Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MTSU, WKU, USM, and La Tech... who can contend for the Access Bowl?
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo and G5
MTSU, WKU, USM, and La Tech... who can contend for the Access Bowl?
08-12-2017 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

BKTopper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
RE: MTSU, WKU, USM, and La Tech... who can contend for the Access Bowl?
We have the schedule but all 4 are most definately contenders. UTSA will probably eventually ending up landing it though, couple years.
08-12-2017 10:15 PM
HogDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: LA Tech
(08-12-2017 10:15 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  UTSA will probably eventually ending up landing it though, couple years.

What a strange thing to say. 01-wingedeagle
08-12-2017 11:22 PM
MTPiKapp Offline

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I'm not sure any in that group are markedly better than the rest to go 9-0.
08-12-2017 11:57 PM

Volkmar Offline
1st String

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(08-12-2017 10:15 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  We have the schedule but all 4 are most definately contenders. UTSA will probably eventually ending up landing it though, couple years.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt it. Coach Wilson will likely be gone before we reach our full potential under him, along with the terrific coaches he has surrounded himself with.
08-13-2017 01:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(08-13-2017 01:07 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 10:15 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  We have the schedule but all 4 are most definately contenders. UTSA will probably eventually ending up landing it though, couple years.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt it. Coach Wilson will likely be gone before we reach our full potential under him, along with the terrific coaches he has surrounded himself with.

We all have to deal with that situation anytime we string together a few successful seasons in a row, but you're right, if UTSA has a good season this year, Wilson's name will be mentioned in some of the coaching searches that'll be going on at the end of the season. It's a shame that it's this way now. It makes it very hard to maintain momentum. USM showed just how horribly a bad coaching hire can affect a program.
08-13-2017 05:21 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-13-2017 05:21 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

We all have to deal with that situation anytime we string together a few successful seasons in a row, but you're right, if UTSA has a good season this year, Wilson's name will be mentioned in some of the coaching searches that'll be going on at the end of the season. It's a shame that it's this way now. It makes it very hard to maintain momentum. USM showed just how horribly a bad coaching hire can affect a program.

Interestingly, that very well may not be true for Old Dominion. Not only are the Monarchs going into their ninth season of football, they are doing it with the only head coach they have ever known. Bobby Wilder was hired in 2007 when the decision was made to bring football (back) to ODU. He started recruiting in 2008, and the team played it's first game in 2009.

ODU football is his baby. Bobby Wilder is ODU football. He has a 69% winning record (67-30) as a head coach, all at Old Dominion. If there is any football coach in C-USA who will not be enticed away following a strong record of success (which he already has), it's Bobby Wilder. Could he be pulled away? Sure, but it would most certainly take more to sway him to leave than it would any other coach in the conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 07:25 AM by ODU AGGIE.)
08-13-2017 07:24 AM

DogsWin1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(08-13-2017 07:24 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 05:21 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  We all have to deal with that situation anytime we string together a few successful seasons in a row, but you're right, if UTSA has a good season this year, Wilson's name will be mentioned in some of the coaching searches that'll be going on at the end of the season. It's a shame that it's this way now. It makes it very hard to maintain momentum. USM showed just how horribly a bad coaching hire can affect a program.

Interestingly, that very well may not be true for Old Dominion. Not only are the Monarchs going into their ninth season of football, they are doing it with the only head coach they have ever known. Bobby Wilder was hired in 2007 when the decision was made to bring football (back) to ODU. He started recruiting in 2008, and the team played it's first game in 2009.

ODU football is his baby. Bobby Wilder is ODU football. He has a 69% winning record (67-30) as a head coach, all at Old Dominion. If there is any football coach in C-USA who will not be enticed away following a strong record of success (which he already has), it's Bobby Wilder. Could he be pulled away? Sure, but it would most certainly take more to sway him to leave than it would any other coach in the conference.

03-lmfao Ok
08-13-2017 07:56 AM
MTPiKapp Offline

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(08-13-2017 05:21 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

Bobby Wilder is 53 and makes $650K, I also wouldn't agree that he has a "strong record of success" already, not at the FBS level anyhow, prior to 2016 he was 11-13 at the FBS level.

If you guys win the division this year, let alone the conference, there's a good chance he's gone after this year.

You wanna talk about a guy who I think is less likely to go anywhere? Rick Stockstill is 59, has been at Middle a year longer, makes more money, is under contract till 2024, and while MT football may not be his "baby", his actual son is the starting quarterback and Rick will turn 61 before the end of Brent's senior season.

Now this may boil down to it simply being less likely for another team to hire Rick at at least 61 after spending at least 13 seasons at Middle.

I think the last real chance for CRS to get hired away would be us winning ~25 games over the next two seasons and riding that success to another job.

If we see Stock on the MT sideline in 2019, I think he's there until he retires or is fired.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 10:15 AM by MTPiKapp.)
08-13-2017 10:15 AM
Dawgxas Offline
3rd&93

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(08-13-2017 07:56 AM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 05:21 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  We all have to deal with that situation anytime we string together a few successful seasons in a row, but you're right, if UTSA has a good season this year, Wilson's name will be mentioned in some of the coaching searches that'll be going on at the end of the season. It's a shame that it's this way now. It makes it very hard to maintain momentum. USM showed just how horribly a bad coaching hire can affect a program.

03-lmfao Ok

Statements like that are hilarious when some schools think they are immune.

Wilder has never been offered a P5 so he doesn't know that. He was losing FBS coach before last year (FCS doesn't matter) and is not a recruiter like Wilson. I haven't seen Wilder name even mentioned for AAC jobs.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 11:30 AM by Dawgxas.)
08-13-2017 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.