Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So Monmouth is a CAA fb member when JMU goes FBS.
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
So Monmouth is a CAA fb member when JMU goes FBS.
Monmouth is completing a major renovation to its Kessler Stadium and is nearing 63 scholarships. Looks like the CAA has options when JMU or Stony Brook declare themselves FBS.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/...547409001/
08-12-2017 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

RE: So Monmouth is a CAA fb member when JMU goes FBS.
(08-12-2017 06:48 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Stony Brook? Have you seen how pathetic the AEC schools are in sports?

You need to stop hanging out the Denver cannabis houses.

... my bad I just fed the troll.

My WAG is the CAA would invite Stony Brook as a full member over Hofstra complaints, and then invite Duquesne as a Football only member should JMU join the MAC (replacing EMU shoudl they give up D-I). Those schools fit the league profile better.

Only seen that San Jose St is pathetic in all sports.
08-12-2017 06:56 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I agree Monmouth is next in line for CAA Football, but I'm not confident there will be any room at the inn anytime soon. The CAA will probably talk to Furman first, but I think they still elect to stay in the SoCon. The CAA then adds a non-football school to replace James Madison.

I've also seen nothing about Duquesne moving towards the full allotment of scholarships in FCS football, which is probably something that needs to happen before they move to CAA Football.
08-12-2017 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Guess the expanded Kessler Stadium does not meet the CAA's stadium requirement of 8000 seats. But Monmouth's accomplishment to start football and get it running as a respectable sport in football downtrodden NJ is quite amazing. Apparently, the Kessler's have some big money behind this venture. The whole northeast could learn from Monmouth.
08-12-2017 07:34 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If JMU leaves the CAA will make another push for Furman. The CAA is always after Furman. Furman will once again turn them down because the current Socon is arguably the best conference alignment Furman has ever had.

Then the CAA will have to make a decision. They will need a southern member to replace JMU for the southern schools. William and Mary in particular will be respected because if not W&M has the Patriot league to negotiate membership. Leverage is beautiful. So the question that needs to be asked if who the Tribe would want. VMI and Hampton are geographic fits but does the Tribe really want to share a conference with them?

The most logical replacement would be a UNCG/Monmouth FB combo. I don't know if the Tribe would go for that though. I just don't know how would be an even close to adequate replacement for JMU on the football side. I really don't think there is one since Furman isn't going anywhere.
08-13-2017 07:06 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Monmouth to the AAC to fill the void left by Rutgers departure to the B-10. Great travel partner for UCONN and Temple centered between them on the east coast of NJ. Grabs a chunk of the NJ, NYC TV market that Rutgers took to the B-10 with them. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana COGS 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 07-coffee3 04-cheers Rimshot 01-donnankungfu
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 08:03 AM by panite.)
08-13-2017 08:02 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

(08-13-2017 07:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  The most logical replacement would be a UNCG/Monmouth FB combo. I don't know if the Tribe would go for that though. I just don't know how would be an even close to adequate replacement for JMU on the football side. I really don't think there is one since Furman isn't going anywhere.
Who would the SoCon take to replace UNCG? Presuming they would want to keep the 9/10 alignment, would Lipscomb be an option?

Lipscomb/Samford
Chattanooga/ETSU
VMI/Western Carolina
Furman/Wofford
Mercer/The Citadel
08-13-2017 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(08-13-2017 07:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I just don't know how would be an even close to adequate replacement for JMU on the football side. I really don't think there is one since Furman isn't going anywhere.

Youngstown State
08-13-2017 09:12 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2017 09:12 AM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 07:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I just don't know how would be an even close to adequate replacement for JMU on the football side. I really don't think there is one since Furman isn't going anywhere.

Youngstown State

Stretching westward the geographic footprint of a FCS round robin conference that already goes from Boston to Charleston will be a tough sell.

If you were talking about football only than possibly. But I think the NE CAA football schools would prefer Monmouth
08-13-2017 01:42 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

(08-13-2017 01:42 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

Youngstown State

Stretching westward the geographic footprint of a FCS round robin conference that already goes from Boston to Charleston will be a tough sell.

If you were talking about football only than possibly. But I think the NE CAA football schools would prefer Monmouth
Youngstown is 5 hours closer to Charleston than Boston. College of Charleston and Northeastern don't sponsor football, and according to Google, the drive from Youngstown State to Elon is just under 8 hours. Maine, who is already in CAA Football, is twice as far from Elon.

YSU is closer to Albany than William & Mary.
08-13-2017 02:24 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2017 02:24 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  

Youngstown State

Youngstown is 5 hours closer to Charleston than Boston. College of Charleston and Northeastern don't sponsor football, and according to Google, the drive from Youngstown State to Elon is just under 8 hours. Maine, who is already in CAA Football, is twice as far from Elon.

Youngstown won't be getting in over Monmouth if the CAA has to add a football only member. That's just the reality of the situation.
08-13-2017 02:29 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

Youngstown State

But Youngstown is out of the footprint. Whether they're closer to Team A than Team X is doesn't change that. The school to which they're closest right now is JMU, ostensibly the school that they'd be replacing. They would be a geographic outlier. Maybe if you found them a travel partner, but who would that be? Possibly Duquesne if they showed any interest in going to full-scholarship football, but I've not heard of such talk from them.
08-13-2017 02:54 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-13-2017 02:29 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

Youngstown State

Youngstown won't be getting in over Monmouth if the CAA has to add a football only member. That's just the reality of the situation.

Would the CAA choose Monmouth over Robert Morris? RMU has also given football many resources and they have outgrown the NEC.
08-13-2017 03:21 PM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State

Youngstown State

I was for football only. Still think a CAA league and AE league would be the best options for both IMO.
08-13-2017 03:50 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Whatever gets Youngstown out of the MVFC!
08-13-2017 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.