Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA offseason baseball thread
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Question CUSA offseason baseball thread
Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

Should have some scheduling news over the next few months. LSU was the first to release their schedule, with others to follow in the coming weeks. Things really pick up in September and October. Working on a CUSA scheduling sheet that includes all 12 conference teams. Not much yet, but have a couple USM and LaTech games filled.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Also working on a returning production sheet. This is going to change over the fall and winter, since only one team has released their official roster for 2018 (MTSU). The current sheet assumes that all non-seniors that weren't drafted will return for 2018. Obviously, this isn't going to happen, because of transfers/departures. But it should give people a decent idea of what teams lose/return for 2018.

I used innings pitched as the metric for returning production on the mound. I used "bases earned" as the metric for returning production at the plate. The formula is total bases + HBP + BB + SB - GIDP - CS. Not perfect, but I feel like this should be fairly reliable.

[Image: O0g76uX.png]

[Image: wx48kIj.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017 12:40 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-12-2017 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

eaglebeaver Offline
All American

I Root For: southern miss
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread
(08-12-2017 06:42 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

Should have some scheduling news over the next few months. LSU was the first to release their schedule, with others to follow in the coming weeks. Things really pick up in September and October. Working on a CUSA scheduling sheet that includes all 12 conference teams. Not much yet, but have a couple USM and LaTech games filled.

Also working on a returning production sheet. This is going to change over the fall and winter, since only one team has released their official roster for 2018 (MTSU). The current sheet assumes that all non-seniors that weren't drafted will return for 2018. Obviously, this isn't going to happen, because of transfers/departures. But it should give people a decent idea of what teams lose/return for 2018.

I used innings pitched as the metric for returning production on the mound. I used "bases earned" as the metric for returning production at the plate. The formula is total bases + HBP + BB + SB - GIDP - CS. Not perfect, but I feel like this should be fairly reliable.

[Image: jm0hAsX.png]

[Image: XGJR9o8.png]

Boring Satdee huh Beagle?04-cheers
08-12-2017 07:32 PM
Volkmar Offline
1st String

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world, but you just might be (lol). Impressive that you're already starting spreadsheets and stuff this far removed from the upcoming season.
08-12-2017 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: Rice:NatlChamps
Lots to digest there, but let's start by underlining Marshall's returning pitching. 98.5% of innings pitched returning. Let that sink in.

I don't know how often - if ever - you'll see a college team in ANY sport return 98.5% of ANYTHING.
08-13-2017 07:04 AM

RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
We're gonna be terrible next year. Returning next to nothing.
08-13-2017 06:01 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 06:01 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  We're gonna be terrible next year. Returning next to nothing.

You guys have a couple of JUCO transfers I like. Ben Stiglets is a JCJC guy that led the MACJC in ERA and WHIP. Not going to K a lot of guys but will get groundballs and won't walk anyone. Logan Robbins is another JCJC product that's going to log some serious innings for Tech. He's more of a strikeout guy than Stiglets.

I think Stiglets/Robbins/Griffen is a pretty competent rotation in this league. Don't think you guys have the offense or pitching depth to make a real run at the regular season title or a regional. But I'd bet on Tech making it to Biloxi somewhere in the 4-6 seed range.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 08:53 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-13-2017 08:52 PM
Mr. Bojangles Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
Awesome thread! Always like to see some baseball talk!!

Charlotte has a nice OOC schedule so far for the 2018 season.

ECU will come to Charlotte for a weekend as part 2 of the H&H.

Arkansas will come to Charlotte for a weekend as the 1st part of a H&H.

Niners will travel to UGa for a weekend as a return trip from their visit here 2 years ago.

That's 3 pretty good weekends!
08-13-2017 09:07 PM

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 09:07 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  Awesome thread! Always like to see some baseball talk!!

Charlotte has a nice OOC schedule so far for the 2018 season.

ECU will come to Charlotte for a weekend as part 2 of the H&H.

Arkansas will come to Charlotte for a weekend as the 1st part of a H&H.

Niners will travel to UGa for a weekend as a return trip from their visit here 2 years ago.

That's 3 pretty good weekends!

Wow, that's outstanding. ECU and Arkansas playing you guys in a weekend series (in Charlotte, no less) is awesome.

Any idea of the dates for those games? Might put in a TBA part of the scheduling spreadsheet for games with no date yet.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 09:20 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-13-2017 09:18 PM
XYZ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
(08-12-2017 06:42 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

[Image: jm0hAsX.png]

[Image: XGJR9o8.png]

FIU is another school that has very few returning next season but has a large group of talented young players coming in especially on the mound. They did lose alot of recruits to the draft on offense as well as a couple to JUCO but still should be a good young team, though offensively will likely struggle. In a couple years though they should be back as a regional caliber team.
08-13-2017 09:35 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 09:35 PM)XYZ Wrote:  FIU is another school that has very few returning next season but has a large group of talented young players coming in especially on the mound. They did lose alot of recruits to the draft on offense as well as a couple to JUCO but still should be a good young team, though offensively will likely struggle. In a couple years though they should be back as a regional caliber team.

Agreed. Melendez is going to overhaul that roster and will have that program very competitive in a few years.

I like their frontline pitching. Tyler Myrick and Nick MacDonald were solid in 2017 as freshman. Very curious to see how Logan Allen and Christian Santana develop. That was a big deal getting both of them to sign.
08-13-2017 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.