Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'White shaming' is new rage on college campuses
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
'White shaming' is new rage on college campuses
Quote:WASHINGTON – An assistant professor at the University of Iowa who pledged to expose her students to “their own white ignorance” in a “peer-reviewed academic journal” was stunned and appalled that she was, well, criticized for it.

Jodi Linley, a white education instructor, wrote that her goal was to make her “mostly white” graduate students keenly aware of their “white privilege” and use her classroom to “deconstruct whiteness.” If she did otherwise, she explained, it would make her “complicit” in perpetrating white supremacy.

“For white students,” she wrote, “talking about race with an all-white group of peers … [reveals] their own white ignorance.”

Linley said her commitment to designing classes that fight white privilege began as soon as she became a professor in 2014, at which point she resolved to “develop courses that both unveiled and rejected” the notion that “neutrality and objectivity are realistic and attainable.”

“As a white assistant professor of mostly white graduate students who will become higher education leaders, I work to dismantle whiteness in my curriculum, assignments and pedagogy,” Linley explained, noting that in addition to her “white identity,” she also draws on her “identities as a queer, able-bodied, cisgender woman” with a working-class background to construct her “teaching paradigm.”

She offered up five strategies other professors can use to deconstruct white privilege in their own classes, such as making sure students know that their views on race will be challenged, “interrupting oppression” that occurs in classroom settings, and segregating students by race so they can have more productive dialogues about privilege.

“For white students, talking about race with an all-white group of peers facilitates their realization that they are raced beings, thus revealing their own white ignorance,” Linley asserted as justification for segregating students during some discussions.

Perhaps Linley and her university thought the paper would be a groundbreaking work that would be met with universal praise. However, it was widely criticized on social media, and she received some negative email.

She and her university described that reaction as being “targeted, harassed and threatened.”

Daniel Clay, dean of the College of Education, expressed horror over the criticism, issuing this statement:

“Recently, one of our faculty members was singled out for publishing a peer-review article on race issues in higher education. This faculty member was targeted, harassed, and threatened by many people from around the country through email, phone calls, and social media.

“As the dean of our University of Iowa College of Education, I want to affirm that we welcome all students, faculty, and staff of all races and backgrounds. We work hard to create an inclusive environment that cultivates respect and appreciation for everyone. The University of Iowa is also strongly committed to freedom of expression and the First Amendment, and that extends to students, faculty and staff.”

Apparently, however, the commitment to freedom of expression and the First Amendment does not apply to dissenting opinions expressed in emails and on social media.

As college students begin returning to campus this week, they can expect similar coursework all across America.

Last year, Portland Community College devoted an entire month to “whiteness” shaming.

This summer, an assistant professor at Georgia State University published an academic journal article lamenting the “insidiousness of silence and whiteness” on college campuses.

And last spring, a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee called for complete “abolition of whiteness,” saying only then will America see an end to racism.

The professors had one thing in common. They are all white.

http://www.wnd.com/2017/08/white-shaming...emBUBrp.99
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 04:33 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
08-26-2017 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: 'White shaming' is new rage on college campuses Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/
Why don't the professors give up their jobs to non whites?
08-26-2017 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: 'White shaming' is new rage on college campuses
Mental illness.
08-26-2017 04:35 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(08-26-2017 04:21 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Why don't the professors give up their jobs to non whites?

They might be idiots but they ain't stupid. But, you're right, I think that would start the ball rolling. This is a perfectly good example of "do as I say, not as I do".
08-26-2017 04:51 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Somebody should sue her and the university for discrimination
08-26-2017 04:55 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(08-26-2017 04:55 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Somebody should sue her and the university for discrimination

I say BLM should put her in her place outside the classroom and place a Black person in her classroom by force if necessary (because it's much easier for them that way). It would be like that prof to try to tell the non-whites how to think, you know like Tommy tries here.
08-26-2017 05:01 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(08-26-2017 04:51 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(08-26-2017 04:21 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Why don't the professors give up their jobs to non whites?

They might be idiots but they ain't stupid. But, you're right, I think that would start the ball rolling. This is a perfectly good example of "do as I say, not as I do".

04-cheers
08-26-2017 05:18 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
And it was The Russians that put Trump in office, and not this sheet.

COGS02-13-banana
08-26-2017 05:34 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(08-26-2017 05:34 PM)wahoowa Wrote:  And it was The Russians that put Trump in office, and not this sheet.

COGS02-13-banana

I take issue with the color of your smilies. :)
08-26-2017 05:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
The only thing worse than white guilt...is...black dependency on it.
08-26-2017 09:24 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(08-26-2017 09:24 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The only thing worse than white guilt...is...black dependency on it.

Agree, but disagree. It's the utter stupidity of it all. The very idea that we can demean or tear down another and that will somehow build us up?

Someone call me the sanebulance.

lost our collective f$%*ing minds.
08-26-2017 09:58 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The issue is not white privilege. The issue is more on class. Even white's discriminates against other whites. It is usually the snobby rich people looking down on the Middle Class and poor white people. As some of the more educated African Americans on both sides of the aisle have said the history is more on class issue, and not race that have kept a lot of white people down as poor. It is in the history of the world from all countries that white people live in.
08-27-2017 04:17 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(08-27-2017 04:17 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  The issue is not white privilege. The issue is more on class. Even white's discriminates against other whites. It is usually the snobby rich people looking down on the Middle Class and poor white people. As some of the more educated African Americans on both sides of the aisle have said the history is more on class issue, and not race that have kept a lot of white people down as poor. It is in the history of the world from all countries that white people live in.

It's the history of the world period. There is no true equality and there never will be, for anyone of any color.

The mentality it takes to live in constant victim-hood is beyond me.
08-27-2017 08:53 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-26-2017 04:35 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Mental illness.

White privilege is something invented by privileged whites who have no concept of the real world where most people struggle day to day. Talking to someone who commented, "Well why don't they move into a poor Black neighborhood and send their kids to school there if they think they are privileged? Why stay in a well-to-do white neighborhood?"

Its a concept that is really insulting to all but the top 5% in income.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 09:06 AM by bullet.)
08-27-2017 09:05 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-27-2017 04:17 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  The issue is not white privilege. The issue is more on class. Even white's discriminates against other whites. It is usually the snobby rich people looking down on the Middle Class and poor white people. As some of the more educated African Americans on both sides of the aisle have said the history is more on class issue, and not race that have kept a lot of white people down as poor. It is in the history of the world from all countries that white people live in.

Its the white upper class telling the white middle and lower classes they should be ashamed of being white and privileged. Pretty silly.
08-27-2017 09:07 AM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators

The fact that you capitalize "Middle Class" and use lower case for "poor white people" shows your hatred of the poor white people.

You should seek some sensitivity training or something.
08-27-2017 09:16 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(08-27-2017 09:07 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Its the white upper class telling the white middle and lower classes they should be ashamed of being white and privileged. Pretty silly.

And when it comes time to vote it will backfire. Average Jane and Joe independent voter, which most people are, are not privileged.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 09:18 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
08-27-2017 09:18 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte

How the f did these folks even get a job in the first place?
08-27-2017 10:03 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(08-27-2017 09:05 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-26-2017 04:35 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Mental illness.

White privilege is something invented by privileged whites who have no concept of the real world where most people struggle day to day. Talking to someone who commented, "Well why don't they move into a poor Black neighborhood and send their kids to school there if they think they are privileged? Why stay in a well-to-do white neighborhood?"

Its a concept that is really insulting to all but the top 5% in income.

You want to see true racism? Send your white kid to a ghetto school. Racism isn't just taught like the media will tell you, it's learned sadly.
08-27-2017 11:03 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
While shaming normalized, rise in white nationalism. What could possibly be the common factor?
08-27-2017 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.