Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Football Analyst Walks Away, Disturbed by Brain Trauma on Field
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
ESPN Football Analyst Walks Away, Disturbed by Brain Trauma on Field
Who's next?

LINK
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 12:43 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
08-30-2017 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: ESPN Football Analyst Walks Away, Disturbed by Brain Trauma on Field
No big loss. Cunningham sucked as a color commentator.
08-30-2017 01:16 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Good for him, but I feel this whole fuss about CTE does not have much to do with the health concerns. It would be one thing if players really did not know football was a dangerous sport. But players do know it's dangerous and they make the choice to put their bodies at risk.

If you are against people doing dangerous things you should not support the military. You should never dial 911 if your house is on fire. You should not cook with coal. You should not use anything made in a factory. And you should not work in tall buildings. Heck, you probably should not be eating fruit/vegetables from other countries either. If you have ever been to Mexico there are parts of that country where people literally pass out in the field from dehydration trying to make a few dollars picking crops.

This has more to do with the anti-football crowd's hate for how much NFL players are paid.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 01:23 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
08-30-2017 01:19 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Long article. Sounds like there were a thousand different straws that broke the camel's back.

Final straw was last season's outback bowl where Iowa coaches kept an obviously injured QB CJ Beathard in the game, late in 4Q in an 30-3 Iowa loss, in a game that meant nothing to start with. Everybody in the stadium and watching the game on tv was asking the same thing. Why in the world is CJ Beathard still in the game? He was so hurt he couldn't run at all. The game was obviously loss. It made no sense to anybody why he was still playing. No wonder Ed Cunningham decided to quit.
08-30-2017 01:22 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-30-2017 01:22 PM)goofus Wrote:  Long article. Sounds like there were a thousand different straws that broke the camel's back.

Final straw was last season's outback bowl where Iowa coaches kept an obviously injured QB CJ Beathard in the game, late in 4Q in an 30-3 Iowa loss, in a game that meant nothing to start with. Everybody in the stadium and watching the game on tv was asking the same thing. Why in the world is CJ Beathard still in the game? He was so hurt he couldn't run at all. The game was obviously loss. It made no sense to anybody why he was still playing. No wonder Ed Cunningham decided to quit.

Makes you wonder if Beathard wanted to be on the field in the 4th quarter for his last collegiate game.
08-30-2017 01:26 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 01:22 PM)goofus Wrote:  Long article. Sounds like there were a thousand different straws that broke the camel's back.

And where is CJ Beathard now? Living in one of the best cities in the world as a millionaire. Despite having average at best stats as a college QB but showing a toughness that many do not have.

While the vast majority of people who are on this message board are probably thousands of dollars in debt working in a cubicle. I admire the toughness he had in that game as most weak men would have done exactly what you suggested he do, quit.

And like others said CJ probably told the coaches to keep him in.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 01:37 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
08-30-2017 01:37 PM
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 01:26 PM)YNot Wrote:  

Makes you wonder if Beathard wanted to be on the field in the 4th quarter for his last collegiate game.

I was not there but this is most likely what happened. People who were not athletes cannot understand how this feels. When you are potentially playing the last game of something you have worked for almost your whole life it's emotional. Being forced to sit down is the worse thing that you can do to a player.

I'm sure the coaches asked him to sit. But he probably was like "No coach, this 4th quarter could be the last of my life and I don't want to sit on a bench a regret it the rest of my life".
08-30-2017 01:43 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-30-2017 01:19 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Good for him, but I feel this whole fuss about CTE does not have much to do with the health concerns. It would be one thing if players really did not know football was a dangerous sport. But players do know it's dangerous and they make the choice to put their bodies at risk.

If you are against people doing dangerous things you should not support the military. You should never dial 911 if your house is on fire. You should not cook with coal. You should not use anything made in a factory. And you should not work in tall buildings. Heck, you probably should not be eating fruit/vegetables from other countries either. If you have ever been to Mexico there are parts of that country where people literally pass out in the field from dehydration trying to make a few dollars picking crops.

This has more to do with the anti-football crowd's hate for how much NFL players are paid.

And you left out that fact that you damn well better not drive drunk, drive and text, drive and eat, or drive and talk on the phone at the same time! For that matter you shouldn't buy automobiles and or drive at all. Statistically that is still the most dangerous thing you do every day, except perhaps for deep water fishing in the Bering Sea, which of course I doubt many of us have ever done.

Face it folks if you are worried about risk you shouldn't even be born. Mortality is 100% likely!
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 01:48 PM by JRsec.)
08-30-2017 01:46 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Sports doesn't need snowflakes reporting it.
08-30-2017 01:51 PM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Color me unimpressed.
First when you are on the air with the target audience is the time to make your safety arguments. I didn't watch the Iowa game referenced. Did he question from the both why the player was out there?

Second when you resign citing time with your kids AND by the way I've got some really cool other good paying gigs going, to come back months later and say well I had to leave because of the safety issue just doesn't strike me as very credible, one might suspect the attention serves to bolster the new career rather than being a from the heart stand.

Guy may be genuine as the day is long but it sure fits neatly into a profile of being self-serving as well.
08-30-2017 02:02 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 01:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 01:19 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Good for him, but I feel this whole fuss about CTE does not have much to do with the health concerns. It would be one thing if players really did not know football was a dangerous sport. But players do know it's dangerous and they make the choice to put their bodies at risk.

And you left out that fact that you damn well better not drive drunk, drive and text, drive and eat, or drive and talk on the phone at the same time! For that matter you shouldn't buy automobiles and or drive at all. Statistically that is still the most dangerous thing you do every day, except perhaps for deep water fishing in the Bering Sea, which of course I doubt many of us have ever done.

Face it folks if you are worried about risk you shouldn't even be born. Mortality is 100% likely!

You know having a phone in the car at all is probably more dangerous than playing football. I would love to see research on how many accidents are caused each hour by people texting and driving. Every time I get on the interstate there is some teenager swerving into other lanes because they are looking at their phone.
08-30-2017 02:16 PM
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 02:02 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Color me unimpressed.
First when you are on the air with the target audience is the time to make your safety arguments. I didn't watch the Iowa game referenced. Did he question from the both why the player was out there?

Second when you resign citing time with your kids AND by the way I've got some really cool other good paying gigs going, to come back months later and say well I had to leave because of the safety issue just doesn't strike me as very credible, one might suspect the attention serves to bolster the new career rather than being a from the heart stand.

Guy may be genuine as the day is long but it sure fits neatly into a profile of being self-serving as well.

Yeah, when you care about something you don't make statements you do something. For example, I care about the people in Houston. So, instead of going on vacation this weekend I'm flying to Texas. I'm not making a blog about how people should not live next to water because it's dangerous.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 02:28 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
08-30-2017 02:26 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
NFL is on a death spiral, soon it will be gone as an organization.
08-30-2017 02:37 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
This kind of smells of grandstanding to me.

Various other posters have listed activities that are just as dangerous or even MORE dangerous than playing football so as far as I'm concerned, if he wants to take up a cause celebre, there are MANY forms more deserving than football.

Sorry folks, what do these guys think is going to happen when they use their heads as a battering ram? It shouldn't take a brain surgeon (pun intended) to realize that if you crack your noggin enough, it's going to have an effect.

Laying cement will do as much damage to the body as football, only difference is the cement guy doesn't have millions to fall back on.....
08-30-2017 02:57 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(08-30-2017 02:37 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  NFL is on a death spiral, soon it will be gone as an organization.

If that happens, it's not stopping with the NFL.
08-30-2017 03:12 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-30-2017 03:12 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 02:37 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  NFL is on a death spiral, soon it will be gone as an organization.

If that happens, it's not stopping with the NFL.

I'm not so sure about that. There are some substantial reasons that the networks really stepped up their investment in college athletics.

Part of it has had to do with demographic shifts. The NFL was built on blue collar associations. That segment of our society has disproportionately declined and the cost of NFL attendance has spiked. So there was going to be an inevitable decline from their peak popularity. Also the NFL has become a very costly enterprise to keep going, and consequently to broadcast. Their rights are top dollar and with Millennials also tuning out to many sports that high maintenance product could be more affordably replaced by College Football.

I do think that is why realignment has heated up. The networks are basically shaping their substitute. It doesn't have the high salary maintenance, doesn't have the liability that the NFL does, and it contains and perpetuates its own fan base. As workers quit identifying with the local pro sports franchise, students seldom quit identifying with their schools, and alumni tend to remain loyal for a lifetime.

So college football is cheaper. And, if the NFL isn't the end game, and full contact is limited to high school and college then the long term exposure to risk can be curtailed to 8 years.

What that would mean however is that the focus of the student athlete would have to change, and perhaps for the better.

But we will see how quickly this plays out. The NFL will be around a while longer, but if college football can become a more economical product to produce the NFL might just price itself out of existence. If so the NBA and MLB had better take note. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 03:26 PM by JRsec.)
08-30-2017 03:25 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(08-30-2017 01:43 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

I was not there but this is most likely what happened. People who were not athletes cannot understand how this feels. When you are potentially playing the last game of something you have worked for almost your whole life it's emotional. Being forced to sit down is the worse thing that you can do to a player.

I'm sure the coaches asked him to sit. But he probably was like "No coach, this 4th quarter could be the last of my life and I don't want to sit on a bench a regret it the rest of my life".

Everybody understands why Beathard himself wanted to stay in the game. It was his last game. But that does not explain why the coaches never took him out.

But just to clarify, he did not have a concusion. He had a leg injury. He couldn't run at all. All he could do was take snaps from the shotgun and throw. The last interception he threw, he had no zip on the ball and could not run down the guy returning the pick. It made no sense at all for him to be out there. All it did was make his last game even worse than if he was pulled in the 3Q. Anybody who watched the whole games knows what I am saying.
08-30-2017 03:36 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

Too bad we don't always get what we want.
08-30-2017 03:37 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-30-2017 03:37 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Too bad we don't always get what we want.

I'm not saying I want it to end. The NFL and its multi-millionaire players are turning away the fan base with all of its antics.
08-30-2017 03:56 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

(08-30-2017 03:36 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 01:43 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Everybody understands why Beathard himself wanted to stay in the game. It was his last game. But that does not explain why the coaches never took him out.

But just to clarify, he did not have a concusion. He had a leg injury. He couldn't run at all. All he could do was take snaps from the shotgun and throw. The last interception he threw, he had no zip on the ball and could not run down the guy returning the pick. It made no sense at all for him to be out there. All it did was make his last game even worse than if he was pulled in the 3Q. Anybody who watched the whole games knows what I am saying.

I watched the game and I understand why you feel the way you do. I'm not sure you understand the mindset of an athlete/warrior. Your team aka your brothers are getting their behind whooped. There is no hope of winning and the easy thing to do would be to go sit down and let whatever poor backup is on the roster go in and take the fall. That's what an average man would do.

Someone with a warrior mentality would say no. I'm going to stay out here and relish this last moment with my brothers even if it's a hopeless situation. Most coaches have played the game themselves so they understand what forcing someone in that situation to sit would be like. And that's why you seldom find a coach who would do that to a player unless it's a very extreme situation.

People said the same thing about our former top WR JuJu Smith during one of our games. He injured his leg and literally was hopping off the field every other play. But he kept coming back and back gain. Even the announces were like "Oh my gosh, the tenacity of this kid is crazy".
08-30-2017 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.