Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the Patriot League sponsor hockey?
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Would the Patriot League sponsor hockey?
There is a board rumor that the Patriot League will sponsor hockey.

Four members already have varsity teams: BU, Holy Cross, Army, Colgate.

Holy Cross is scheduled to begin play in the much bigger Worcester Arena (DCU Center).

Air Force would join for hockey only. Maybe Navy starts varsity.

American International, which has upgraded to Mass Mutual Center, is also implicated.

Lehigh can start a team using the PPL Center in Allentown.

But why would BU be a party to this? Since hockey is its main sport, think it would move back to America East to avoid this. Maybe BC will eventually leave HE for an ACC league with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt and some MAC teams and then BU would want out?
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 01:47 AM by NoDak.)
08-18-2017 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
RE: Would the Patriot League sponsor hockey?
BU won't do anything to screw up Hockey East. BC either they don't want to play ACC schools in hockey unless they have to.
08-19-2017 07:49 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-19-2017 07:49 AM)Minutemen429 Wrote:  BU won't do anything to screw up Hockey East. BC either they don't want to play ACC schools in hockey unless they have to.

One would think that BU considered this a possibility before it joined and got the bylaws rewritten to exclude the possibility.

But also would think it's conceivable that Lehigh or Lafayette may start hockey, as neither are far from Allentown's new PPL Center, which cost a fortune to house an AHL team. The PPL Center just got awarded an NCAA regional. Penn St's success at the gate seems to have waken up Pennsylvania's universities to hockey.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 09:08 AM by NoDak.)
08-19-2017 09:02 AM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
I cant see ND wanting to leave the B10 or BC leaving Hockey East to be part of ACC with newbies like Syracuse and Pitt unless the ACC demanded it. More likely should Syracuse or Pitt ever sponsor mens hockey they would join hockey east or BIG.
Curious though, how does a conference decide it will sponsor a sport? Does the leadership declare we will now sponsor "x" ? do schools that sponsor a sport approach the league and ask that it be sponsored? Do league members vote (even if they don't sponsor that sport)? I didn't follow every report, but I seem to remember the BIG announcing it would sponsor hockey and schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin not being overly enthused about it
08-19-2017 09:28 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-19-2017 09:28 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  I cant see ND wanting to leave the B10 or BC leaving Hockey East to be part of ACC with newbies like Syracuse and Pitt unless the ACC demanded it. More likely should Syracuse or Pitt ever sponsor mens hockey they would join hockey east or BIG.
Curious though, how does a conference decide it will sponsor a sport? Does the leadership declare we will now sponsor "x" ? do schools that sponsor a sport approach the league and ask that it be sponsored? Do league members vote (even if they don't sponsor that sport)? I didn't follow every report, but I seem to remember the BIG announcing it would sponsor hockey and schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin not being overly enthused about it

Think it depends on conference bylaws. Heard the B1G requires participation if six schools sponsor a sport, but have also heard a denial of that. But the bottom line is money, and if the ACC can get more valued programming for its upcoming network, it may force the issue.

But even the B1G didn't start hockey until Penn St had the program running for a few years.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 09:36 AM by NoDak.)
08-19-2017 09:34 AM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Usually it is automatic if the number of schools is over a certain threshold (typically six, the minimum for an AQ in most sports). Some conferences have moved to sponsor a sport with fewer of their own members, typically to accommodate new members from realignment (such as the Sun Belt and men's soccer), or simply as a service to their members.
08-19-2017 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dreamlander Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois
(08-19-2017 09:28 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  Curious though, how does a conference decide it will sponsor a sport? Does the leadership declare we will now sponsor "x" ? do schools that sponsor a sport approach the league and ask that it be sponsored? Do league members vote (even if they don't sponsor that sport)? I didn't follow every report, but I seem to remember the BIG announcing it would sponsor hockey and schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin not being overly enthused about it
In the B1G, the schools who actually play the sport approach the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors with a proposal for sanctioning the sport. The council consists of either the President or Chancellor from each member university of the B1G. Six schools are required for the B1G to sanction a conference sponsored sport with a championship.

The following article from Minnesota's Star Tribune explains with more detail how the B1G Hockey Conference formed: The Roman Empire: It's official, Big Ten Hockey Conference to start in 2013-14
08-19-2017 12:20 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(08-19-2017 12:20 PM)dreamlander Wrote:  
(08-19-2017 09:28 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  Curious though, how does a conference decide it will sponsor a sport? Does the leadership declare we will now sponsor "x" ? do schools that sponsor a sport approach the league and ask that it be sponsored? Do league members vote (even if they don't sponsor that sport)? I didn't follow every report, but I seem to remember the BIG announcing it would sponsor hockey and schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin not being overly enthused about it
In the B1G, the schools who actually play the sport approach the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors with a proposal for sanctioning the sport. The council consists of either the President or Chancellor from each member university of the B1G. Six schools are required for the B1G to sanction a conference sponsored sport with a championship.

The following article from Minnesota's Star Tribune explains with more detail how the B1G Hockey Conference formed: The Roman Empire: It's official, Big Ten Hockey Conference to start in 2013-14

That article makes it sound like the administration at both Minnesota and Wisconsin wanted the Big 10 to sponsor hockey. So regardless of what the fans wanted, the schools were for it.
08-19-2017 02:34 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-19-2017 02:34 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-19-2017 12:20 PM)dreamlander Wrote:  

That article makes it sound like the administration at both Minnesota and Wisconsin wanted the Big 10 to sponsor hockey. So regardless of what the fans wanted, the schools were for it.

Barry Alvarez didn't understand why Wisconsin would want the WCHA, as he was all-B1G all the way. For the Gophers, it was looked at as treasonous by the DII hockey schools to leave, even by some Minnie fans. Minnesota had a much more perilous route to B1G hockey. They invented the DQ Cup for Minnesota Hockey supremacy to assuage the critics, which were many, but have now stopped that tournament.
08-19-2017 06:04 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
If the Ivy isn't breaking off, neither will Patriot. Other sports have put this strain on PL where Ivy-like methods aren't panning out for the programs. As hockey is still this blend of programs and recruiting styles, there hasn't been the need.

(It should go without saying Boston would NEVER jeopardize this program unless they were willing to essentially end its prominence. Even if PL got rid of AI, the group is STILL not the clout that makes it worthwhile.)

Count me as one who thinks B1G is silly for being it's current size compared to the other eastern conferences. Until they had a big conference lined up, they should have stayed put in their respective places.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2017 08:38 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
08-21-2017 06:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.