Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pappy's Predictions - #12
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
#12 - Little Rock

I'm sorry, Trojan fans, but the numbers just are not there to justify picking us any higher. Do I think we will end up here? No, I don't. But I try to be consistently by the numbers on these guesses, with just a little dose of gut feel, and there is just no other place to put us

POSITIVES: There is a ton of potential on this roster. IF, if, if things come together this could be a first division team. Mompremier is a proven interior defender and rebounder. Oliver Black has tons of upside. Together they could be one of the better inside tandems in the Belt. Deondre Burns came on strong at the end of last season. Some of our recruits sport some nice numbers. Andre Jones is a tremendous athlete. There are a lot of things here upon which Flanigan can build, and yes, there are reasons to be encouraged.

NEGATIVES. Zero returning starters from a sub-.500 team. That one statement hangs like a cloud over this prediction. Most of those positives listed above are "maybe" positives. There are going to be a ton of minutes played this season by players who have not had a single minute of D1 experience. Plus, this coaching staff has yet to prove that they can get the job done.

I tried hard to convince myself that we ought to go a notch of two higher, but just could not. Again, I do not think we will end up in the cellar, because some of the positive factors will indeed happen. Until they do, however, it was the only thing I could do. Obviously, this is one prediction where I want to be very, very wrong.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 06:51 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
09-04-2017 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UALR92 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Little Rock
RE: Pappy's Predictions - 12th
if your prediction comes true the program will again fall into obscurity and it may prove difficult to overcome that again.
09-04-2017 01:45 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Pappy's Predictions - #12
No one will accuse you of being a "homer" this time around. Like you, I do expect us to finish higher than last place. Based on what, I'm not sure. I would imagine, most of the "experts" will pick us at, or near, the bottom based on losing all our starters. Still, I am quite hopeful that we have brought in some good young talent and will surprise. We shall see.
09-05-2017 12:09 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Out of Burns, Black, Lottie, Reedus and Gilmore, a couple of them are going to be pretty good. Just not sure who, or how much.
09-05-2017 02:00 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

God help us for things falling apart this bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-05-2017 04:12 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Don't panic yet. Getting discouraged over a prediction of mine is pretty risky. Part of my problem is that I have no real good way of evaluating recruits, and when a team is heavy on newcomers, I automatically tend to soft-peddle them, even if it actually might not be warranted.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 09:54 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
09-05-2017 09:53 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-05-2017 09:53 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Don't panic yet. Getting discouraged over a prediction of mine is pretty risky. Part of my problem is that I have no real good way of evaluating recruits, and when a team is heavy on newcomers, I automatically tend to soft-peddle them, even if it actually might not be warranted.

I think we likely have some talent coming in. How it compares to other teams and how quick we can get our team to gel, I don't have clue.
09-05-2017 10:46 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Mainly I just do this to get the conversation started.
09-06-2017 06:53 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2017 06:53 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Mainly I just do this to get the conversation started.

Prediction of a last place finish should get the conversation started. Maybe even more than a prediction of a first place finish. A middle of the road prediction would likely generate little conversation.
09-06-2017 08:51 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(09-06-2017 08:51 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 06:53 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Mainly I just do this to get the conversation started.

Prediction of a last place finish should get the conversation started. Maybe even more than a prediction of a first place finish. A middle of the road prediction would likely generate little conversation.

Was at WalMart today and saw Athlons Preseason Mag. Little Rock was picked 11th.
09-07-2017 08:29 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

When you lost five starters that is to be expected.
09-07-2017 09:29 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Was wondering what the mags would say. Figured they would be close to Pappy's prediction. Low expectations and less pressure on Wes. I think he'll surprise some folks this season.
09-07-2017 11:02 PM
UALR92 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Little Rock
if he doesn't do a better job of coaching and making adjustments the only surprises will be ones you don't like.
09-14-2017 09:56 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(09-07-2017 11:02 PM)mjs Wrote:  Was wondering what the mags would say. Figured they would be close to Pappy's prediction. Low expectations and less pressure on Wes. I think he'll surprise some folks this season.

Lindy's also picks us 11th.
09-15-2017 11:54 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2017 11:54 AM)PTJR Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 11:02 PM)mjs Wrote:  Was wondering what the mags would say. Figured they would be close to Pappy's prediction. Low expectations and less pressure on Wes. I think he'll surprise some folks this season.

Lindy's also picks us 11th.

So the experts, Pappy, Athlon, and Lindy's are pretty darn consistent. Hopefully, they are all quite a bit off. Obviously, no one is expecting us to win the conference, but a move into the top half of the league would be nice. Really have no idea how realistic that is at this point in time, but no reason not be optimistic in September.
09-15-2017 01:43 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(09-15-2017 01:43 PM)mjs Wrote:  Obviously, no one is expecting us to win the conference, but a move into the top half of the league would be nice. Really have no idea how realistic that is at this point in time, but no reason not be optimistic in September.

Our front line actually should be very competitive. We will win more than we are expected to.
09-15-2017 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.