Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MLK Jr. Monument - Anti-LGBT... tear it down!
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
MLK Jr. Monument - Anti-LGBT... tear it down!
Let us rid our fine country of any monument or reference to the anti-gay bigot, Martin Luther King Jr.

I say we demand the removal of the MLK monument in DC, and start re-naming our streets.

From an advice column in Ebony Magazine in which MLK Jr. responded to a boy's question about his homosexual feelings:

"Question: My problem is different from the ones most people have. I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don’t want my parents to know about me. What can I do? Is there any place where I can go for help?

Dr. King: Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconsciously repressed. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. In order to do this I would suggest that you see a good psychiatrist who can assist you in bringing to the forefront of conscience all of those experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it."
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 10:20 AM by ECUGrad07.)
08-16-2017 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: MLK Jr. Monument - Anti-LGBT... tear it down!
That's biblical ..... but he's still a bigot. Monuments and streets need to go.
08-16-2017 10:23 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-16-2017 10:16 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Let us rid our fine country of any monument or reference to the anti-gay bigot, Martin Luther King Jr.

I say we demand the removal of the MLK monument in DC, and start re-naming our streets.

From an advice column in Ebony Magazine in which MLK Jr. responded to a boy's question about his homosexual feelings:

"Question: My problem is different from the ones most people have. I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don’t want my parents to know about me. What can I do? Is there any place where I can go for help?

Dr. King: Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconsciously repressed. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. In order to do this I would suggest that you see a good psychiatrist who can assist you in bringing to the forefront of conscience all of those experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it."

And then he ran out and hired one of about 10 open Gay men in the entire country at the time to be his strategist (Bayard Rustin) and defended him when people tried to get rid of him, at some personal cost. Heck, compared to his peers - white AND black, he was probably more helpful than just about anyone in the country at the time, bad advice notwithstanding.

And Coretta Scott King was a huge supporter of Gay rights.

Do I like what MLK said in the 1960s? Nope. Do the statues need to be hauled down. No.

----

And do you think that statues of white Republicans who opposed LGBT inclusion be hauled down? If not, then you're being disingenuous at best, and cynical at most.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 10:35 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
08-16-2017 10:27 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Careful, the thought police will not like this post.

"They are playing a game. They are playing at not playing a game. If I show them I see they are, I shall break the rules and they will punish me. I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game"

R.D. Laing
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 10:30 AM by shere khan.)
08-16-2017 10:30 AM
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(08-16-2017 10:27 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 10:16 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Let us rid our fine country of any monument or reference to the anti-gay bigot, Martin Luther King Jr.

And then he ran out and hired one of about 10 open Gay men in the entire country at the time to be his strategist (Bayard Rustin) and defended him when people tried to get rid of him, at some personal cost.

Do I like what MLK said in the 1960s? Nope. Do the statues need to be hauled down. No.

----

And do you think that statues of white Republicans who opposed LGBT inclusion be hauled down? If not, then you're being disingenuous at best, and cynical at most.

[Image: latest?cb=20130218211325]
08-16-2017 10:32 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-16-2017 10:30 AM)shere khan Wrote:  Careful, the thought police will not like this post.

"They are playing a game. They are playing at not playing a game. If I show them I see they are, I shall break the rules and they will punish me. I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game"

R.D. Laing

that's some 'clubber lang' right there.....

my kinda salt....
08-16-2017 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
You guys just don't get it...

Confederates were literal traitors to our country that fought and killed Americans so that they could try and continue to own other people.

MLK didn't understand gay people...

This false equivalency crap and hyperbolic claims are getting old.

You can just say that you are losing the culture war and your scared they will continue to take away your participation trophies. It's ok, your second place statues are welcome in museums where people actually go to learn history.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 10:41 AM by Godzilla.)
08-16-2017 10:40 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 10:40 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  You guys just don't get it...

Confederates were literal traitors to our country that fought and killed Americans so that they could try and continue to own other people.

You can just say that you are losing the culture war and your scared they will continue to take away your participation trophies. It's ok, your second place statues are welcome in museums where people actually go to learn history.

And the bigots who advocate our exclusion largely don't buy into MLK's ideology. Sure, they might cherry pick, or pay a distant relative money to use her name to try to use her last name in their campaign of hate (Alveda King), but that's about it.
08-16-2017 10:44 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA

if Confederate soldiers were traitors, why are they regarded as United States Veterans? 07-coffee3
08-16-2017 10:44 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

And then he ran out and hired one of about 10 open Gay men in the entire country at the time to be his strategist (Bayard Rustin) and defended him when people tried to get rid of him, at some personal cost. Heck, compared to his peers - white AND black, he was probably more helpful than just about anyone in the country at the time, bad advice notwithstanding.

----

You can't use that as a defense unless you plan to be consistent. Trump has condemned racism & hate for decades.
08-16-2017 10:47 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2017 10:47 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  

----

You can't use that as a defense unless you plan to be consistent. Trump has condemned racism & hate for decades.

MLK walked the walk too.

Trump has engaged in racism for his entire life. From redlining in his apartment developments, to racism on his TV show, to Birtherism....Trumps words ring hollow because virtually everything he does is racist or is designed to appeal to racists.

Saying you oppose racism, and then retracting it the next day doesn't count.
08-16-2017 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Lol....this country was literally created and built by traitors. 02-13-banana
08-16-2017 10:52 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-16-2017 10:40 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  MLK didn't understand gay people...

actually, I think the term you're looking for is double standard
08-16-2017 10:54 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(08-16-2017 10:54 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 10:40 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  MLK didn't understand gay people...

actually, I think the term you're looking for is double standard
Just complete stupidity and believing whatever lie makes them feel comfortable in the moment. It's really not complicated.
08-16-2017 11:03 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

(08-16-2017 10:44 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

if Confederate soldiers were traitors, why are they regarded as United States Veterans? 07-coffee3

Appeasement in an attempt to reunify the country. They were trying to avoid a second civil war. 07-coffee3
08-16-2017 11:04 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12

Start a petition and see if you can put it to a vote.
08-16-2017 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

(08-16-2017 10:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

LOL rebellion of your colonial ruler and rebellion of your own country are the same to you?
08-16-2017 11:10 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(08-16-2017 11:10 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  

LOL rebellion of your colonial ruler and rebellion of your own country are the same to you?

History is written by the victors.

Had the British won, you'd be calling the Founding Fathers traitors.
08-16-2017 11:14 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(08-16-2017 11:14 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 11:10 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  

History is written by the victors.

Had the British won, you'd be calling the Founding Fathers traitors.

And so we continue in a world that doesn't exist.
08-16-2017 11:16 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

Apparently not seeing as how confederates call themselves patriots.
08-16-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.