Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Impressions
Bookmark and Share
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
First Impressions
At halftime with just a 19-7 lead, I didn't think I was watching a UT team that could win the MAC. That half reminded me of the 1st half of the Stony Brook "non-game" where the Rockets struggled to put away an FCS team early. Not sure trading FGs for TDs is going to work well the rest of the season. Good news is there's time to improve.

Biggest disappointment: our O line, which struggled to win the line of scrimmage and provided spotty pass protection. Much of what the RBs got was on their effort, not because great holes were opened. Win or lose these next 3 games, the O line must improve before MAC play begins.

Biggest surprise: maybe not true surprises, but the play of Thompkins and D Johnson. Both provided sparks & results after limited action in their young careers to date.

Other thoughts:

Woodside managed the game well enough, but wasn't helped by an O line that hurried him & receivers not named Thompson being largely unable to separate from defenders.

D played solid as they should have against a 2-win FCS program. Really only had a few bad plays in the first half. Still a bit concerned about the secondary--most of Elon's problem with passing was QBs missing open receivers.

Vest made all his FGs. Good start.

As others have asked: where was the cannon?

And did anyone else think there should have been a bit more hoopla with this being the 1st game of the 100th season? It was barely acknowledged. Are they saving that for one specific game later in the season for some reason?
08-31-2017 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: First Impressions
I think it was about what I expected. Woodside, Thompson, Johnson, and the running game will be enough to carry Toledo through most of the games. The difference will be if they can develop a slot receiver or TE to open up the middle. I didn't see that tonight. I would agree that the O-Line will have to prove itself as well. Can it dominate? Only then will they be able to maximize the offense and make it a threat against tougher opponents. The defense, as expected, will have to continue to improve. There were about 3-4 plays that would have been touchdowns against Toledo had it not been Elon. I see Toledo with losses to Tulsa (if Tulsa is similar to last years' Tulsa team, Miami FL, Western Michigan, and probably a second MAC team. This will not be a walk in the park, but they could still win the MAC.
08-31-2017 10:26 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

Ahhhhhh.... the we're not very good thread has started already.
08-31-2017 11:02 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-31-2017 10:22 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  At halftime with just a 19-7 lead, I didn't think I was watching a UT team that could win the MAC. That half reminded me of the 1st half of the Stony Brook "non-game" where the Rockets struggled to put away an FCS team early. Not sure trading FGs for TDs is going to work well the rest of the season. Good news is there's time to improve.

Biggest disappointment: our O line, which struggled to win the line of scrimmage and provided spotty pass protection. Much of what the RBs got was on their effort, not because great holes were opened. Win or lose these next 3 games, the O line must improve before MAC play begins.

Biggest surprise: maybe not true surprises, but the play of Thompkins and D Johnson. Both provided sparks & results after limited action in their young careers to date.

Other thoughts:

Woodside managed the game well enough, but wasn't helped by an O line that hurried him & receivers not named Thompson being largely unable to separate from defenders.

D played solid as they should have against a 2-win FCS program. Really only had a few bad plays in the first half. Still a bit concerned about the secondary--most of Elon's problem with passing was QBs missing open receivers.

Vest made all his FGs. Good start.

As others have asked: where was the cannon?

And did anyone else think there should have been a bit more hoopla with this being the 1st game of the 100th season? It was barely acknowledged. Are they saving that for one specific game later in the season for some reason?

The 100 Year Anniversary team will be honored at the Tulsa game. Made better sense to do it at a Saturday game.
08-31-2017 11:11 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
No more cannon. Cannons are scary. Each time the Rockets score we now release a sky lantern with a happy face.

(I really don't know. I made that up.)
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017 11:32 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
08-31-2017 11:15 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

Surprisingly, the D seemed ahead of the O although, I agree with others: if Elon could pass it might have been a closer game. Our special teams had mixed results- some nice punt returns, the KO TD being pluses, Johnson's indecisiveness on his other return and the Brain-dead attempt to pick up a bouncing punt in traffic plus the comically awful punt being the downsides. Depth at RB and receiver seem to be what we anticipated but no targets to the TE and four field goals show just how good Roberts was.
08-31-2017 11:16 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Biggest concern going into the season was the run defense. Doesn't seem like it has improved. Elon had 128 rushing yards against us. Elon. Imagine what Miami & Western will do to us and any other team with a formidable rushing attack.

Sophomore #34 Jordan Williams is a hard-hitter. He was a lot of fun to watch tonight. As was Dionate Johnson, among others. The team has potential but has a lot of work cut out for them.
09-01-2017 12:17 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(09-01-2017 12:17 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Biggest concern going into the season was the run defense. Doesn't seem like it has improved. Elon had 128 rushing yards against us. Elon. Imagine what Miami & Western will do to us and any other team with a formidable rushing attack.

Sophomore #34 Jordan Williams is a hard-hitter. He was a lot of fun to watch tonight. As was Dionate Johnson, among others. The team has potential but has a lot of work cut out for them.

Agree-Jordan Williams was very impressive, especially in the first half. I think he bit hard on the double pass but hopefully he learns from that and no damage done. He definitely played some nice run support including at least one tackle for a loss.
09-01-2017 06:10 AM
UT! Offline
2nd String

-Elon has a new staff, we did not know a lot about there plan, except his previous school at D2

- We did not show but 2 run plays and one Jet sweep. Probably used a 1/4 of the playbook

- Decent first win, coaches have players attention because film will show room for improvevment

- UT will probably fall in love with all these talented WR ( so much more talent than Indiana has on O) D Johnson may be as good as Cody soon... How do we get all this skill? nice work Candle

-Oline doesn't seem to have an attitude yet, perhaps a leader will emerge, Oline a weak point

-Nice job pulling Woodside (most coaches would have padded stats), development begins for next QB

-Quinn, Adenyi DE is real deal, Inside DT's built a wall most the nite. Would like to see more fire from guys after big plays, J williams was only one I saw get excited

- Malik Jones played? did not notice him playing, did notice Skipper
09-01-2017 08:18 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I didn't see the game, but noticed Woodside was sacked twice and our run game (aside from Seymour) didn't produce much. I hope they improve dramatically over the coming weeks, otherwise the season may come crashing down at The U...if we gave up two sacks to freaking Elon, Woodside will be running for his life vs the Canes.
09-01-2017 08:49 AM
SylRocketFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Anyone else catch the fact that we lined up under center in I-formation? This was after we HUDDLED. I really like that wrinkle and would like to see that used a little more often if we find ourselves inside the 10 and unable to start consistently putting the ball in the endzone. Could just be me but I can hardly the remember the last time we went under center.
09-01-2017 09:14 AM
Advertisement

toledobigmike Offline
1st String

(09-01-2017 09:14 AM)SylRocketFan Wrote:  Anyone else catch the fact that we lined up under center in I-formation? This was after we HUDDLED. I really like that wrinkle and would like to see that used a little more often if we find ourselves inside the 10 and unable to start consistently putting the ball in the endzone. Could just be me but I can hardly the remember the last time we went under center.

Putting Woodside under center helps him develop his overall skill set and has situational benefits in the game plan. It never hurts to have another tool in the toolbox.
09-01-2017 10:04 AM
UT! Offline
2nd String

Looking at player participation in the box score... Malik Jones did play as did local freshman Mitchel from Bowsher and Anderson ( 1 tackle) from St john ...Jack Linch played well leading team with tackles, what a story on the kid from Whitmer, hard nosed with instincts...
09-01-2017 10:22 AM
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(09-01-2017 08:49 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  I didn't see the game, but noticed Woodside was sacked twice and our run game (aside from Seymour) didn't produce much. I hope they improve dramatically over the coming weeks, otherwise the season may come crashing down at The U...if we gave up two sacks to freaking Elon, Woodside will be running for his life vs the Canes.

I hate to say it, but the Miami game is going to be a blood bath. I still plan on going ...
09-01-2017 08:12 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(09-01-2017 08:12 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 08:49 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  I didn't see the game, but noticed Woodside was sacked twice and our run game (aside from Seymour) didn't produce much. I hope they improve dramatically over the coming weeks, otherwise the season may come crashing down at The U...if we gave up two sacks to freaking Elon, Woodside will be running for his life vs the Canes.

I hate to say it, but the Miami game is going to be a blood bath. I still plan on going ...

Might not be. If defense can cause a turnover or two and our offense can get in a rhythm, this may stay close for 4 quarters
09-01-2017 08:23 PM
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(09-01-2017 08:23 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

Might not be. If defense can cause a turnover or two and our offense can get in a rhythm, this may stay close for 4 quarters

I doubt it. We won't be able to do anything on offense. We won't be able to run the ball and Woodside is going to get sacked every other play.
09-01-2017 08:27 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(09-01-2017 08:27 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 08:23 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

I doubt it. We won't be able to do anything on offense. We won't be able to run the ball and Woodside is going to get sacked every other play.

If you're basing that opinion on a meaningless shakeout game I think you'll be surprised to see a much different, more focused Rocket team in Fla. Next week will tell us much more. If you mean we'll be bathing in Hurricane blood....04-rock
09-01-2017 09:01 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
First impressions for me were

receivers looked great, as expected

woodside was sharp, only forced one ball, they'll probably run more quick timing throws against better opponents. thought this game they wanted to give him some time in the pocket to make reads at game speed.

backs were solid but Hunt will be missed... unless Shakif Seymour continues to impress. he looked to me the most like a feature back. granted it was garbage time and Elon was starting to sub a bit. but he ran with the most aggression and decisiveness. rb in a position you can't totally gauge in practice. gotta see what guys do in game situations. he showed up with the lights on.

1st team online looked acceptable but not dominant as you would hope against a weak opponent. physically they look the part but there's some growth to happen. will say I really liked how the 2nd team oline played. that depth will help with any injuries and keep practices sharp.

defense isn't big and i don't see a dominant player. woodley was excellent but i want to see him against good competition where he seemed to wear down a bit last year. i was worried about williams the rs frosh at strong safety but he looked ready as a tackler which is vital at that spot. will have to see how he holds up in coverage against nevada and tulsa teams that throw the ball well. thought the cbs were good.

pretty vanilla look from the coaches. assume we will run more blitz and stunt stuff next week and also more trap and misdirection stuff in the run game. wasn't much deception or setup plays this game.

kickoff teams were good. great to have d johnson back as a returner. he has a feel for that role and will break more long returns this year. vest looks like he got his confidence back and the upside to the poor red zone offense was getting him some successful kicks under his belt early. the new punter was a disaster but hoping it was jitters. he has very little true football experience even though he is a beast physically. hope he has a competitive mentality and starts to step up in tough games. otherwise, gotta put julien out there. he is inconsistent but is gonna boom every other kick and is a great option for fakes and audibles in the punt game.

nevada looks like the equivalent of a solid mac team and it will be their home opener so expect a tough game with our secondary getting a real test which should prepare us for another good passing team in tulsa on the 16th.
09-04-2017 05:07 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

"Woodside looked sharp"

Seemed to be dancing a bit. Striding out on what were simple plant feet-arm throws, lowering release. Two blocked. Maybe not finding the lane or maybe it was the striding out. Missed a long, even commentator noted he wouldn't normally miss that.

Maybe "first game sharp."

Punt returner has a Corey Jones sense of survival. Some upcoming games when hopefully punt returner realizes they're not being relied upon to win the game, let the offense do it's job. A more cautious risk assessment would be nice. Go home to the family.

Vanilla Look: by design? It was Elon. But when do they open up? For Nevada? Tulsa? Miami? or do they put all their eggs on beating WMU?

From a fannish POV, it would be nice to see Julien in some capacity.
09-04-2017 05:16 PM
FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

(09-04-2017 05:16 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  "Woodside looked sharp"

Seemed to be dancing a bit. Striding out on what were simple plant feet-arm throws, lowering release. Two blocked. Maybe not finding the lane or maybe it was the striding out. Missed a long, even commentator noted he wouldn't normally miss that.

Maybe "first game sharp."

Punt returner has a Corey Jones sense of survival. Some upcoming games when hopefully punt returner realizes they're not being relied upon to win the game, let the offense do it's job. A more cautious risk assessment would be nice. Go home to the family.

Vanilla Look: by design? It was Elon. But when do they open up? For Nevada? Tulsa? Miami? or do they put all their eggs on beating WMU?

From a fannish POV, it would be nice to see Julien in some capacity.

How can you people talk about Miami, when we still have to play Nevada and Tulsa. By the way if you didn't watch the game or came out to the Glass Bowl keep your opinions to yourself. Better yet follow B.G.
09-04-2017 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.