UC adds Penn State transfer TJ Johnson, Cornerback

08-24-2017 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: UC adds Penn State transfer TJ Johnson, Cornerback
Another in the long ling of kids who wasted a year believing falsehoods from a big program rather than going to a situation where you can flourish. Here's hoping he can come in here and make an impact, he's got a great frame for a DB, that's for sure.

08-24-2017 06:15 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-24-2017 06:15 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Another in the long ling of kids who wasted a year believing falsehoods from a big program rather than going to a situation where you can flourish. Here's hoping he can come in here and make an impact, he's got a great frame for a DB, that's for sure.

Yep. Not too many corners that are 6'3" 185 lb. Euclid High School grad in NE Ohio to boot. Never hurts from an in-state recruiting aspect.

08-24-2017 07:59 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Did the clown we have prior to CLF even bother recruiting this kid?

08-24-2017 08:35 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(08-24-2017 08:35 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Did the clown we have prior to CLF even bother recruiting this kid?

Don't remember this kid's recruitment but from the timeline it looks like he was fielding MAC offers and then got an offer from Penn St. the day before signing day. My guess is he was filling a spot after other targets went elsewhere.

08-24-2017 08:50 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(08-24-2017 06:01 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/...-106462804

A 6'3 DB is pretty hard to complain about.

08-24-2017 08:52 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-24-2017 08:50 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(08-24-2017 08:35 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Did the clown we have prior to CLF even bother recruiting this kid?

Don't remember this kid's recruitment but from the timeline it looks like he was fielding MAC offers and then got an offer from Penn St. the day before signing day. My guess is he was filling a spot after other targets went elsewhere.

Per a Scout article, we were the first school to offer him out of high school.

Also 2017 verbal Arquon Bush is from the same high school.

08-25-2017 05:19 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I assume he has to sit out this year per NCAA transfer rules?

08-25-2017 07:19 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(08-25-2017 07:19 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  I assume he has to sit out this year per NCAA transfer rules?
^^^
This. This is my question too.

08-25-2017 07:25 AM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

(08-25-2017 07:25 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(08-25-2017 07:19 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  I assume he has to sit out this year per NCAA transfer rules?
^^^

Per Chad Brendel, sits out this year, has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

08-25-2017 07:31 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Yes. He will be eligible next season and have three years.

08-25-2017 07:31 AM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

(08-24-2017 06:15 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Another in the long ling of kids who wasted a year believing falsehoods from a big program rather than going to a situation where you can flourish.

I'm all for UC being the backup plan for Ohio kids. This doesn't bother me at all. A UC team full of kids who were second stringers at OSU/Penn St/Michigan can win the AAC every year.

Here's to hoping we get many more. 04-cheers

08-25-2017 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline

(08-25-2017 07:54 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(08-24-2017 06:15 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Another in the long ling of kids who wasted a year believing falsehoods from a big program rather than going to a situation where you can flourish.

I'm all for UC being the backup plan for Ohio kids. This doesn't bother me at all. A UC team full of kids who were second stringers at OSU/Penn St/Michigan can win the AAC every year.

Oh I agree...it's just a shame that so many kids lose years worth of system development because they can't realize they're the 10th choice somewhere else. This kid was offered almost on signing day by PSU, they basically took advantage of someone who really wasn't going to make much of an impact...hell there are stories like this everywhere.

I look at Sam Longo, and remember some of the things he said about his recruitment and how much he wished others would learn from it.

08-25-2017 08:11 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2017 07:31 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  
(08-25-2017 07:25 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
^^^

Per Chad Brendel, sits out this year, has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Danke schoen!

08-25-2017 08:18 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2017 08:11 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Oh I agree...it's just a shame that so many kids lose years worth of system development because they can't realize they're the 10th choice somewhere else. This kid was offered almost on signing day by PSU, they basically took advantage of someone who really wasn't going to make much of an impact...hell there are stories like this everywhere.

I look at Sam Longo, and remember some of the things he said about his recruitment and how much he wished others would learn from it.

I generally agree with your post, but you are asking a lot of a 16-17 year old kid in a world where the media and often family and friends are telling them its P5 or bust.

Its easy to say in this day that NFL teams can find you anywhere, but that attraction of playing in 100,000 seat stadiums and on ABC/CBS/ESPN every week vs. half empty stadiums in the AAC on ESPN3 is very enticing.

08-25-2017 08:19 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(08-25-2017 08:19 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

I generally agree with your post, but you are asking a lot of a 16-17 year old kid in a world where the media and often family and friends are telling them its P5 or bust.

Its easy to say in this day that NFL teams can find you anywhere, but that attraction of playing in 100,000 seat stadiums and on ABC/CBS/ESPN every week vs. half empty stadiums in the AAC on ESPN3 is very enticing.

Oh no, I understand that. Hell, I see it every year from at least a few players either on my team or in our conference...it's just a product of the culture, and unfortunately many of these kids don't have people asking them the right questions. Most coaches only care about being able to say where they send students, the players only care about twitter buzz, and the parents are looking for something else in communities like Euclid or the city areas.

08-25-2017 09:00 AM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(08-25-2017 09:00 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(08-25-2017 08:19 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Oh no, I understand that. Hell, I see it every year from at least a few players either on my team or in our conference...it's just a product of the culture, and unfortunately many of these kids don't have people asking them the right questions. Most coaches only care about being able to say where they send students, the players only care about twitter buzz, and the parents are looking for something else in communities like Euclid or the city areas.

At a lot of high schools, even a "three star" prospect is the best player on his team, and sometimes the best player that has played for the school in years. It's tough to break the news that, objectively, a particular prospect is unlikely to make the two-deep at a high P5 program. They, and everyone around them, want to believe differently.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017 09:26 AM by Former Lurker.)
08-25-2017 09:26 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

And the other thing is recruiting is far from an exact science. Just because this kid was a last minute recruit at PSU doesn't mean he can't blow up and end up being a star. Fickel had a reputation for finding some of these guys at OSU. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get these guys straight out of high school but I can't blame a kid for trying to make it at the highest level for a year or two before deciding his best opportunity to play is elsewhere.

08-25-2017 10:54 AM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(08-25-2017 10:54 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  And the other thing is recruiting is far from an exact science. Just because this kid was a last minute recruit at PSU doesn't mean he can't blow up and end up being a star. Fickel had a reputation for finding some of these guys at OSU. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get these guys straight out of high school but I can't blame a kid for trying to make it at the highest level for a year or two before deciding his best opportunity to play is elsewhere.

This is true. The NFL is full of three-star recruits who were passed over by the top programs, but had the potential to develop. Most of UC's players who have gone on to play on Sundays fit this niche.

08-25-2017 12:04 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-25-2017 07:54 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  [quote='BearcatMan' pid='14525159' dateline='1503616550']
Another in the long ling of kids who wasted a year believing falsehoods from a big program rather than going to a situation where you can flourish.

I don't think this is true and unfairly impugns some of our conference members. Houston, UCF and Louisville each as AAC champion defeated Florida State, Baylor and Florida,respectively, so winning the conference championship in the AAC is not as easy as you are characterizing it to be. Temple won the championship last year and that was a very good and underrated team.

08-25-2017 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.