Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNF open to a football future
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation UNF open to a football future
Four and a half years ago, the university’s top leader called adding football “inevitable.” Now, UNF President John Delaney says UNF could be a decade or two away from having a football team.

“It's actually inevitable. It's just a question is it in a few years or 10 or 15,” Delaney told First Coast News in the 2013.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/unf.../469419983

I suspect Delaney's mission was to delay the football addition to the university for as long as he can to help UF. He is a graduate of UF and a former mayor of Jacksonville. He also served a stint as the interim Chancellor of the State University System.

UNF would be a great addition to the Sun Belt.

East

Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Kennesaw State
North Florida

West

Arkansas State
South Alabama
Louisiana Lafayette
Lousiana Monroe
Troy
Texas State

Then add West Florida and Missouri State
08-31-2017 07:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: UNF open to a football future
(08-31-2017 07:56 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Four and a half years ago, the university’s top leader called adding football “inevitable.” Now, UNF President John Delaney says UNF could be a decade or two away from having a football team.

“It's actually inevitable. It's just a question is it in a few years or 10 or 15,” Delaney told First Coast News in the 2013.

I suspect Delaney's mission was to delay the football addition to the university for as long as he can to help UF. He is a graduate of UF and a former mayor of Jacksonville. He also served a stint as the interim Chancellor of the State University System.

East

Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Kennesaw State
North Florida

West

Arkansas State
South Alabama
Louisiana Lafayette
Lousiana Monroe
Troy
Texas State

Why don't we revisit this when UNF actually adds a football team 15 or 20 years from now.
08-31-2017 08:35 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Think Southern and State might be okay with one team in an Atlanta satellite town and another 3 hours south of Statesboro?
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017 08:42 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-31-2017 08:41 AM
stAte3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Pass.
08-31-2017 08:43 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(08-31-2017 07:56 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Four and a half years ago, the university’s top leader called adding football “inevitable.” Now, UNF President John Delaney says UNF could be a decade or two away from having a football team.

East

Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Kennesaw State
North Florida

West

Arkansas State
South Alabama
Louisiana Lafayette
Lousiana Monroe
Troy
Texas State

So you post this BS on opening day? Weak

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-31-2017 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(08-31-2017 08:41 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Think Southern and State might be okay with one team in an Atlanta satellite town and another 3 hours south of Statesboro?
When UNF and KSU are in the SBC it means that 80% of the current members will not be.

08-31-2017 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Hilarious. Here is the key part of the article.

"“We got caught up in it,” Delaney said. “When we finally got the pencil down and cranked the calculator out to see the numbers it was the equivalent of $400 or $500 dollars per semester to the students. The students just didn’t have an interest to pay $900 or a $1,000 in extra fees.”

Emails obtained by First Coast News reveal the game plan for football didn’t add up with the university’s budget at the time. According to one 2013 email, Delaney wrote: “It would require a significant student fee increase and bonding authority. I don’t see our current governor [Rick Scott] authorizing that.”"

So...even UNF doesn't think they'll add football.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017 09:07 AM by rokamortis.)
08-31-2017 09:05 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

Exclamation RE: UNF open to a football future
(08-31-2017 08:41 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Think Southern and State might be okay with one team in an Atlanta satellite town and another 3 hours south of Statesboro?

Yes. That means Ga Southern will always have at least one game in Atlanta every year. Georgia State will love the close rival game. Think USC vs UCLA.

Georgia State will host Kennesaw State in football in 2018

"The beginning of a rivalry may start when Georgia State hosts Kennesaw State in football on Aug. 30, 2018."
08-31-2017 09:10 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(08-31-2017 08:52 AM)panama Wrote:  
When UNF and KSU are in the SBC it means that 80% of the current members will not be.

How much do you want to bet? 04-cheers
08-31-2017 09:11 AM
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
(08-31-2017 09:11 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  
(08-31-2017 08:52 AM)panama Wrote:  

How much do you want to bet? 04-cheers

Wow. So you would take a bet that Georgia St will end up in a conference with Kennesaw and UNF? I watched the Jacksonville news this very morning where they interviewed the President about this in a long segment. He said it would take $75 million to launch football at UNF and it's just not gonna happen anytime soon. He retires in May 2018. So even if new pro FB leadership enters, it'll be 2022 at the earliest. And that's assuming you find a new president who makes it a priority. You still wanna make that bet?
I think you'll find that in 5 years there will have been a great deal of shuffling among the southern G5. There are way too many pieces in motion.
08-31-2017 11:34 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
UNF would get the votes to get in, but Kennesaw State will not.
08-31-2017 04:30 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
UNF and FGCU need to take it slow. First, be Pioneer League fb with Stetson, then Big South fb with UNA and Charleston Southern, and then invite JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany, Liberty, and UMass to eventually have an FBS Atlantic Sun. UNF and Kennesaw St don't need the Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017 05:46 PM by NoDak.)
08-31-2017 05:27 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

East

Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Kennesaw State
North Florida

West

Arkansas State
South Alabama
Louisiana Lafayette
Lousiana Monroe
Troy
Texas State

I heard John Delaney is using the leverage he has from his brother Jim the Big 10'commsh to gain admittance to the Big 10 as part of their southern wing with UNC, Dook, Virgin-ey, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Northern Florida
08-31-2017 06:01 PM
3BNole Online
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
There are so many positives and negatives with UNF, it's difficult to figure out how they'll shake out. From a name/branding perspective, "North Florida" has a good "FBS-ring" to it. Jacksonville, as a city, I think would also do pretty well to support a team. What always surprises me with them and football is that they've already got a facility that would be perfect for football... Hodges Stadium seats 12,000 and is home their their soccer and track programs. They literally would only need to put goalposts up for FCS football and maybe build a 5,000 visitor side for FBS...

The downside to UNF is that Jacksonville is dominated by UF, and to a lesser degree, FSU. Heck, UF plays their annual game with UGA their. I really don't think they want to see a team there. It's also not solid that UNF would do a great job supporting a team. It's by and far a commuter school (MUCH more than UCF or even FIU/FAU) and it's a tossup how students would show up.

In any case, I think it would be fun to see. Just not certain it'll happen or that it'd be a huge success.
08-31-2017 09:21 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The Jaguars, who are often rumored to be a future London team, are building a training facility near Weasley, or that was the plan. Assume that facility would be used by Fulham FC too, as Shah owns both teams.

If the Jaguars move, suddenly the doors are flung open for a UNF FBS team.
09-01-2017 12:38 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Sun Belt wants a foothold in Florida to recruit. UNF seems to be on the top list for Benson for expansion candidates.
09-01-2017 03:11 AM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(09-01-2017 03:11 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Sun Belt wants a foothold in Florida to recruit. UNF seems to be on the top list for Benson for expansion candidates.

Really! Who told you that? The Sun Belt has gotten better since the Florida schools left.
09-01-2017 09:25 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(08-31-2017 11:34 AM)ChooChoo Wrote:  He said it would take $75 million to launch football at UNF

I must not have a good understanding of football if it would take $75,000,000 to simply start a football program.

Never mind. Who am I kidding? Here's an image of the stadium rendering.

[Image: 200px-Taj_Mahal.png]
09-01-2017 09:36 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I'm curious as to where they think they'd spend $75 million. Like another poster said, they have a stadium that is FCS ready and plenty of room to add a visitors seating section on the other side to raise capacity to FBS standards.

Big South football would be a great place for them to start a program and if they can rally enough support they could have a future in the Sunbelt someday.
09-01-2017 03:05 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-01-2017 09:25 AM)AZcats Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 03:11 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Sun Belt wants a foothold in Florida to recruit. UNF seems to be on the top list for Benson for expansion candidates.

Really! Who told you that? The Sun Belt has gotten better since the Florida schools left.

No one told him anything. He has no sources or facts to back him up.
09-01-2017 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.