Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT : BYU
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
OT : BYU
Let me first off say that I would love to have BYU in the AAC, but....

With them being indy, they are already out of the 4 team playoff and without a conference they can't get a new years access bowl. So what is the point of the indy status? Obviously they have a decent schedule, but this has to be a recruiting killer to have nothing to play for after week #1.
09-02-2017 11:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: OT : BYU
RE: BYU

Sucks
09-02-2017 11:31 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

ECU will win at least 2 games this year. One might be BYU....
09-02-2017 11:34 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
BYU has zero weapons on offense.
09-02-2017 11:36 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(09-02-2017 11:36 PM)fanhood Wrote:  BYU has zero weapons on offense.

LSU suspended a lot of players and they didn't look good. But BYU is awful this year. I honestly believe ECU has a chance to beat them.
09-02-2017 11:39 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(09-02-2017 11:39 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 11:36 PM)fanhood Wrote:  BYU has zero weapons on offense.

LSU suspended a lot of players and they didn't look good. But BYU is awful this year. I honestly believe ECU has a chance to beat them.

BYU will struggle to get Bowl Eligible.
09-02-2017 11:44 PM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Byu never crossed the 50 against lsu yesterday
09-03-2017 04:24 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Bottom line: BYU will have to eventually place its football program into an FBS-level conference, or else fall completely off the national radar.

Now, the key word there is Eventually. They don't have to do it right now. But they need to be continually evaluating their options and I'm sure they are.

Second to that, LSU is especially good this year and BYU is down, so last night's disaster was just sort of a perfect storm. It happens sometimes.
09-03-2017 07:17 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
If I recall correctly, BYU makes more money as an independent than a G-5 member due to their world wide appeal. However, a few poor seasons may make them realize the appeal of the AAC conference and set off, I think, a raid by the AAC of SDSU.

Eventually, I believe, a raid/merger of the better G-5 programs will occur to create a true P-6 to help cope with the growing resource gap enjoyed by P-5 schools.
09-03-2017 07:48 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-03-2017 07:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  If I recall correctly, BYU makes more money as an independent than a G-5
True.

Quote:Eventually, I believe, a raid/merger of the better G-5 programs will occur to create a true P-6 to help cope with the growing resource gap enjoyed by P-5 schools.
If AAC takes care of business, then the American will become the "true P-6". Obvious question: will that actually happen? Impossible to say for certain, but on balance I think we've got a better-than-50/50 shot.
09-03-2017 07:56 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
BYU has a big problem and is called Utah

For BYU admitting that they are at a lower rung than Utah is a pill too bitter to swallow. So they much rather be called an independent with a tv contract and playing 3-4 games a year from the big money conferences than joining the AAC or any of the nonPower conferences.

Sure they are giving away their access to the New Year's Day bowls since the only way they can make that is as an at large and that's going to be close to impossible.

Things that might make them change their minds?
1. The AAC power6 movement continues and the media and public at large starts lumping it with the other 5 power leagues
2. The TV contract the AAC gets its now better than what BYU gets now and keeps pushing the image above.
3. The AAC champ starts becoming the de facto New Years bowl representative on most years and better lower bowl deals are obtained.

In my thinking all of the above must happen for BYU to join and yes having them join will increase league prestige even if they are struggling now.
09-03-2017 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
BYU is a dirty football program, and their leadership is filled with holier than thou nut jobs.

I don't want them in the AAC.

There are just as good options out there without he dirty play, and less headaches to deal with.
09-03-2017 08:19 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(09-03-2017 07:57 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  BYU has a big problem and is called Utah

For BYU admitting that they are at a lower rung than Utah is a pill too bitter to swallow. So they much rather be called an independent with a tv contract and playing 3-4 games a year from the big money conferences than joining the AAC or any of the nonPower conferences.

Sure they are giving away their access to the New Year's Day bowls since the only way they can make that is as an at large and that's going to be close to impossible.

1. The AAC power6 movement continues and the media and public at large starts lumping it with the other 5 power leagues
2. The TV contract the AAC gets its now better than what BYU gets now and keeps pushing the image above.
3. The AAC champ starts becoming the de facto New Years bowl representative on most years and better lower bowl deals are obtained.

In my thinking all of the above must happen for BYU to join and yes having them join will increase league prestige even if they are struggling now.

Spot on points Cubanbull… +2…. In fact, when Utah was elevated to the PAC 12, BYU declared its football independence; it couldn’t accept being left behind….
09-03-2017 08:27 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(09-03-2017 08:27 AM)Underdog Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:57 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  BYU has a big problem and is called Utah

Spot on points Cubanbull… +2…. In fact, when Utah was elevated to the PAC 12, BYU declared its football independence; it couldn’t accept being left behind….

It was legislative pressure by Sen Hatch that pushed Utah over the finish line. From an outsider perspective, I was surprised he choose Utah over BYU for his target.
09-03-2017 12:46 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
The only way the AAC would be lucrative to BYU is if the playoffs expand and we have a bid.

Honestly I could see if the playoffs don't expand some of our teams leaving for independent especially if BYU has success doing it - BYU controls their own destiny. Sure they won't be in the playoffs this year, but neither will any G5 team.

On the other hand, if byu ran the table they would be treated like a power conference, when we run the table we still don't get into the playoffs. BYU as an independent has a higher ceiling than BYU as a G5.
09-03-2017 01:14 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(09-03-2017 01:14 PM)vcoog Wrote:  The only way the AAC would be lucrative to BYU is if the playoffs expand and we have a bid.

Honestly I could see if the playoffs don't expand some of our teams leaving for independent especially if BYU has success doing it - BYU controls their own destiny. Sure they won't be in the playoffs this year, but neither will any G5 team.

On the other hand, if byu ran the table they would be treated like a power conference, when we run the table we still don't get into the playoffs. BYU as an independent has a higher ceiling than BYU as a G5.
If we have a playoff bid, we don't need BYU

BYU only runs the table on a weak schedule. They didn't belong on the field with LSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 01:23 PM by shere khan.)
09-03-2017 01:22 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-03-2017 01:14 PM)vcoog Wrote:  The only way the AAC would be lucrative to BYU is if the playoffs expand and we have a bid.

They have no chance at an access bowl. They don't get the extra million from the playoff money. They have nothing to play for already and we are just finishing week 1. If we can get our tv deal in the $6 million range we would create more revenue sharing for them. Access to a conference championship game.
09-03-2017 01:36 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-02-2017 11:34 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  ECU will win at least 2 games this year. One might be BYU....

After yesterday and JMU - AH - NO - on BYU. 04-jawdrop COGS 02-13-banana 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 01:40 PM by panite.)
09-03-2017 01:40 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I wouldn't mind BYU. They're controversial, but we have more than enough "good guy" schools in this conference. This conference needs a real villain.
09-03-2017 01:49 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-03-2017 07:17 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Bottom line: BYU will have to eventually place its football program into an FBS-level conference, or else fall completely off the national radar.

Now, the key word there is Eventually. They don't have to do it right now. But they need to be continually evaluating their options and I'm sure they are.

Second to that, LSU is especially good this year and BYU is down, so last night's disaster was just sort of a perfect storm. It happens sometimes.

They are holding out for a B-12 invite in with Texas and Oklahoma still in the B-12 fold. If that doesn't happen then they will look at other alternatives including a B-12 opportunity missing Texas and Oklahoma filled in with 3 - 6 AAC teams down the road. The ego of Texas is too big to play second fiddle in any other conference so if they stay in the B-12, then Oklahoma stays there too carrying the B-12 through another big TV contract. The B-12 does pick up at least 2 more schools if that happens and it could still be BYU and Cinn in the North division with Kansas, K-ST, Iowa ST, and WV. The Texas and Oklahoma schools comprise the South Division if this scenario works out. 07-coffee3
09-03-2017 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.