Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Simple solution to the monument argument
MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Simple solution to the monument argument
Just move them to private property. They'd have no trouble at all finding people who want them. I'm sure the SCV or such groups would love to have them.
08-16-2017 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
RE: Simple solution to the monument argument
(08-16-2017 01:11 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Just move them to private property. They'd have no trouble at all finding people who want them. I'm sure the SCV or such groups would love to have them.

Maybe it'll come down to them saying, "not in my backyard". But, who knows it might work but knowing the Liberals it won't be good enough. They'll harass the people to no end.
08-16-2017 01:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Simpler solution. Let the local governments decide what to do. They were erected by those governments. They can be removed by those governments. We dont need anarchy.
08-16-2017 01:16 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(08-16-2017 01:11 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Just move them to private property. They'd have no trouble at all finding people who want them. I'm sure the SCV or such groups would love to have them.

The left has shown that they have no qualms with destroying, damaging, or stealing private property if they think it helps them advance their cause.

08-16-2017 01:18 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST

^^ I agree.

The only thing is access from the public should still be available and that can get tricky on private property. That is why I'm a proponent of putting them in museums.
08-16-2017 01:19 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Shiloh and Gettysburg have a crap ton of monuments. Who pays to move them?

What if the SUVCW, who speaks for the Union veterans, wants their monuments to go to? I don't know that they would, but they have always been pretty consistent about the two sides belonging together.

Of course, these monuments then become private and the government would no longer have any role on how they are interpreted or displayed.

A better idea would be for them to remain public property and be treated and maintained as other historical objects are and not as modern day political Maguffins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
08-16-2017 01:23 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 01:18 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  The left has shown that they have no qualms with destroying, damaging, or stealing private property if they think it helps them advance their cause.

That's what AR-15's are for 04-rock

Seriously though, just take these monuments and borrow a page from the VA Flaggers. When the local gov's up there took down Confederate flags, they put up some pretty large ones on private property in highly visible places. Do the same w/ these monuments. It gets them out of tax payers funded spaces (that's all they claim to want) and still visible to those who want to see/ honor them.
08-16-2017 01:28 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 01:28 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 01:18 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  The left has shown that they have no qualms with destroying, damaging, or stealing private property if they think it helps them advance their cause.

Seriously though, just take these monuments and borrow a page from the VA Flaggers. When the local gov's up there took down Confederate flags, they put up some pretty large ones on private property in highly visible places. Do the same w/ these monuments. It gets them out of tax payers funded spaces (that's all they claim to want) and still visible to those who want to see/ honor them.
I guess I am upset more about the loss of historical reunification and reconciliation than about the monuments themselves.

If we are going to have separate but equal Civil War battlefields....screw it. I have no interest. In that case its not the country I thought it was anyway and the memory of neither side matters.

A bunch of Adolf Hitlers in skinny jeans and polos would probably co-opt it anyway.

If it comes to that, just melt them all down and those for the revolution too.

08-16-2017 01:39 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Norfolk's mayor is proposing the city move the confederate monument to a cemetery in the city.
https://pilotonline.com/news/local/norfo...91695.html
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 01:50 PM by Monarchist13.)
08-16-2017 01:46 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 01:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Norfolk's mayor is proposing the city move the confederate monument to a cemetery in the city.
I read that. My solution would be to move the Carney statue out of the cemetery to a public place of high honor and leave the Confederate one alone.

But I am not politically correct.

08-16-2017 01:52 PM
MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 01:52 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  But I am not politically correct.

I'm not either. My suggestion was just to make sure the monuments aren't destroyed altogether. Moving them to Civil War battlefields would be ok with me too.

My perfect place to relocate the NBF statue in Memphis would be to buy some land on west bound I-40 just inside the Shelby County line. That interstate is traveled by a thousands of cars daily. Clear the land, put up the statue and about a 50 ft tall flagpole with a large Confederate flag, light it up at night and lastly install a billboard that says "Welcome to Memphis, home of beloved General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA".

Private property, outside the city limits, nothing the fools that run the city could do about it. Just sit back and watch them lose their minds. Oh, and protestors aren't welcome either.
08-16-2017 02:07 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Online
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(08-16-2017 01:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Simpler solution. Let the local governments decide what to do. They were erected by those governments. They can be removed by those governments. We dont need anarchy.

Sometimes local doesn't get it. For example, in Memphis the Nathan Bedford Forest Memorial (map) is not only a monument but also where he is interred.

State law prevents disturbing a grave.
08-16-2017 02:11 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Simple solution...no.
08-16-2017 02:12 PM
hoopfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: hoops
(08-16-2017 02:07 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 01:52 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  But I am not politically correct.

I'm not either. My suggestion was just to make sure the monuments aren't destroyed altogether. Moving them to Civil War battlefields would be ok with me too.

My perfect place to relocate the NBF statue in Memphis would be to buy some land on west bound I-40 just inside the Shelby County line. That interstate is traveled by a thousands of cars daily. Clear the land, put up the statue and about a 50 ft tall flagpole with a large Confederate flag, light it up at night and lastly install a billboard that says "Welcome to Memphis, home of beloved General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA".

Private property, outside the city limits, nothing the fools that run the city could do about it. Just sit back and watch them lose their minds. Oh, and protestors aren't welcome either.

You said a simple solution. This is complex as hell. Leaving everything alone is a simple solution.
08-16-2017 02:15 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-16-2017 01:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Norfolk's mayor is proposing the city move the confederate monument to a cemetery in the city.

Not a bad solution.

But I doubt that would stop the left from trying to remove it from the cemetery next.
08-16-2017 02:15 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-16-2017 01:28 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

Yea, because the solution to property crimes is to just kill people. Mmkay. If that's what you're going with, wow...just wow.
08-16-2017 02:18 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Everyone of the people at the protesters on both sides should spend a day or two at the Andersonville National Historic site. They would be holding hands and crying together before it was over.

All of this is senseless
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 04:43 PM by shere khan.)
08-16-2017 04:40 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

If I was a supporter of keeping the Confederate statues, I would be pissed that the White Supremacists were allowed to associate themselves with the South.
08-16-2017 04:48 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(08-16-2017 04:40 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Everyone of the people at the protests on both sides should spend a day or two at the Andersonville National Historic site. They would be holding hands and crying together before it was over.

All of this is senseless
08-16-2017 04:52 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 04:48 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

If I was a supporter of keeping the Confederate statues, I would be pissed that the White Supremacists were allowed to associate themselves with the South.
It sounds good at first, but we are better off with the US Park Service and such having some say. We are also better off with Union and Confederate historical objects together on the same ground.

This needs to be a national remembrance or none at all. A segregated and seperate Civil War memorialization was not the goal of Mr. Lincoln...he would have said "mix 'em up".

08-16-2017 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.