and strengthens their chief competitor at the same time
08-22-2017 08:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Kyrie to Celtics for Thomas
Given the situation with Kyrie wanting out of Cleveland, it looks like a good deal for the Cavs.
08-22-2017 08:48 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
LBJ's last year in CLE
08-22-2017 09:05 PM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
So they give up a guy who led them to the best record in the east for a guy who wants to be the man more than winning.... Not sure if that was a good trade.
08-22-2017 11:44 PM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-22-2017 11:44 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  So they give up a guy who led them to the best record in the east for a guy who wants to be the man more than winning.... Not sure if that was a good trade.

Cavs also got Jae Crowder...they upgraded big time IMO
Isaiah will also help take PG duties off LBJ. IMO LBJ was the de facto point for the Cavs.
08-23-2017 12:21 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Cavs struggled defensively last year...Crowder should help with that while Thomas will hurt them in that area.

Will be interesting
08-23-2017 08:02 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2017 11:44 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  So they give up a guy who led them to the best record in the east for a guy who wants to be the man more than winning.... Not sure if that was a good trade.

I really think this trade was to give them a legit shot at the finals in two years. This year the Cavs return to the finals. However, it is very possible that LBJ and IT both leave Cleveland after this coming season. After that, it leaves the door wide open for Boston to make a finals run and then deal with trying to resign Kyrie after that year.

IT is good but he is 5'9", coming off a hip injury and going to demand a max deal after this season. Boston wanted to move him and they got a younger, bigger and better PG in return. Really a pretty good deal for both sides since Cleveland got the Brooklyn pick to help rebuild after LBJ bolts.
08-23-2017 08:12 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-23-2017 08:02 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Cavs struggled defensively last year...Crowder should help with that while Thomas will hurt them in that area.

Will be interesting

FWIW, I heard a pundit on the radio today state that Kyrie is an inconsistent defender. If so, the net defensive impact of switching KE for IT maybe minimal.
08-23-2017 08:55 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(08-23-2017 08:55 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(08-23-2017 08:02 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Cavs struggled defensively last year...Crowder should help with that while Thomas will hurt them in that area.

Will be interesting

FWIW, I heard a pundit on the radio today state that Kyrie is an inconsistent defender. If so, the net defensive impact of switching KE for IT maybe minimal.

Agreed...Kyrie was suspect on the defensive end...But he could play when challenged...IT just doesn't have the physical tools to guard bigger guards.
08-23-2017 09:01 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-23-2017 09:01 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Will be interesting

Agreed...Kyrie was suspect on the defensive end...But he could play when challenged...IT just doesn't have the physical tools to guard bigger guards.

Good point.
08-23-2017 09:14 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-22-2017 08:48 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Given the situation with Kyrie wanting out of Cleveland, it looks like a good deal for the Cavs.

IF LBJ leaves after next year this may end up being a good deal. I think they fall short of the Finals this year because of this. Uncertainty around your star player affects the supporting players quite a bit. I think they should have looked at releasing LBJ and keep Kyrie. Maybe work something out this year for them both, then give LBJ walking papers before he leaves them SOL like he did before when he went to Miami.
08-23-2017 02:56 PM
Advertisement

bsp34 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mississippi St.
Great deal for Cleveland. Kyrie wanted out and they got a great return for him. IT is a stud, Crowder will help on D AND they get Brooklyn's 1st rounder.
08-23-2017 03:51 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity

Will be interesting

Kyrie has been a poor defender for years. Goes under on every pick, poor at switching. Just doesn't give much effort. Cleveland has such little competition in the East, that they have coasted a lot. Only won 51 games last year, 16 less than Golden State.

But Kyrie is probably the toughest point guard to stay in front of in the league, and with Westbrook and Harden probably the best finishing guards in the league. So he gets a bit of a pass.

Isaiah, on the other hand, is just a bad defender, and can't do a whole lot to improve. Boston and Ainge had obviously decided that they didn't want to pay him max money next summer.

Still think Cleveland won the trade, but I see Ainge's rational.
08-23-2017 05:47 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
Just to be more clear, I think it was a bad trade for Boston, not Cleveland. Boston has a guy who wants stats more than wins. Boston gave up a guy that led them to the best record in the east to get a guy who could have been playing for championships but chose to leave so he could be the man. If he was the scoring champ on a losing team that didn't make the playoffs, seems he would be fine with that.
08-23-2017 11:09 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(08-23-2017 11:09 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Just to be more clear, I think it was a bad trade for Boston, not Cleveland. Boston has a guy who wants stats more than wins. Boston gave up a guy that led them to the best record in the east to get a guy who could have been playing for championships but chose to leave so he could be the man. If he was the scoring champ on a losing team that didn't make the playoffs, seems he would be fine with that.

Kyrie been talking to Kobe...

Guess Kobe convinced Kyrie that Lebron was his Shaq.
08-24-2017 08:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.