Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DOJ seeking records on visitors to anti-Trump website, sparking privacy fight
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
DOJ seeking records on visitors to anti-Trump website, sparking privacy fight
Quote:The Department of Justice is seeking personal information on visitors to an anti-Trump website connected to destructive Inauguration Day protests, sparking a court fight with the hosting service which says the request violates privacy protections.

The DOJ has obtained a search warrant ordering web-hosting service DreamHost “to assist law enforcement and produce such electronic data.”

The department wants data including IP addresses, names and other personal information pertaining to visitors to the website disruptj20.org, which helped organize political protests against the Trump administration.

More than 200 people were charged after protesters broke windows and set fire to a limousine on Trump's Inauguration Day on Jan. 20. Prosecutors say the website disruptj20.org was used for planning the disturbances.

DreamHost, however, says the warrant seeking information on the 1.3 million visitors to the site and other information is "sweeping" and violates the Constitution and a federal privacy law.

In its own filing, the company said the warrant requires them to “turn over every piece of information it has about every visitor to a website expressing political views concerning the current administration … Including the IP address for the visitor, the website pages viewed by the visitor, even a detailed description of software running in the visitor’s computer.

“In essence, the Search Warrant not only aims to identify the political dissidents of the current administration, but attempts to identify and understand what content each of these dissidents viewed on the website.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/...fight.html
08-15-2017 06:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
RE: DOJ seeking records on visitors to anti-Trump website, sparking privacy fight
Trump using the DOJ to violate the constitution and republicans will probably cheer them on. I think he might actually be evil, not just play it on TV.
08-15-2017 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: DOJ seeking records on visitors to anti-Trump website, sparking privacy fight
(08-15-2017 06:50 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  Trump using the DOJ to violate the constitution and republicans will probably cheer them on. I think he might actually be evil, not just play it on TV.
Trump is too stupid to be evil.

Sent from my SM-T357T using CSNbbs mobile app
08-15-2017 06:54 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Weaponizing government agencies against political opponents was wrong when Obama did it and it's still wrong.
08-15-2017 07:12 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
How conservative of him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
08-15-2017 07:14 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Key phrase here

Quote:More than 200 people were charged after protesters broke windows and set fire to a limousine on Trump's Inauguration Day on Jan. 20. Prosecutors say the website disruptj20.org was used for planning the disturbances.

If true then the data retrieved can be used to apply conspiracy charges against those already arrested.
08-15-2017 07:24 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(08-15-2017 07:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Key phrase here

Quote:More than 200 people were charged after protesters broke windows and set fire to a limousine on Trump's Inauguration Day on Jan. 20. Prosecutors say the website disruptj20.org was used for planning the disturbances.

If true then the data retrieved can be used to apply conspiracy charges against those already arrested.
That happened? I don't remember anyone reporting it.

08-15-2017 07:56 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

Warrant should be limited to the 200 arrested, not the 1.3 million that government has no damn business snooping on.

Ain't Trumps DOJ's business I think him a pos.

gts shouldn't be compelled to hand over this post and all my history and information unrelated to my opinion of the prick.
08-15-2017 08:13 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(08-15-2017 08:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Warrant should be limited to the 200 arrested, not the 1.3 million that government has no damn business snooping on.

gts shouldn't be compelled to hand over this post and all my history and information unrelated to my opinion of the prick.
I agree.

08-15-2017 08:17 PM
Kaplony Offline

(08-15-2017 08:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Warrant should be limited to the 200 arrested, not the 1.3 million that government has no damn business snooping on.

If the website was used to plan and coordinate the illegal actions then yes they do have the right to know who was there to determine if there should be additional charges.
08-15-2017 08:18 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(08-15-2017 06:50 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  Trump using the DOJ to violate the constitution and republicans will probably cheer them on. I think he might actually be evil, not just play it on TV.
Violate the constitution? They asked and when the information was not volunteered, they got a warrant. Textbook constitution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-15-2017 08:28 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(08-15-2017 07:12 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Weaponizing government agencies against political opponents was wrong when Obama did it and it's still wrong.
Did Obama get a warrant? What the article doesn't say is why they wanted the info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-15-2017 08:30 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't see a problem.

It's being used in connection with criminal prosecutions.
08-15-2017 08:39 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Maybe this will lead to the people who actually planned it and used the 200 and there buddies to cause all the property damage.
08-15-2017 09:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-15-2017 07:56 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(08-15-2017 07:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Key phrase here

That happened? I don't remember anyone reporting it.

CNN? Unless the Russians were involved, why would they? 03-lmfao

My guess is there are some pretty incriminating comments on the site.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 11:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-15-2017 11:35 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-15-2017 08:39 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't see a problem.

XACLY!

this isn't even in the parking lot at the ballpark of NSA, 1984, or any form of "overreaching"....
08-16-2017 05:26 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(08-16-2017 05:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

XACLY!

this isn't even in the parking lot at the ballpark of NSA, 1984, or any form of "overreaching"....

You have to note the only people complaining are the ones who if Trump came out in 10 minutes and announced he had created a cure for cancer and had passed legislation that it only cost $5 they would complain about price fixing and the fact that he had put all the cancer researchers out of work. TDS is strong with that bunch.
08-16-2017 09:11 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-16-2017 09:11 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 05:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

XACLY!

You have to note the only people complaining are the ones who if Trump came out in 10 minutes and announced he had created a cure for cancer and had passed legislation that it only cost $5 they would complain about price fixing and the fact that he had put all the cancer researchers out of work. TDS is strong with that bunch.

He couldn't even spell chemistry, but that would be nice.
08-16-2017 09:18 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

Being consistent isn't any derangement syndrome. Flip flopping however is.
08-16-2017 09:22 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
I dont see a problem here, this website was instrumental in coordinating crimes on election day
08-16-2017 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.