moving in the right direction... i think you will see improvement with the investments and hires we have made.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 01:02 PM by Philipvarg.)
09-05-2017 01:01 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
More

Tough crowd, we haven't even opened the Fertitta Center yet.
09-05-2017 01:09 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL

LOL "lost".

Tilman's gifts to UH are pocket change in the grand scheme of things. He is the sole shareholder of a corporation that does $3.5 billion/year in revenue.
09-05-2017 01:12 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(09-05-2017 01:09 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
More

Tough crowd, we haven't even opened the Fertitta Center yet.

Can't believe you took the bait on THE hoopmanx trolling, Kronke

But you right though, Fertitta Center isn't yet open... Going to be real nice once finished.

Houston Strong
09-05-2017 06:31 PM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
Tilman isn't even close to being UH's biggest booster. He's not even the biggest athletic donor. He's more bluster than bang although I do appreciate his gift in naming the arena (which timed nicely with Aramark losing the campus contract for food... things that make you go hmmmm....
09-05-2017 11:19 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(09-05-2017 11:19 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Tilman isn't even close to being UH's biggest booster. He's not even the biggest athletic donor. He's more bluster than bang although I do appreciate his gift in naming the arena (which timed nicely with Aramark losing the campus contract for food... things that make you go hmmmm....

Gives single biggest atheltic donation in school history but isnt close to UH's biggest donor? Hmm..

It helps because the more Fertitias name is associated w winning/wealth the more his brand helps UH. He's not super famous like Cuban, but buying the rockets moves the needle for his brand, and thus UH.
09-06-2017 01:51 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(09-05-2017 01:12 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

LOL "lost".

Tilman's gifts to UH are pocket change in the grand scheme of things. He is the sole shareholder of a corporation that does $3.5 billion/year in revenue.

His net worth is $3.2B...he just leveraged two thirds of it to buy an NBA team. He's obviously not starved for cash, but the guy put most of his liquidity into the NBA franchise.
09-06-2017 09:01 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(09-06-2017 09:01 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 01:12 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

LOL "lost".

His net worth is $3.2B...he just leveraged two thirds of it to buy an NBA team. He's obviously not starved for cash, but the guy put most of his liquidity into the NBA franchise.

more than likely will add local owner partners as minority stakeholders to spread the liability and will retain major control... no worries.. he got this..
09-06-2017 10:54 AM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
He's still the Chairman of the BOR, he'll be involved at UH in some capcity behind the scenes or in front leading, until the good Lord takes him home or his health won't let him, which I hope will never happen for him or anyone else. He may try to build some synergies between the UH BB and the Rockets, only time will tell. Wish him the best on his purchase. By the way, he may have used 2/3 of his wealth to purchase the team, but you don't, think for a minute he had offers or could have brought in partners who would have been happy to be minority owners, but he decided not too and he stills has the option for the future, if he wants. He's got this!
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 11:24 AM by BIgCatonProwl.)
09-06-2017 11:23 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
You need some more pics in your signature line
09-06-2017 11:25 AM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
(09-06-2017 11:25 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  You need some more pics in your signature line

04-cheers
09-06-2017 11:39 AM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
(09-06-2017 01:51 AM)vcoog Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 11:19 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Tilman isn't even close to being UH's biggest booster. He's not even the biggest athletic donor. He's more bluster than bang although I do appreciate his gift in naming the arena (which timed nicely with Aramark losing the campus contract for food... things that make you go hmmmm....

Gives single biggest atheltic donation in school history but isnt close to UH's biggest donor? Hmm..

It helps because the more Fertitias name is associated w winning/wealth the more his brand helps UH. He's not super famous like Cuban, but buying the rockets moves the needle for his brand, and thus UH.

he gave $20 million in 2016.

The Moores family gave over $51 million in 1991 to UH. Over half of it went to athletics.

Other families that have donated $20+ million to UH include the Cullen, Robertson, Winston, O'Quinn, McGovern, Hines, and Mitchell families.
09-06-2017 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.