Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches Football Luncheon
Bookmark and Share
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Coaches Football Luncheon
Dear Friends,
The luncheon group has grown to sixty. See what winning does. The guest player was Brogan Roback. Coach Creighton talked about the trials and tribulations he had had with Brogan, and how that has led to a mature young man who could now be the best quarterback in the MAC. Brogan spoke after Creighton and agreed with everything the coach had said about their relationship.
They were introduced by the new Athletic Director Scott Wetherbee. He said that he was very happy to be back in Michigan, and very excited about the direction Eastern was going. He mentioned the new athletic facility was moving forward, and proud of Eastern winning the Cartwright Award for the second time in four years. He said he wanted to make the football games an event and had some ideas to improve attendance. (He did not mention any specifics)
Coach Creighton said the offensive and defensive lines were going to be better than last year, even though Eastern had some very good players on last years team. The comment on the offensive line being better than last year was based on a recent scrimmage where the defensive coordinator said the offensive linemen were terrific.
I asked Coach Creighton privately about recruiting and what were the things Eastern was looking or in a recruit. Creighton said they have worked very hard at trying to get more Michigan players and gave more than thirty offers to players from Michigan and only getting four as recruits. He didn't know if there was a bias against Eastern, or their past win/loss records, but with last year's record and a bowl game, interest in Eastern has definitely picked up.
He doesn't hold much integrity with the recruiting services because there can be/are differences in their ratings, especially with two and three star players. He has confidence in his approach to recruiting and believes we will see better players arriving in Ypsilanti.
If anyone has a question or more please ask, and I will try and answer.
08-30-2017 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: Coaches Football Luncheon
(08-30-2017 03:01 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
The luncheon group has grown to sixty. See what winning does. The guest player was Brogan Roback. Coach Creighton talked about the trials and tribulations he had had with Brogan, and how that has led to a mature young man who could now be the best quarterback in the MAC. Brogan spoke after Creighton and agreed with everything the coach had said about their relationship.
They were introduced by the new Athletic Director Scott Wetherbee. He said that he was very happy to be back in Michigan, and very excited about the direction Eastern was going. He mentioned the new athletic facility was moving forward, and proud of Eastern winning the Cartwright Award for the second time in four years. He said he wanted to make the football games an event and had some ideas to improve attendance. (He did not mention any specifics)
Coach Creighton said the offensive and defensive lines were going to be better than last year, even though Eastern had some very good players on last years team. The comment on the offensive line being better than last year was based on a recent scrimmage where the defensive coordinator said the offensive linemen were terrific.
I asked Coach Creighton privately about recruiting and what were the things Eastern was looking or in a recruit. Creighton said they have worked very hard at trying to get more Michigan players and gave more than thirty offers to players from Michigan and only getting four as recruits. He didn't know if there was a bias against Eastern, or their past win/loss records, but with last year's record and a bowl game, interest in Eastern has definitely picked up.
He doesn't hold much integrity with the recruiting services because there can be/are differences in their ratings, especially with two and three star players. He has confidence in his approach to recruiting and believes we will see better players arriving in Ypsilanti.

Thanks Ken!!!

I'll tell everyone right now, if our OL is better than last year's, we're going to be MAC champs!!!
08-30-2017 03:32 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

Thanks as always Ken, great review.

The DLine comment isn't surprising. The OLine comment is just nonsense, haha. He just had 2 offensive tackles get picked up as NFL free agents! There is no bigger EMU fan than myself, and I'll be rooting big time for the OLine to play great and improve throughout the season......but not buying what he's selling at all. About 48 hours until we all find out.

On the recruiting front, good to hear that things appear to be looking up. Proof will come in February of 2018.

Huge question Ken. What does....."He mentioned the new athletic facility was moving forward"..........mean? Fundraising will continue.....or ground is actually breaking following the season? Wish somebody would have asked Wetherbee that direct question, since he was there.

Thx
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 05:51 PM by EagleTough.)
08-30-2017 05:19 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-30-2017 03:32 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 03:01 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,

Thanks Ken!!!

I'll tell everyone right now, if our OL is better than last year's, we're going to be MAC champs!!!

I agree with you, Luckey.

That means we will have one of the best DLs in the MAC.

So if we have a good OL, very good to excellent DL. A top notch QB. Top notch stable of RBs, etc. etc.

Guess we are going bowling again... In a year in which WMU should come back to earth, we should be competitive in most or all MAC games.

P.S. I'm SKEPTICAL about the statement regarding the OL. If we have an 'average' OL I'll be happy.
08-30-2017 05:21 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear EagleTough,
According to Coach Creighton, ground breaking will occur at the conclusion of the football season. Wetherbee was there and made no denials to that effect, so I'm assuming that is what is going to happen. They also placed replicas of the bricks that one can purchase on all of the tables. People there are fired-up. Good to see.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 06:27 PM by Ken Barna.)
08-30-2017 06:27 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 06:27 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EagleTough,
According to Coach Creighton, ground breaking will occur at the conclusion of the football season. Wetherbee was there and made no denials to that effect, so I'm assuming that is what is going to happen. They also placed replicas of the bricks that one can purchase on all of the tables. People there are fired-up. Good to see.

Great news! Thanks Ken
08-30-2017 10:10 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Great coverage as always Ken. Thanks.
08-31-2017 10:30 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Anyone attend today?
09-20-2017 05:27 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
Coaches Luncheon 2:
There were about sixty people in attendance. The guest player was Jeremiah Harris. He is a very polished young man, who speaks well, and is committed to helping Eastern have a winning season. He sat at our table, so we were able to talk quite openly about Eastern's football team. Something that he mentioned that totally surprised people, was that as an incoming freshman, many of the members of the team literally did not know other members of the team. So, the coaches and the players made it their objective to meet with other players, socialize with other players, so they would be closer as a team. Jeremiah thinks that is a factor in Eastern being successful on the field. He thinks that Ohio will be their toughest game so far, and when people asked about Rutgers, he replied that as a team Eastern thought they could win the game. He said don't take that as cockiness, they just prepared well, and executed. He also has another year of eligibility, and seems to indicate he will be back for another year.
Coach Creighton also said that he thought they had prepared very well for Rutgers. There are always ways for improvement, like on the one punt, when all of the Rutgers players ran back to block for their receiver, leaving an open field for our punter to run for the first down. He said they had not practiced that, but in future games, he may give the punter discretion in deciding whether to run the ball rather then kick.
Shaq Vann is totally recovered from his injury last year. Coach Creighton says that Ohio runs a defense similar to that of Eastern, so the feeling is that we may be able to block better for our running game.
If you have any questions, please ask and I may be able to answer them.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2017 06:38 PM by Ken Barna.)
09-20-2017 06:36 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Thanks as always Ken.
09-20-2017 07:11 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Thanks Ken.

It would be interesting to find out if Creighton wants to get Stiebling a few snaps every game do that he gains some experience.
09-20-2017 07:40 PM
Advertisement

EagleTough Offline
All American

(09-20-2017 07:40 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Thanks Ken.

It would be interesting to find out if Creighton wants to get Stiebling a few snaps every game do that he gains some experience.

Thanks Ken,

As difficult as our schedule stacks up, I wouldn't be surprised if our backup QB's got a grand total of ZERO snaps this year.
09-20-2017 08:58 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(09-20-2017 08:58 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  

Thanks Ken,

As difficult as our schedule stacks up, I wouldn't be surprised if our backup QB's got a grand total of ZERO snaps this year.

And the corollary point: How many games will EMU win?

The answer: What percentage of the napes will Roback take?

We are an injury to Roback of a mess.
09-21-2017 05:12 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(09-21-2017 05:12 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Thanks Ken,

6-8

100%

Every team in the MAC is an injury to their starting QB away from a mess.
09-21-2017 11:26 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-21-2017 05:12 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Thanks Ken,

MOST teams are a mess if their starting QB goes down...You know if Eastern beats Ohio (probable) and Kentucky (not beyond the realm of possibility, in fact...) there will be talk of... I'm not going to jinx it. That said, the last thing anyone is thinking about is how many snaps our backup QB gets.
09-21-2017 11:46 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

On social media, looks like a well-attended lunch today with Kyle Rachwal as the player in attendance.

Hope Ken, our luncheon insider, could make it!
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 12:20 PM by FrankAnderson.)
10-18-2017 12:19 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear FrankAnderson and Friends,
Yes, I was able to attend the luncheon, and it was well attended with about sixty people in attendance. Yes, Kyle Rachwal was the guest player, and he as well as the other players that have attended, are gentlemen, well spoken, and a credit to the football program. Kyle said that the team is still confident and ready to play Western. Army, in his words was a tough opponent, and it was difficult to adjust to the triple option, that they ran. Coach Creighton added that because of their offense, Eastern had to basically change the normal defensive scheme that Coach Neathery likes to run, and that makes it difficult because you will only be doing it for one game.
In regard to the two point try at the end of the fourth quarter, Creighton said they were trying to isolate the player that made the tackle for Army. Eastern lined up with three receivers to the right, and Army had to put three or four players over to that side. Army then had five players lined up on the line of scrimmage, and the person they wanted to isolate was lined up as a linebacker. So, that meant that Army had committed 10 players to the middle and right side of the field.
That meant only one defensive player on the left guarding our receiver, and our receiver should be able to tie-up the defensive back on that side.
Once the play was run, the Army player Eastern was isolating, immediately ran to the right side of the field, and there was no one to block him. Had he stayed in the linebacker position, Eriksen would have scored.
Question was asked about quarterback Stiebeling. Coach Creighton said they have wanted to get him some action. but the way the games have been so close score wise, they felt he could not be put into the games. Creighton added that he can throw a nice ball, so his ability is not in question. He added that there will be two more quarterbacks available for spring ball that are also capable of being the starter.
Question asked about recruiting; Creighton said it is going well and they will probably end with a class of nineteen. He also said that he would expect that they will all sign in the early period
Creighton is not high on playing Army. If, he is still Eastern's coach in the next few years, the series will die in 2020 with the last Army game scheduled, or maybe dropped. (My speculation on 2020) He said he likes playing one major team and scheduling three FBS teams for Eastern's out of conference games.
Any questions?
10-18-2017 01:30 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(10-18-2017 01:30 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear FrankAnderson and Friends,
Yes, I was able to attend the luncheon, and it was well attended with about sixty people in attendance. Yes, Kyle Rachwal was the guest player, and he as well as the other players that have attended, are gentlemen, well spoken, and a credit to the football program. Kyle said that the team is still confident and ready to play Western. Army, in his words was a tough opponent, and it was difficult to adjust to the triple option, that they ran. Coach Creighton added that because of their offense, Eastern had to basically change the normal defensive scheme that Coach Neathery likes to run, and that makes it difficult because you will only be doing it for one game.
In regard to the two point try at the end of the fourth quarter, Creighton said they were trying to isolate the player that made the tackle for Army. Eastern lined up with three receivers to the right, and Army had to put three or four players over to that side. Army then had five players lined up on the line of scrimmage, and the person they wanted to isolate was lined up as a linebacker. So, that meant that Army had committed 10 players to the middle and right side of the field.
That meant only one defensive player on the left guarding our receiver, and our receiver should be able to tie-up the defensive back on that side.
Once the play was run, the Army player Eastern was isolating, immediately ran to the right side of the field, and there was no one to block him. Had he stayed in the linebacker position, Eriksen would have scored.
Question was asked about quarterback Stiebeling. Coach Creighton said they have wanted to get him some action. but the way the games have been so close score wise, they felt he could not be put into the games. Creighton added that he can throw a nice ball, so his ability is not in question. He added that there will be two more quarterbacks available for spring ball that are also capable of being the starter.
Question asked about recruiting; Creighton said it is going well and they will probably end with a class of nineteen. He also said that he would expect that they will all sign in the early period
Creighton is not high on playing Army. If, he is still Eastern's coach in the next few years, the series will die in 2020 with the last Army game scheduled, or maybe dropped. (My speculation on 2020) He said he likes playing one major team and scheduling three FBS teams for Eastern's out of conference games.
Any questions?

Playing Army is like teams having to play the Murphy zone 5 years ago. They hated it.

No team likes to play against an offense they will never see again during the season.
10-18-2017 01:46 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks Ken
10-18-2017 05:07 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2017 01:30 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear FrankAnderson and Friends,
Any questions?

We have 11 verbals so far, appears we may others that are unknown at this time in order to get to 19 for the early signing period.
10-19-2017 01:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.